We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who have seen The Sound of Music

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
For those who have seen The Sound of Music

Hi everyone

I would like to take my 7 yr old niece to see the Sound of Music and was wondering what your thoughts would be. Is it possible she is still to young? How long is the show?

It would be one of the Wednesday afternoon shows so the time is right just hoping there is alot of singing and dancing as she would enjoy that! Thanks :)

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

I think your seven year old niece would love the show. It is probably the most suitable show for children, out of all the shows playing in Toronto right now. I haven't seen the Toronto production yet, but have seen other productions of the Sound of Music, and I can't think of any reason not to bring her. And yes there is lots of singing and dancing in the show, and lots of children in the cast (obviously) as well.

The show runs two and a half hours.

http://www.mirvish.com/OurShows/

Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

We've seen this performance twice -- once in December, where it was just the two of us, and in mid May with our 13 y/o and 15 y/o. It's excellent.

Although there are many children in the audience, I think the suitability for a 7 y/o would be iffy. A mom and daughter sat in front of us in May. I'd guess the daughter was 6 y/o. She was attentive for the first hour but long before the intermission she was fidgeting a lot. Post-intermission was downhill because she asked many times if they could go home and she wasn't paying much attention to the stage.

It's really not a story line that's comprehendable for a seven year old. If your niece is a mature seven year old, you might have some success. At around $100 for the premium seats, though, I'd give it some serious consideration.

Canada
Level Contributor
487 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

Has she seen the movie? I think if she's familiar with the story it wouldn't be too long and she'd quite enjoy it. I saw it in January with my 14 and 11 year old daughters and we all loved it. I'm a bit cynical when it comes to big-budget musicals featuring cute kids (especially those with a TV show tie-in), but I found this production completely charming. The kids really are adorable, and of course she'd recognize most of the music.

If she hasn't seen the movie, though, it might be a bit much.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

You have to judge the maturity level and impulse control of your niece. The Sound of Music is a fantastic show, and she would love much of it. But it is *long* - 2.5 hours - will she be able to sit through it without disturbing others around her who are paying just as much to see the show as yourself?

Toronto
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

Thanks everyone for your responses!! Yes it is alittle long and so it might be abit much so its hard to say. She has seen the movie and loves it and does listen to the CD I bought her so that is a start in the right direction. I guess if I got a good deal on the tickets and worse case scenario is we just leave if she starts to get fidgety.

Thanks again :)

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

Hi luvall4seasons!

On the Sounds of Music website, it states the play is recommended for ages 6 and up. Personally I think 7 years old, is a great age to introduce a child to musical theatre, especially a play with the appeal the Sound of Music has. And as you mentioned ..worse case scenario if she gets tired, you can always leave during the break.

All the best.

7. Re: For those who have seen The Sound of Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2009, 05:18