We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Via Rail "The Canadian"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Via Rail "The Canadian"

Our plan is to take "The Canadian" from Toronto to Vancouver next May (yes I plan way ahead), and then fly out of Vancouver to Hawaii. We thought it would be a great way to see Canada, something I haven't done yet. We are looking into the Silver and Blue class and getting a bedroom. Has anyone done this trip and would you recommend it?

183 replies to this topic
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

I have not done it but plan to do it myself. I will be anxious to read your report, should you take the trip. I think the trip will be spectacular.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

The trip to Hawaii sounds nice! Kidding..

This is a Looooong trip.

As long as you can catch a nap from Winnipeg to Calgary....you'll be oohing and aahing.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

Hi subgoddezz,

I have taken a similar trip years ago and it was one of the best trips ever. Taking the train through the mountains (when you get into Alberta, into British Columbia) was truly an awesome experience. You will see beautiful scenery while relaxing on the train. I had a bedroom and it was just great, the food was good, all in all I can't wait to do it again. You will love it! So yes, I would absolutely highly recommend it!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

I think we are pretty set on doing the train. Its pretty expensive but much cheaper going in May than the summer months. Its our second time in Hawaii and I just loved when we went 2 years ago. Can't wait to go back. We just thought instead of doing the usual flying out to Vancouver to catch connecting flights that we would take the train. I'm almost more excited about the train ride than Hawaii right now.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

Definitely heard it's spectacular, but you may want to join up with the train a little closer to Calgary; it is a bit of a snooze until you get closer to the Rockies...

If there's room in one of your bags, I'm not that big, and I've never been to Hawaii...I don't eat that much, and I'm relatively pleasant, after I've had my morning coffee...should you feel the need for an additional companion...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

Hi Sungoddezz,

I have seen most of "populated" Canada (by car) and the Train is definitely on my list of adventures I have yet to undertake.

As for the other posters who say take a snooze between Toronto and Calgary... bah-hum-bug... every Canadian should be so lucky to see our whole country... and even "the bits" that others might think a bit dull (I refuse to say boring) infact have a lot to offer... if you are willing to actually learn about them, not to mention meet the people.

*ok, I'm off the soapbox* LOL

You might want to post this Topic in two other spots to get even more feedback...

1. The VANCOUVER FORUM... lots of visitors (repeat visitors too) post there from Australia, New Zealand and the UK, and Cdn Train Travel is very popular with them.

2. The TRAIN TRAVEL FORUM... tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Also, be sure and find out when "The Canadian" is scheduled to go thru The Rockies... I know in the past that I've read of a train that does the best part sadly at night... make sure it isn't the one you are on.

And as much as FLYINMOM is willing to be smuggled into your luggage to Hawaii, tell her to meet you in Vancouver, because I'd like that spot for the train trip. ;-) *wink*

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

I tend to travel light (did 6 countries in Europe last summer with just a carry on bag) but it would be pretty cool to have all of you join me and just keep planning this till its time to go. I think even the boring parts of this journey will be exciting because I really enjoy the research and history that goes into each destination. Plus just sitting back and relaxing with be an added bonus. I'll post on the other forums as well.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

You are not planning way ahead...you are just extending the trip... I LOVE to plan my trips too! I actually planned this same trip at the same time of year (less$$) (with additions to go to the Queen Charlottes and Vancouver Island) a couple of years ago, but circumstances prevented us taking it at that time. I second the caution that you carefully check what time of day you are travelling through the mountains. It is true that the passenger trains sometimes travel at night through that beautiful area. Plese make sure you post back here in the Ontario forum to let us know how your trip went. Havea wonderful time planning...and a great trip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

On VIA Rail, it is an overnight trip through the mountains - the train arrives in Jasper at 1300 and leaves at 1430, and arrives in Vancouver at 942 am the next day. In May, you will have daylight through the Rockies, but not the mountains between Kamloops and the coast.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Via Rail "The Canadian"

Hope none minds me joining in. We havn't booked it yet but are looking to travel on the Canadian from Toronto to Jasper in the same class as the original poster. Hoping to go this September 2009 . We plan to get off in Jasper, possibly hire a car for 2 or 3 days and then rejoin the train just in economy class to Vancouver. Prices for hotels drop after October 1st but we are a little concerned about driving conditions at the start of October.

Reply to: Via Rail "The Canadian"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted