We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary - Is this Do able?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
360 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
My itinerary - Is this Do able?

Hi,

We are visiting Toronto for a day/night trip in July and as of now these are plans...

Arrive 1230pm

Hotel: Sheraton Center City

CN Tower for lunch to avoid the high ticket price to go up.

2pm Check out the harbour front and see the dancing competition thats being hosted there.

3/4pm Then Head over to Toronto Islands via the ferry to rent bikes and hit up the beach.

Back to the hotel around 6pm, will have to grab a quick bite to eat then off to 8pm Jersey Boys show.

Any reccomendations? OR Suggestions?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

After reviwing my post I think we will visit the CN Tower on Sunday morning prior to leaveing. I saw the ticket cost is $20 for the basic trip up so I see no reason to spend $80 - $100 to eat lunch when they don't even serve breakfast which is what we'd be craving.

So that being said, we will check in head to harbour front and the islands and be able to get back to the hotel in time to get ready and catch the train to the show. Any suggestions on where to dine either around the theater or by the Sheraton?

Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
134 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

If you leave for island 4pm, you'll have a very tough time getting back to hotel by 6pm, especially if you want to actually see something on the island. Check ferry times online (there is a site for it) and plan accordingly. I'd plan for at least an hour or two on the island itself and 20 or so min for ferry each way.

I live right by the ferry dock, walk from your hotel (Queen/university if i am right) to ferry dock is 20-30min depending on pace. You can take subway to union and cut it down to about 15min trip, but it's kinda counterproductive.

It also sounds like you want to eat between the island and your show at 8pm which may prove to be difficult if you get back late. Generally you should plan for at least an hour for a decent dinner in Toronto and you probably want to arrive a few minutes early for the show.

To do what you want... catch part of the dancing competition... take the ferry out to island by 3pm at latest. Take ferry back by 5pm at latest. Be back to hotel and out again by 6, eat and hit the show. To be honest, a better idea (if the weather is good) would be to get some dinner to go and enjoy it as a picnic on the island.

It's doable, but very tight. Make sure you don't factor any buses or driving into this or they can seriously mess up your times. Ferries, subway and walking are generally reliable for timing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

If I understand correctly, this is the plan for Saturday and you're saying you've bumped the CN Tower to Sunday. Good call, assuming clear weather on both days.

As you may have noticed elsewhere in the forum, there's a municipal workers strike underway right now. Hopefully, it'll all be cleared up by the time you're here. During the strike, the island park ferry service is not running. But when it is running, the ferry schedule is toronto.ca/parks/island/summerschedule.htm ; for bike rentals you want Centre Island ferries.

If the timing works out, I would say to hit the island right away, grabbing lunch on the "mainland" to take with you. If you're taking transit, you'd take the subway to Union and switch to the 509 or 510 streetcar; the ferry terminal is at the first stop. But if you stay on the streetcar one more stop (to York Street), you'll end up at the Queens Quay Terminal. In and around that building, there's a full grocery store (Sobey's) plus a number of fast food places and other restaurants. You can then walk back along Queens Quay to the ferries (they're at Bay Street).

As for eating options around the theatre, someone else has just asked the same question: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155001-i2689-k288… .

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

Hello crowl31,

I would highly recommend eating near the theatre. That way if there are any unexpected delays, at least you are close to where the show is. There is a restaurant practically across the street from the theatre, called Milestones. Although it is not the best restaurant around (typical chain restaurant - style of food) it is more than adequate to grab a quick bite before the show.

It's too bad you didn't have a little more time, as there is a dinner option right in the theatre. It starts at 6:00 p.m. I am not sure how far in advance you have to call to secure a table (it is a three course Prix Fixe dinner), but if it is something you would like to know more about here is the link.

http://www.dancapcatering.com/main.htm

Baltimore
Level Contributor
360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

Thanks so much for the responses....

I think I am trying to plan to much into to little time of time.

I think this is what we will do...

Grab a cab to the Harbour front, check it out for a while and then grab the ferry over to centre island grab some food for a picnic hit up some bikes or beach.

5pm head back to the hotel and then grab the metro and eat somewhere around the theater.

8pm show

Sunday morning wake up and visit the CN tower and walk around the city before heading to Niagara.

How does the modified version sound? Are we missing anything for just a day and a half trip?

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

There is a bit of a problem with your itinerary- unfortunately, do to the workers' strike, the ferry is no longer running between Queens Quay and the Islands. There is a water taxi that will cost $10/person/each way. You can read more about it in its own thread!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

I would highly suggest a BlueJays game. Because I am a fan. I went to Baltimore last year and watched four games (they were playing the Jays).

8. Re: My itinerary - Is this Do able?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:17