We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

We have a long layover in Toronto before an international flight and are choosing between the Pearson Lounge and the Plaza Premium. We are looking for the usual things - nice food beyond basic snacks, drinks, peace, quiet and comfort, and maybe something that lifts one out of the ordinary. Anybody with experience of either?

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

I've paid cash ($39 per entry) and used the Plaza Premium lounges, both Terminal 3 and 1. I think both are adequate, that's it. Generally quiet (after a guy stops yakking on his cell, and I turned down the TV). I think the buffet is adequate; not a substantial meal. I found them slow to clear up any used dishes in the lounge.

Maximum stay is 3 hours. At the Terminal 1 Plaza Premium - which is also branded with an AMEX sign, right after passing through security - you serve yourself beer & liquor.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

Thanks, ABtraveller. I guess it won't be a life-altering experience, but it's good to know that Plaza Premium is adequate and I wait to hear if the Pearson Lounge is any better than adequate.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

I thought they were the same thing. gtaa.com/en/news/torontopearson_today/detail… describes the "Toronto Pearson Lounge" (for Terminal 1 international) and mentions that it's "operated by Plaza Premium".

In terminal 1, your other choice would be Air Canada's Maple Leaf Lounge.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

Pearson Lounge = PPL

advantage of Maple Leaf Lounge over PPL: more spaced out seating.

I spent 10 minutes at Maple Leaf and then headed over to PPL for way more food and hardly any other travelers, unlike Maple Leaf. Holders of certain AMEX Canadian cards get free admission.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

PPL is operated by a Hongkong company and similar to other Asian lounges - more crowded seating like European lounges, more food than European/North American business class lounges.

Breakfast at Maple Leaf: cereal and fruits. PPL: scrambled eggs, sausages, soup, sandwiches....

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

Thanks guys - very helpful. Our Amex Priority Pass lists the Pearson Lounge and Plaza Premium separately. My guess now is that it's their error.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

The 3 lounges listed at Priority Pass are for domestic, cross border(US bound) and international travelers located in 3 separate areas. You will only be able to use the Pearson Lounge (operated by Premium Plaza Lounge).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

Yep -- the domestic and transborder lounges are officially named "Plaza Premium Lounge" while the international lounge is officially named "Toronto Pearson Lounge" (but is operated by Plaza Premium). Why the different names? No idea.

BTW, an official brochure with map is here: plaza-network.com/yyz_en/…Leaflet-TPL.jpg .

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

Depending on which AMEX card you have (I think it's both AMEX Platinum and AMEX Aeroplan Platinum) , you may have access to the AMEX lounge in addition to the Plaza Lounge @ terminal 1. I think the Aeroplan Platinum grants you access to the Air Canada Lounge too. see link below for AMEX Platinum card:

https:/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto Airport Terminal 1 lounges

If you follow r_yeu's link and scroll down to the list of lounges, you'll find the Lounge Provider for the Toronto airport is... wait for it... "Plaza Premium Lounge".

How many names can one lounge have?