We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Hi

Having booked two weeks in Toronto in March, I'm now trying to obtain Maple Leaf Tickets for a few games.

I have heard that 'Scalpers' can be found outside the ACC on game nights, but does anyone know if there tickets are genuine or if they sell on etickets which have been previously scanned that night? I know its a chance you have to take with online websites such as tickets now or stub hub.

Has anyone had any dealings with people selling outside the ACC (if so, whats the rough mark up?) or whos the best online agency to buy tickets from if there not available through ticketmaster?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

The tickets for March's games haven't gone on sale on Ticketmaster yet so it can't hurt trying there first whenever they go on sale.

There was an article in the Toronto Star recently about how Leafs ticket prices were selling below face value from scalpers because the team is doing so poorly. There may not be any mark up at all.

thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/art…

Granted, things could change for the worse or better by March. I've never bought scalped tickets before so I can't vouch for the reliability of them.

Leamington, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

The Leafs have won a couple games in a row now and the fans are taking notice. Expect scalper ticket price to head back up accordingly.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

I don't think scalper's prices will jump that high now that the Leafs are only the second worst team in the NHL, instead of the worst. Besides, you can't predict if the team will be on a winning or losing streak in March. Like I said, try Ticketmaster when the March tickets go on sale if you want a safe bet for tickets.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Hi Chilleruk,

LOL ah ya dem Leafs... hey but a hockey game is a hockey game, so as a rabid fan I can understand.

As already stated the March tickets haven't gone on sale as of yet (usually around Christmas if I recall). You'll want to keep an eye on the Website = mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42099 to know when that happens. Single Tickets are certainly easier to get than multiples.

As for Scalping and E-Bay etc. there is always a risk with that... I know there have been some cases of worthless tickets sold in some Canadian markets (although this type of scam seems to be much bigger in the USA and for sports other than hockey)... not sure if TO has it, but some teams have a reseller ticketmaster connection as well (so Season Ticket Owners can unload tickets they can't use, safe & secure)... maybe a Toronto local can confirm if this is an option for the Leafs.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Hi

Thanks for the info. I'll keep a look out for tickets. The link to the star article was useful.

I'll keep an eye on ticketmaster and see how it goes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

I have used ebay and stub hub in the past at multiple sport events without a problem. I am usually driving from out of town so I want to make sure I have a ticket before I get there. Ironically the one time I stopped by for a raptors game I got a bum ticket from a scalper who i found again before the game started and he gave me another. Got lucky.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Toronto may also have "scalper offices" like Vancouver does. If your tix do not work you can simply go back and they will get you new ones.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Be careful where the seat are, some are actually standing room seats at the top of the stadium. If you have not seen much hockey before lower bowl seats are better to feel the action. More $ but worth for a one time experience.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Thanks for that.

I've noticed that some tickets on sites are designated as standing seats, I think I'm too old for standing at games!

I presume these are "purples" as described on a lot of sites. I've notice some that say ACC seats, which has confused me a bit!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scalpers or Online Booking Agents

Here is a map for seats for leafs leafsnews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2…

Lower bowl all seats are good depends on your price. Often reds and aircananda club seats can be bought on ebay/stub hub, golds as well on the ends but platinums are very expensive .

Upper greens are reasonable (I was there last night), purples have seats except for SRO seats at the top which are standing room but if this is a one time experience it is far from the action, although the screens help.

Look for difference in games on stub hub, some visiting teams are more popular than others, some week nights are easier to get. If you like basketball raptors are easier and you can get them from ticketmaster.