We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Hi from Niagara Falls, New York! I was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me the name, and hopefully the address, of a Toronto church that I admired in the movie "Short Circuit 2". This movie was made in 1988, so the church might not even still be standing. It was identified in the movie as "St. Katharine's Church", although I'm pretty sure that the name was at least a partial fabrication; from scenes shot outside of the church, I could see that it seems to be across the street from an entrance to the Atrium on Bay, and that one side of a small park that surrounds the church faces Wellington Street. I'll be visiting Toronto a week from now, and would like to see this church for myself1 Thanks for any info!!!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

I've not see Short Circuit 2, so I'm only going on your description. The top of Eaton Centre is built around a small church: www.yorku.ca/rsgc/HolyTrinity.html That's directly south of Atrium on Bay.

Note that Wellington is several blocks south.

If that's not it, there are several other much larger churches in the downtown core. For example, St Andrew's is along King & Simcoe (across from Sun Life and Roy Thomson Hall); immediately north of Wellington. www.standrewstoronto.org/

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Thanks so much - it's St. Andrew's!!! I guess the shot that featured the Atrium on Bay was spliced in! What a beautiful church! I can't wait to see it for myself! Again, thanks very, very much - have a wonderful weekend!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Well done, ABtraveller.

The Sun Life building across from St. Andrew's is easily mistaken for the Atrium on Bay, so maybe they used that to their advantage.

IMDB's list of filming locations doesn't mention the church, but it does include World's Biggest Bookstore. If you're eager to see that, it's a very short walk from the bus terminal.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Apparently St. Andrews has one of the best organs in the city; it is often the site of public concerts, I believe.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
165 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

Thanks, MattInTO!!! I'd LOVE to check out the World's Biggest Bookstore!! Aside from the fact that "Short Circuit 2" is my favorite film, I also share Johnny's passion for books - I have a feeling that my luggage is going to be a whole lot heavier on my return trip!! :D Thanks again, everyone!! See you next Saturday!!!

6. Re: Can Anyone Help Me Identify a Church?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2010, 07:15