We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Hi, I've just returned home from our recent 4 day trip to Toronto and because I used the advice and tips from your forum before travelling I thought it might be useful to share some of the highlights from our trip.

First of all we stayed at the Fairmount Royal York which is a lovely, historic hotel in a great location. We managed to get a great deal for this hotel from Hotel.com.

Our favourite restaurant was the Richtree Market Garden which was close by on Yonge St. This is a buffet type restaurant but the choice is HUGE and everything is freshly cooked whilst you wait. We loved it and would return to Toronto just to go to this restaurant. We're from the UK and there's NOTHING like this here.

We also went to see Jersey Boys during our visit. WOW, what a show. The theatre was lovely and the cast were great. To be honest it was MUCH better than we expected. We got a great deal for these tickets from Travelzoo.

We did a little shopping too but unfortunately because our exchange rate is currently quite poor we found the prices very expensive.

We also did some 'touristy' things like going up the CN Tower (great views but you need to go up on a clear day) and visited the Beaches. We wanted to go to the Island but couldn't because of a strike.

We left Toronto by train to spend 2 nights at Niagara Falls and then flew from there to New York where we spent 5 nights before flying back home.

I'd just like to thank everyone on this forum as I managed to pick up loads of tips before our trip (I would never have thought of going to see Jersey Boys for instance and this was one of the highlights of our trip) and I hope that this post will be of some use to others travelling to Toronto soon.

xxx

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Hi RosyDays,

Thanks for sharing this Trip Report... it will surely help someone else plan a great visit as well.

Sounds like you had a good time... hope you can come back again in the future.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Thanks for checking back in, RosyDays. So glad to hear the forum contributed to the enjoyment of your stay!

We learned something from your report, as well- that the exchange rate isn't too favourable for you. We tend to consider that the pound sterling trades so high against the Canadian dollar that we can't afford the UK. Maybe we should be reconsidering!

B&J

Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Hi, yes we did find the prices quite expensive in Canada so I'm sure that if you visited the UK you would be pleasantly surprised at our prices. On average things seemed to be about 25% more expensive than prices in the UK. This included meals, drinks, clothing and DVD's.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Weird... I'm used to the UK being more expensive, but exchange rates have swung significantly. (However, I don't think even the exchange rates can make London cheap.)

Right now, 1 British pound is worth (or, for us, costs) 1.88 Canadian dollars. The average since January 2000 is 2.19; it's been as high as 2.49 in January 2003 and as low as 1.77 this January.

Bruce & John, sounds like there are seats on Air Canada 868 with your names on them...

Sheffield UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Hi, I think you're right about London but as the UK is such a small country (in comparison to yours!) there are many other lovely places to visit that are easy to get to.

I live in Yorkshire which in the centre of England. For an idea of prices have a look at the link below which is a Shopping Centre very similar to the Eaton Centre. Don't forget the price you see is the price you pay as tax is already included.

http://www.meadowhall.co.uk/website/

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Comparing prices among countries is generally much more complicated than people think. It's not always as it seems, and it doesn't depend solely on currency fluctuations - - - there are all kinds of other variables. Economists have written Ph.D. theses on this topic.

You may have heard of the "Big Mac" index, which compares the price of an easily identifiable and uniform product among countries. It is by no means a perfect model, but is commonly used as a shorthand way to measure price differences.

Here is the Feb '09 table from the Economist magazine. A bit out of date, but it shows that Britain is slightly cheaper than Canada! Definitely not what most Canadians believe.

economist.com/markets/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,195 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

Matt, LOL, I'm afraid this year there are already tickets on a flight to Rome with our names on them! Maybe next year...

scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

just thought Id add our view of Toronto, we found it to be way cheaper than home. For example a starbucks or a costs latte £2. same drink here was roughly $3. we averaged $1.84 to our £ so a slight saving here.Food was cheaper to and we ate in the lovely market place in Eaton Square, what a place Id be huge if I stayed in this city. Overall we found thing cheaper than at home and only thing to be pricer were Timberland shoes and certain perfumes. Not the shopping mecca the states have but enough to keep me happy.

9. Re: A summary of our recent 4 day trip to Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 05:17