We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October trip - Day 1

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
October trip - Day 1

Monday 3rd October 2005

We landed at Pearson airport at 12.30pm, after a terrific Zoom Airlines flight from Glasgow (£252 return each. Bargain.)

Feeling vaguely masochistic, we decided to take mass-transit into town. We found the 192 airline shuttle bus with ease, paid our $2.50 each, and then endured a white-knuckle ride to Kipling station. We were soon on our way to Bloor-Yonge where we changed trains for Queen station. Emerging from underground we straightaway spotted Richmond Street, where our hotel was located. TTC - easy, peasy.

At 2.45pm we checked into the Cambridge Suites Hotel. We were upgraded to a CityScape suite which was a bonus. From our room on the nineteenth floor we had a superb view of Old City Hall and the many mirrored skyscrapers of downtown. Cool.

(The Cambridge Suites Hotel was excellent in every way. Beautiful place.)

Not wishing to waste the glorious afternoon (24*C) we decided to head out for a stroll. We walked down Yonge to Front Street and soon came upon Union Station, with the CN Tower beyond. Beautiful.

My son quite fancied the idea of getting himself a Toronto Maple Leafs shirt. We saw them in a sports-shop window, $149 (plus tax). Yikes. Perhaps not.

We wandered further along Front Street, glimpsing on the right a silver upturned-drum of a building ... the Roy Thomson Hall, I later learnt. Loved that glistening building.

Feeling the heat and seduced by the Guinness logo, we descended the steps of The OverDraught pub. It was just us and the bar-staff (almost). I had a pint of Guinness, my father had a pint of 'Blue' ($15, including tip). My son didn't want anything, except to sleep. Not yet Boy, it's only 5pm. A few business-suits began to arrive, so we took our leave and continued walking east towards Yonge.

Everywhere was now heaving with people leaving work. We dodged our way up Bay and ducked into the BCE Place. What a stunning, airy building. We had a quick glimpse at the World Press Photo exhibition, before heading into Richtree Market for a light, early supper. (Richtree's opening hours: 7.30am-2am, 7 days per week, 365 days per year. Wow.)

We were bamboozled by the choice of food. We wandered around every stand, going 'mmmmm'. Tiredness was really kicking in. My son had pasta, my father and I had a pork, mushroom and pepper dish with rosti potatoes. All delicious.

After our meal we wandered up Yonge Street some more. (The many homeless/disenfranchised lying on the grates over the subway was quite a shocker.) We walked as far as Dundas Square.

A-ha! We finally spotted an LCBO store, so took the escalator down to check it out. There was a huge choice of wine, a smaller choice of beer. The prices were on a par with those in the UK, if not a little more expensive. We didn't buy anything.

We walked back down Yonge to Richmond East and then along to Church before returning to the hotel. By 8pm we were all in bed, completely jiggered. Ahhhh. Great start to the holiday.

England
Level Contributor
202 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October trip - Day 1

great read snow, keep us posted.

poodleville TO
Level Contributor
674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October trip - Day 1

Hi Snow, I was actually thinking about you and wondering how things went. Thanks for giving us a taste of your trip. What a first day! Sounds like you had a great time and everyone enjoyed themselves. Would love to hear more when you get a chance.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: October trip - Day 1

Sounds as though you walked yourselves down to your teeth!!!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October trip - Day 1

Hi Snow - I live an hour's drive from Toronto and have been there thousands of times. It's great to get your perspective on it and am looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip. By the way, did you make it to the St. Jacob's Market? Renish.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October trip - Day 1

>> Sounds as though you walked yourselves down to your teeth!!!!! <<

Tee-hee! We did that on Day 2 :-)

Renish, I made it to St. Jacob's ... but not on market day ...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October trip - Day 1

Wow Snow, keep it coming. This is gold. Just don't sacrifice your vacation for writing:-)

P.S. If you're son really wants a Leafs Jersey, try the big sports store on Yonge Street just north of Dundas square across from the Zanzibar strip club. You can probably get a good one (with no name on the back) for $50-$80.

Good luck.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October trip - Day 1

>> Wow Snow, keep it coming. This is gold. Just don't sacrifice your vacation for writing:-) <<

Honey, I'm home ...!

(check the Day 1 date)

I wish I'd known about that sports shop near the strip club (!) beforehand.

Hindsight: 'tis a marvellous thing.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October trip - Day 1

Oh well, wasn't sure you'd returned as yet. Looking forward to your trip report!

-UF

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October trip - Day 1

wow

what a great review. looking forward to day # 2. please keep us posted.

england
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October trip - Day 1

Hey Snow - great report - boy it sounds like you, your pop and your boy sure do get around - I do less than this in my full week, far less day 1!!

Looking forward to the next update.