We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

I'm bringing a couple of girlfriends up to Canada for a day in January and we are looking to do some eating or a show or something. I've started to look for events but I was hoping that if anyone knows of any interesting events in January that you could let me know! Thanks.

ps- We're 25, there will probably be 3 of us. Last time we did Nuit Blanche and had dinner at Peter Pans. Before that we came to see Dirty Dancing and we had dinner at the Rivoli. I'm excited to come back to Toronto!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Have you done St. Lawrence Market as yet? Great, warm, indoor activity for a cold January day (as long as it's not Sunday or Monday)

www.stlawrencemarket.com

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

I'm pretty sure the Sound of Music is closing in early January, but if you can make it here in time, that would be my top reco based on your previous visits.

For commercial theatre check out: www.mirvish.com and www.dancaptickets.com . For instance, you could see The Toxic Avenger, have dinner at Globe Bistro across the street, and explore Greektown afterward.

If you're interested in independent theatre, the Tarragon has a couple of interesting-sounding plays in January: http://www.tarragontheatre.com/season/0910/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Looks like Sound of Music will close January 3, but what about Rent? The Broadway show will make a quick stop at the Canon Theatre Jan. 12-24. See the Mirvish web site Estragon mentioned.

Another big event during this winter is the King Tut exhibit at the AGO: http://www.ago.net/kingtut .

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Hi.

If Jersey Boys is still playing in January, (and I am pretty sure it is) I would highly recommend it. The theatre it is playing in, is not in downtown Toronto, but the Subway will get you right there very easily.

http://www.jerseyboystoronto.com/tickets.htm

There are often interesting events and concerts at Massey Hall, which is in downtown Toronto ..so you may want to check out their upcoming schedule.

http://www.roythomson.com/calendar

Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Shopping is usually quite good in January, with all the sales. Depending on your taste, you could hit the Eaton Centre then go for an ice skate in Nathan Phillip Square. If you're here early enough in January, the Christmas lights will still be up, but even if they're not it's really nice skating there after dark surrounded by the city lights. If you're into the more highbrow, seeing a performance (ballet or opera) at the Four Seasons Centre is a total treat.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Hello- thanks so much for the replies :) Wow, that all sounds like fun...greektown could be fun. And yes, I keep seeing commercials about St. Lawrence market when I'm in Canada and it looks awesome. I love markets. That would be fun. If we don't see a show in January I'm sure there will be new ones out in the spring.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

There are many fantastic spas in Toronto! I agree on the Jersey Boys as well.

Have fun!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

St. Lawrence market on Sunday is also fabulous. The north market is an antique market and losts of great bargains for clothing, curios and neat stuff. Also GAdabout at 1300 Queen St. East is open 7 days a week and it's fun to go digging there for anything from vintage clothing and textiles to postcxards and photographs. check out the video at www.gadabout.ca

9. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 19:52
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Day in Toronto January 2010

Ok messed that up last post.

SATURDAY - the St Lawrence Market is open and there is the Farmer's Market in the North Building.

SUNDAY - the St Lawrence Market is CLOSED and there is an Antique Market in the North Building.