We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

toronto
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

This carry-on bag must not exceed a size of 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9 in x 16 in x 22 in),

Does anyone know if there is any weight restriction with this new rule and if you can take on a small suitcase on wheels as long as it fits within the size rules?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

Ah, new rules, new unanswered questions.

I can't see why a bag with wheels would be a problem so long as it fits within the designated size. I notice that www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx… specifically mentions laptop bags with wheels: "Laptop cases that have extra compartments (e.g., expandable cases, cases with wheels and a collapsible handle, backpack-type cases) are allowed, but count as the person’s one carry-on bag."

You can also call CATSA at 1-888-294-2202. The last person I gave that number to said they answered on the first ring (!) and were very helpful.

Do get to the airport with plenty of time to spare, as it appears they're still doing the extensive bag searches: thestar.com/travel/article/753777--pearson-g… .

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

It says there are weight limits (but does not specify them) but also says airlines may further restrict these limits - so same as usual, you will need to consult your airline's website.

At least a laptop bag (no wheels) does not count as a carry-on item so you can take a small suitcase and a laptop bag on business trips.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

Hi Canchick,

Thanks for posting this Update... hopefully that things are now more clear in writing that that will account less of a "local interpretation" which certainly led to a lot of Travellers' frustrations since the changes came about around 1 month ago.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

Hi Canchick,

TA TIP - It also pays to check out TA's AIR TRAVEL FORUM (you can get their from the FORUMS HOME Page... just click on the link in the grey band at the top of any FORUMS Listing).. oftentimes they have info on what is going on in the Airline Business before TA's Destination TRAVEL FORUMS (several members on that FORUM work in the Airline Industry).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 22 January 2010, 16:11
North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

In all my years of flying my carry on has never been weighed, doesn't answer your question my point I wouldn't worry about it

Markham, Ontario...
Level Contributor
366 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

It depends on the airline. Air Transat allows you a 10 kg carry-on plus a laptop. Skyservice allows you a 5 kg carry-on INCLUDING a laptop. That is a very big difference so check the airline web site!

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

I wouldn't count on the airline not weighing your carry on. I had mine weighed twice this past year.

The airlines will probably be getting more stringent due to charging for checked bags. More people will try to avoid checking and carry on more.

Markham, Ontario...
Level Contributor
366 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

When I flew out of Pearson on Skyservice January 22nd they made me put my carry-on on the scale. I had already weighed it at home so I knew it was ok. On my return trip out of Cancun I didn't have the benefit of a scale so I had no clue. The nice Mexican girl behind the counter didn't seem to care. I put it on the scale myself just out of curiousity and it was just over a kilo over. I told her I could shift some stuff into my checked baggage but she said not to worry about it. Much like passing through customs, I think a lot of times it just depends on who you end up dealing with, and what kind of day they are having.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

TO WELOVEDISNEYALWAYS,

I agree with the others... I wouldn't rely on "the past" for anything any more... the Rules for Carry-On are in the process of change... and although there are now "Guidelines" still different airports and airport personnel are applying them as to their own interpretations.

I drove a friend to the airport Mid January... they fit her carry on into a "box" to make sure it met size restrictions, and weighed it at Check-In... they also put a sticky band around the handle labelled with the name of the Airline and the words "Carry On" (at the time I wasn't sure why this was done, but I guess now was because it had met the size & weight criteria).

So ya things are in flux... as many Travellers on the FORUMS have stated nothing seems definite... Process A applies in one direction, Process B on the return. Just a fact of life.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

10. Re: Transport Canada loosens rules for carry-on bags"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 05:15