We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight hours between flights

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
2 posts
Save Topic
Eight hours between flights

Hi,

I am going to Washington next year for a wedding. I've been looking at flights, and one of the cheapest options from London is Air Canada via Toronto. The return flight arrives at Pearson at 12 lunchtime, and leaves at 8:30pm.

Firstly, are you able to leave the airport, and will you be stuck with your suitcases? Or are they checked all the way through to London so you can leave them in the airport?

Secondly, is four or so hours in the city centre feasible with those times? I'm thinking perhaps hiring a taxi for a few hours to give us a quick city tour and take us to the main sites.

Thanks for any help!

Tom

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1,109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eight hours between flights

Is this on a weekend, winter or summer?

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eight hours between flights

You'll be clearing customs coming in if you do decide to venture out of the airport - that could take a while depending on incoming flights, ect. Then you'll need to check back in 2 hours before departure. Your bags should be checked and loaded on the outbound flight by AC, I'm pretty sure they'll be looking after that for you as you're not changing airlines.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eight hours between flights

Going from the US to International, this can be done if you have enough time. (It's trickier International to US.) Here's how it works:

Arriving in Toronto, you have a choice of two customs checkpoints, "Customs A" and "Customs B". "Customs A" is for anyone staying in Canada and has the usual passport control, baggage claim, customs officer routine. "Customs B" is for anyone connecting to an overseas flight, has passport control only, and leads directly to the intl gates.

Normally, for that itinerary, you'd use "Customs B" but since you want to leave the airport, you'd need to follow the crowds to "Customs A". If your bags were checked through -- which they should be -- they won't appear on the carousel, so you'd walk out with only your carry-on luggage. Upon returning to the airport, you'd need to go through security (follow the signs for international departures), using the boarding pass you were issued in Washington.

See this thread for a trip report from someone in a similar situation: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155019-i55-k292396… . I wouldn't really recommend a boat tour of the harbour in the winter, though.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eight hours between flights

In addition to the Customs issues noted above... a taxi fare is approx$45-$50 each way into downtown Toronto(Where most of the "sights are located ) .....to hire a taxi to tour you around would likely be extremely costly.....

Toronto is one terrific city....but the location/proximity of it's airport doesn't sync well with a couple of hours of city touring. Can't tell you how many times we have just stayed put at the Airport.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eight hours between flights

There may be something listed here that you could kill some time at...it is adjacent to the airport.. http://www.internationalcentre.com/events

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1,109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eight hours between flights

I apologize for the lack of a fast rail link to the city, our politicians lacked the foresight, and now the political will to put in such an essential service.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eight hours between flights

Hello tommyc2005,

If you do decide to leave the airport, rather than hire a taxi to tour you around Toronto, there is an organized bus tour you can take. I believe it is a two hour tour, you can get all the particulars at this site.

grayline.ca/tours/pages/graylineca/graylinec…

Or if you are up for it, one other option would be to take a helicopter tour of the city. I just checked the website and was quite surprised at the cost, I thought it was pretty reasonable. There are more expensive tours available, for a longer time frame. It looked like there were at least three options to choose from. The only drawback is if the weather is not conducive to travel that day, you would be out of luck.

www.torontotours.ca/tours/frameshelitour.htm

Another suggestion would be to take a taxi to the CN Tower. Once you are done at the CN Tower, decide on one attraction that appeals to you, and time permitting, hopefully you can fit it in before heading back to the airport. Not knowing your interests, it is difficult to narrow down what to recommend. A few ideas....the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Distillery District or Kensington Market...you will only have a short period of time, so I would only pick one thing to do out of your choices and at least you have seen a little of Toronto.

http://www.cntower.ca/

http://www.hhof.com/

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/

www.kensington-market.ca:80/Default.asp…

Hope this helps.

8. Re: Eight hours between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 05:31