We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper Bar with Sports

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Proper Bar with Sports

Hi

Were looking at booking a downtown hotel for a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for a good sports bar downtown, it needs to show hockey when its on.

Thanks

James

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

I think almost every bar in Southern Ontario will have a hockey game on when the Leafs are playing, especially on a Saturday night. Saturday's are the best night to watch hockey at a bar as there's a lively crowd watching the game. There's a 7pm and 10pm game the CBC shows on Saturday nights as well so you get a solid 6 hours of hockey! On any other night, you can easily find a bar showing a game but it won't be as lively as a Leafs game on a Saturday night.

The obvious answer is Wayne Gretzky's on Peter St/Blue Jays Way. Some people don't think the food is great or that it's overpriced, which are both sort of true. It's the quintessential sports bar though.

Hoops is another place downtown, on Brember Blvd. I can't stay I've ever been there but it's a sports bar downtown.

On Bloor St. West in The Annex, there's a bar called Kilgour's. The owner is a die hard Canadiens fan so it's a popular place for Montreal fans to go. Of course if Toronto is playing Montreal, it's pretty wild there. It's been a while since I've been there but I remember the food being typical bar food.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

Hi Chilleruk,

IMO my buddy CFLAVOURED has given you a good list... but it might be helpful if we had more info as to your definition of a "Proper" Bar.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

Cflavoured we just got back from Toronto on Sunday after a great week. we had a few drinks in Hoops on Yonge St and I would say it is a proper sports bar. I would also expect that most sports would be covered in here with even the booths having their own TV.

Be prepared to pay for your drinks however as everywhere we went beer was expensive. Usually $5.50 upwards for a pint + tax and expected tip.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

James;

FYI, the Hoops bar on Yonge Street that Motherwell 1991 mentions is across the street from the Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Downtown hotel. The Days Inn on Carlton St. is right around the corner & the bar is about a 5 minute walk north of the Delta Chelsea hotel.

B&J

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

In case it's gotten confusing: that's two different Hoops locations that have been mentioned now. 125 Bremner Blvd is halfway between the Air Canada Centre and the Rogers Centre, at the south end of downtown. The older 458 Yonge St location is, as mentioned, near the Courtyard towards the north end of downtown.

There's also a very large outdoor screen that's just been installed on the west side of the Air Canada Centre. It's not clear to me exactly how they plan to use it during games, but if you were heading to the Bremner Blvd Hoops you could check it out as well.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

Hi

Thanks for the replys. In a proper "Bar" I was meaning nothing pretentious, just a typical bar, I know in downtown locations these can be hard to come by.

The bars mentioned give me a good idea of where we can go if we cant obtain Leafs tickets.

Toronto
Level Contributor
340 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

Another good choice would be the Elephant & Castle Pub on King St. West at Simcoe. They have 20 odd screens located throughout the various rooms, so you can catch a game from either the (very casual) dining areas or the bars. They also have a good variety of beer/ale on tap.

http://www.elephantcastle.com/main.html

8. Re: Proper Bar with Sports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2010, 05:17