We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King Tut exibit at the AGO

Ontario
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
King Tut exibit at the AGO

Has anyone been to the King Tut exibit at the art gallery in downtown Toronto. I went to an Egyptian artifact exibit a few years ago at the ROM and it was great but I wondered how much they would really have at the art gallery. If it is worthwhile we will make the trek but don't wish to use the time and expense to be disappointed. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

Myself and my family [2 girls aged 17 and 11] visited to AGO and King Tut. We all thought it was wonderful, although we were a little disappointed that the original casket wasn't on show. I did ask about it and was informed that because of its deteriorating condition it was not possible to ship it around with the exhibit. All the proceeds from the exhibit are going to the cost of building the Cairo museum where all the artifacts will be permanently on show. It is very well laid out and easy to follow. Tip : we got there at 11.30 am and the only time we could get for King Tut was 5.30 pm.....they only take allow so many people per half hour. We did the museum and then went and had lunch and did some shopping. We got back about 5pm and queued for the 5.30 slot. Everything moved well but just be aware of the queues. Also dont bring a back pack with you as you are not allow carry it into the gallery nor are you allowed take photos. Overall a very enjoyable experience. I also lost my camera at the lobby and the security staff were wonderful in helping me find it.

Entry was $80 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

I have not seen the King Tut exhibit at the AGO yet, but have heard only good things about it from people that have seen it.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

Wow no cameras, I was afraid of that. Egypt might be worry about fake pieces being made or something. Seems like the long lines are still around.

Ontario
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. It sounds like it will be worth the trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
431 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

I haven't seen the exhibit yet - I have bought my ticket but wanted to wait a bit til to avoid the holiday crowds (which I heard were huge). Like Northern Decorator, I've only heard good things about the exhibit. FYI - my local Loblaws store had posters offering a 25% discount on the ticket price. I did not write down the ticket info (as I've already bought my ticket!!) but you may want to ask about the discount if you decide to go. I believe it was for online ticket orders only as "Loblaws" was part of the url.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

"No photos" is also a question of conservation. When you're dealing with artifacts that are 3000-5000 years old (the exhibit starts with Tut's ancestors), some of which are painted, they're pretty careful with how they're handled and lit. There isn't really room for it, either.

Luvinthebeachalways, you're right that you wouldn't expect to find Egyptian artifacts at the AGO. (The AGO did host a 1979 travelling exhibition which drew 750,000 visitors in just two months -- nicknamed "Tutmania" -- but the ROM has a bigger permanent Egyptian collection.) As Owensyb hinted this is a major travelling exhibition. Ours started in Vienna and is off to Denver next, while there's one in San Francisco through March that moves to NYC in April.

The exhibit includes a wide variety of objects, including an impressive gold death mask, an intricate miniature coffin (believed to have been used for Tut's stomach), Tut's rather small bed, and a massive statue (which the audioguide helpfully points out is "larger than life"). The objects are remarkable and in surprisingly good condition.

The show is a bit Hollywood-ized: there's an intro movie, and much of the audioguide is narrated by Harrison Ford (but other parts are narrated by experts, and overall it's quite informative). And it isn't cheap.

I do recommend it and suggest going on a weekday to beat some of the crowds, and if you can't find the Loblaws deal, at least buy and print your tickets from home (www.ago.net) to beat the entrance lines.

Ontario
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

Thanks all for the tips. I actually went on the website prior to sending in this request but it didn't give enough info to decide if the trip would be worth it.This has been very, very helpful and I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

We just did the King Tut exhibit New Years weekend and absolutely loved it.

We did the package deal that the Exhibit offering. We stayed at the Westin Castle Harbor. The package includes VIP admission which allows you to enter at anytime and you bypass all the lines. It also includes transportation to and from the exhibit. Well worth the price of staying at the hotel. The lines were quite long but we were also there on a holiday weekend.

Overall the actual exhibit will take approximately 1 - 2 hours. I cannot comment how long you would wait in line if you had regular tickets.

We also rented the head sets at $6 apiece. If you are a couple you could get away with renting one and sharing it.

If you are taking the shuttle factor in time for the bus to pick up people at the other 2 hotels included in the package, We left our hotel at 11am but did not get to the exhibit till 11 45.

We did not take the shuttle back because we went over to China town for lunch and decided to walk back (it was freezing) but made alot of stops along the way.

The exhibit is well worth it.

9. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 22:35
Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: King Tut exibit at the AGO

I thought the exhibit was horrible. Considering it cost $30 per person, there was very little effort made to make it a lasting experience. There were a lot of kids there, and sadly I felt the opportunity was missed to imprint this in their minds.

The whole thing felt like a conveyor belt, designed to make as much money and very little effort was made to actually educate people on these artifacts. Not everyone will read, not everyone will buy the audio guide which is more money. This is an opportunity to spark an interest in ancient times not an opportunity to take money out of your wallet.

The point of these shows is to educate the public, but instead it felt like a money grab. Is it really too much to ask for a speaker to present some of the items? This kind of showing should appeal to those that have no interest in history, but it felt that the only people that got something out of this were those that were already versed in ancient Egypt. It is not those people that exhibits like these should reach.

Total disappointment... a huge lack of effort in terms of presentation. I felt it wasn't worth the money. Very canned presentation, It is so sad, that when I asked a friend who has little interest in history what she remembered from the exhibit she told me "Harrison Ford did the intro

What a joke.