We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Hi, myself and my partner will be staying in Toronto for 5 nights from 29th August. I was hoping for some suggestions on what not to miss. We have already planned to go for a day using the greyhound to Niagara falls and have bought a pass for Maid of the Mist, journey behind the falls and a couple other sights. Will 6 and a half hours be enough at the falls?

We want to visit the CN Tower and Toronto Zoo as well as sampling some nightspots - I would also like to take a ferry across to the islands. Which one should we visit?

We enjoy wandering around and seeing the sights and also up for anything unusual that we might not see anywhere else.

We are staying at the Days Inn downtown as this seemed quite a central base for us and would like to fill our days so as not to miss any of the sights!

Thanks, much appreciated!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

6 1/2 hours is more than enough to see the falls. It has a kind of amusement park like atmosphere, so if that's your thing, you may wish to stay longer.

Check out the board on major sights in Toronto.

The two markets are also a great place to visit (St. Lawrence for food, Kensington for culture and vintage clothing)

Take a wander down Queen Street West, from the Gladstone Hotel (www.gladstonehotel.com) all the way east to University Avenue. Lots of great, arty shops in the day, and lots of small bars and concert venues at night.

Toronto
Level Contributor
340 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Right now the Toronto Island ferries are not running due to a city workers' strike. Hopefully this won't go on late into August (or even late into July!). The islands are interconnected and not huge, so you can actually take one ferry to and another from the islands. Centre Island has an amusement park and some restaurants (mostly fast food type stuff). Ward's Island is quieter with a more park-like setting. We like taking the ferry to Centre Island, doing the fun things around there, then strolling over to Ward's Island for a picnic, and taking the Ward's ferry back to the mainland.

Just east of the ferry docks on the mainland is Queen's Quay Terminal (shopping/restaurants), the Powerplant (modern art gallery), and Harbourfront Centre (shopping, art, food). And from now until October they're featuring an outdoor aerial photography exhibit of the Canadian Boreal Forest that is just spectacular (and free). It starts along the water at Queen's Quay Terminal and continues west, then north between the Powerplant and Harbourfront Centre all the way to the street. Highly recommended!

Enjoy your visit!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Hi, Fiona;

We live in the block to the north of the Days Inn. You will find that it is a good central location for getting around- subway & streetcar access just steps away and an 8 minute walk south to Yonge-Dundas Square & the Toronto Eaton Centre.

Two highlights we would strongly recommend in addition to the islands: Kensingtom Market/ Chinatown area, which can be reached on the College streetcar which passes by the front door of the hotel; and the Beach neighbourhood on the east side of downtown, accessed via the #501 Queen Street streetcar.

There are a million other things to see & do, but maybe these will get you started.

B&J

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

There is so much to see and do in Toronto that you should refine your search based on your interests. Essentially Toronto is a city of neighbourhoods (mostly defined by ethnicity). There is an excellent ChinaTown, GreekTown, Little Italy etc. etc..

The Distillery is a historic area which I strongly recommend. It has great restaurants and bars.

Six hours is enough to see Niagara Falls but I would suggest that if you find you have given yourselves too much time you should try to see Niagara on the Lake and/or the Butterfly Conservatory.

As someone else pointed out, Niagara Falls itself has an amusement part atmosphere (very touristy). Niagara on the Lake is about 15-20 minutes away and has a very laid back elegant style with shopping, fine dining and a quaint charm.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

I would definitely go to the islands (Centre Island) if the strike is over. I also recommend Kensington Market, Chinatown, The Beaches, shopping on Queen Street West, the CN Tower on a clear day and the zoo is fun too.

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Hey, Fiona. Even if the strike is still on (seems like it's never going to end!), you should have no problem getting to the Islands. There's plenty of water taxi activity near Queen's Quay Terminal on the lakefront - - - just get there and ask someone. I was on the Islands a couple weeks ago and it was super easy to get there.

As for nightlife, what are you interested in? Music? Dancing? High stakes gambling?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Hi, thanks for the tips. This strike is worrying me a little! How much is it affecting tourists?

As for nightlife we would like a lively area with plenty to see and fun bars/pubs with live music and good but inexpensive places to eat. Anything that is a little bit different is good.

Are there any bars in Toronto that are high up and have good views? I have been to something similar before and there is one at the top of montreals tallest building

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Hey, Fiona. There are a number of "high up" bars in town. The ones I know about are cocktail lounge kind of places, as opposed to pub-like environments. Two options are: Panorama at the top of the Manulife Centre, and the rooftop lounge at the Hyatt. Both are in the heart of downtown. Here are the coordinates:

www.eatertainment.com/restaurants/panorama/

ourfaves.com/place/1039645/Rooftop-at-the-Hy…

There is also Canoe restaurant, which sits atop the TD Tower in the financial district. The restaurant is uber pricey, but they have a small bar area as well. Not sure what the policy is on just sitting at the bar (as opposed to having to make dinner reservations) - - - I know I've done it but that was some years back. But might be worth checking out:

http://www.oliverbonacini.com/canoemovie.html

As for the live music scene, Toronto has almost an embarrassment of riches. My personal favourite music bar is hands down the Cadillac Lounge. Check out the website below. The focus is on "alt country", but don't let that put you off if you are not a country and western fan (also don't let the goofy photos on the website put you off). The acts they get are generally hip and excellent. The bar itself is also great, and they have a huge patio out back if the night is warm. It's just a fun place, and a slice of Toronto.

http://cadillaclounge.net/

Other than that, closer to your visit check out Now Magazine for extensive music listings. Now can be found throughout the city. It's free. You can also access the online version at

http://www.nowtoronto.com/

Hope that helps for now! I'm sure other posters will add their own favourites, and maybe some other suggestions for "bars with height".

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Forgot to add, the strike may go on (who knows?), but don't let it deter you. It's a bit of a nuisance, but unless your plan was to visit the city-run attractions and museums, not at all something that would affect tourists.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in Toronto - advice please!!!

Please don't let the strike deter you. Fingers crossed, it'll be over by then. You can always check back here closer to the trip to find out what state the city's in... we never go on strike.