We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day trip best place to park

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
203 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
one day trip best place to park

Hi,

We are staying in Thorold and want to go into Toronto for a day (during the week) I have checked out many of the forums. I would never drive into DC during the week and certantly not NYC. I would think Toronto would be the same and parking would be difficult at best. Is this an accurate statement and is there somewhere just on the outskirts we could park and take the subway or another form of public transport?

Thank you in advance for your help. As always TA is the best source of info for planning any trip!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
786 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day trip best place to park

You can park in the dowtown core of the City at a green "P" parking lot. They are owned and operated by the City. Rates would be about $12-$15. for the day with no in and out privileges. Driving in the City is only bad during rush hours which are 7 to 9 in the morning and 4 to 7 in the evening. I would not worry about driving into and parking in the City.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day trip best place to park

If you're in Thorold, you could drive to Burlington, which is half way to Toronto, and take the GO Train to Union Station.

From Union Station, take the Subway to go uptown.

Go Train www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/Default.aspx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: one day trip best place to park

Yep, GO Transit would be the least hassle. Some of the commuter lots do tend to fill up, but they are pretty big. Just to be safe you might want to bring directions to two different lots along the line so you can drive in a little further if the first one's full.

If it was a weekend between June 27 and October 12, there's GO Train service from St. Catharines, much closer to Thorold (gotransit.com/public/…niagarafalls.htm).

Virginia
Level Contributor
203 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day trip best place to park

Thank you so much for the help. We don't have a problem driving into the city if there is parking. Hard to know if you aren't from there :) Thanks again for all the options and clearing that up for us!!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day trip best place to park

Aloha123, there's tons of parking in downtown, you just have to know where.

When we talk about Green P, it's the City of Toronto's own parking lots. Here's a link to the site, http://www.greenp.com/tpa/index.jsp; you'll have a better idea of where their lots are from there is you want to come right into town with the car.

The Eaton Centre has its own lot, there are huge lots down around St. Lawrence Market (altho they fill up early), many of the downtown office bldgs have their own, etc. So if you have a specific place where you want to go, check to see if they have parking on their own site.

Another place to park, BTW, would be to come into Toronto, and park in the Yorkdale parking lot, which is approximately Highway 401 & Dufferin. It's free parking, and there is subway access from there. If you don't go during commuter times, i.e. before 9, you can just go in, park, take the subway downtown, and then return before 9 pm Yorkdale closing (on wkdays, earlier on wkends).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day trip best place to park

Yes, if you do drive all the way into the city, the Green P garage under Nathan Phillips Square (at City Hall) is an excellent choice: greenp.com/tpa/…36.jsp . It's very central, only a block from the Eaton Centre (and a few bucks cheaper than their garages).

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day trip best place to park

+1 for Eaton Centre. Good location, close to Mall/Entertainment/Subway. No landmark/route to memorize if you are going to be touring around, CAN'T MISS THE MALL!!! hahaha.

-Monk

Springfield...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: one day trip best place to park

If we were to park at the city hall garage does anyone know if we can leave our car there for the weekend and how much it would be. I tried once to figure it out on the web site but I don't believe it was clear about overnights. Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day trip best place to park

Hi, bulbasaur;

this question is, coincidentally, being covered in a parallel thread right now. Check here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k28610…

mattInTO's second post has a couple of links that may answer your question.

cheers,

B&J

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: one day trip best place to park

The exact cost will vary depending on when you arrive and depart. Hotel parking is a flat nightly rate, even if you leave the car until check-out time on Monday. The Green P garage will start charging the weekday rate ($2/half hour) Monday at 7 am.