We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Hello again,

during my trip next month I'll spend time both in USA and in Canada. After visiting New York, we'll pick up a rental car and visit Niagara Falls, Toronto, Ottawa and end our trip in Boston (long distances, I know...). I was wondering whether gasoline is considerably cheaper in one of the two countries over the other or if it does not make much difference on which side of the border I fill my tank.

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Gas is always more expensive in Canada due to higher taxes at the pump.

In Niagara Falls, ON, gas is about C$0.913/litre right now (www.ontariogasprices.com). In Niagara Falls, NY, it's US$2.69/gallon, which works out to C$0.77/litre (www.buffalogasprices.com).

My understanding is that current Italian gas prices work out to C$1.93/litre, so you'll find both countries much cheaper than back home.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Thanks Matt,

that's exactly what I needed to know (and very interesting links too)!

Of course, I was also sure that in both countries gas would be a lot cheaper than here ...

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Most things are slightly less expensive in the US, because in Ontario we pay a 13% tax.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

Hi canuckgrl,

and also, I'm monitoring the exchange rates of the Canadian and the US dollars vs the Euro and unfortunately for me it seems that the CAD is doing pretty well against the EUro in these days. :-(

5. Re: Gasoline price - Canada vs. USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 06:16