We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

We are in Toronto and are hearing about the public workers' strikes on the news. Is this going to affect tourism, the public transit, etc? We haven't heard anything other than it says city employees. Can somebody clue us in?

Thanks in advance,

Jude

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
496 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

Should have no affect on tourists, other then the ferry service to Toronto Island. Police, Fire, and public transit are running as normal. Only affects garbage pickup, public daycare, public pool, and as I mentioned, the ferry.

2. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 June 2009, 18:42
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

In lieu of an edit button, I've removed my own earlier post to make a couple of updates/corrections:

- As mentioned, the TTC, police, fire, and ambulance services are unaffected.

- Toronto Island ferries are not running (the island airport ferry is still running, but does not provide public access to the island parks).

- Beaches remain open, with lifeguards, but daily water quality checks are not being done, so "swim at your own risk". (Typically, water quality dips after major rain storms.)

- Washrooms/change rooms in parks and at beaches are closed.

- City-run museums and historic sites, including Fort York, are closed.

- Green P parking facilities remain open, but there are picket lines causing long line-ups to enter the Nathan Philips Square/City Hall garage.

More details in the Star (www.thestar.com/News/GTA/Article/652833) and on the city's web site (www.toronto.ca/labour-relations/index.htm).

Toronto
Level Contributor
786 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

TOURISTS visiting Toronto should notice little if any effects from this strike. The only thing you might notice will be the garbage situation and that the streets will not be as clean as usual. Other than that for tourists you should not encounter any difficulties. Emergency services and the transit system are not part of this strike. ENJOY TORONTO.

Leamington, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

Was there for four days during the last strike and like said above the only thing We noticed was when walking by some of the alleys off the main streets is the garbage was beginning to pile up. We are going in a few weeks and are not planning to change Our travel plans. Hopefully there is a fast resolution to this labour dispute.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

How can anybody say with a straight face it will have NO effect on tourist?

All the museums will be close. If it is still going on next week the city events for Canada Day will be cancel (means fireworks over by Finch and Yonge st but by the lakefront will still be on, I'M GUESSING).

Today pickets lines went up across the city...so what, well traffic was a total mess cause they were allowing only 2 cars a min to pass in to the parking garage by city hall. Traffic was back up for miles. People were angry at the strikers and the police were stress trying to keep order (and its day one, lol)

All public trash cans will be sealed up, so if you want a cold drink better stick the empty cup in your pocket or risk a $300+ ticket for littering.

I be in town thou next week for 5 straight days and see the action first hand. Hopefully the strike will be settle by then...the city should try since it is tourist season time.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

Just thinking now...well the TTC is still open that is great but is the area going to be clean down there? I sure hope the trash gets pick up down in those stations or the fumes are going to be...well I would guess it be sub contact out..but then the strikers will have a fit and try to block the trucks from getting there.

All the city pools will be close (make that ARE closed)that means more youths hanging out on the streets.

Animal control is open for only 4 hours a day now, likely be more loose dogs running wild. Should be ok until a few weeks thou. Sure the police will be going after the ones who seem likely to bite..like they will have nothing else to do.

Come on Toronto, you can have million dollar studies to see what can be done about the Gardiner expressway cause you feel its not "pretty", surly this is more important!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

I think the subway station janitors work directly for the TTC and thus are not on strike. I expect the garbage cans at stations will still get emptied, though I don't know where they'll put it.

As I mentioned in another thread, if the strike runs as long as July 1, the Ontario Place fireworks should still be on but the others (Ashbridge's Bay, Mel Lastman Square) will be cancelled.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

All the museums will be open- they have nothing to do with city staff.

As for mad dogs running wild in the streets, well, what's new?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public workers' strike - will it affect tourists?

Very true -- Toronto's most popular museums (ROM, AGO, Gardiner, HHoF, etc.) are not run by the city and therefore aren't affected.

Fort York is the closure that's likely to affect the most visitors. The full list of city-run museums that are closed, some of which most tourists and many locals have never heard of: Colborne Lodge, Fort York, Gibson House, Historic Zion Schoolhouse, Mackenzie House, Montgomery's Inn, Scarborough Historical Museum, Spadina House, Todmorden Mills, and York Museum.