We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winterlicious

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
winterlicious

am i too late in trying to get reservations at any of the restaurants?.....

I've just seen it advertised on the news and would like to go....

any info would be appreciated

thx

tracey

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winterlicious

the Winterlicious runs from Jan 29 so it may be late to book now at the good ones. However, if you are totally flexible, you may call them up and accept whatever time they may still have.

In fact, I am trying to book a time for next Monday and of course having a hard time. Not sure what you like, but I called up this upscale Chinese place called Lai Toh Heen and they still have time for next Tuesday.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winterlicious

Hi Tracey;

I know of a nice place in Brampton for dinner if you can't get into the Winterlicious restaurants.

;-)

Best Regards

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winterlicious

thanks r_yeu......i guess i need to call around, i wish the website had the availabilty posted....makes things easier for the customer and the restaurant...

RT....come monday said restaurant has a new steak, its called a flat iron steak, hub says its the best he's ever tasted.....let me know if you and the mrs plan on coming down....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winterlicious

In my experience, the good times between 6-9pm go quickly. I have a feeling if you started calling around now, you'd be getting 4:45pm or 10pm reservation times. I imagine some of the more popular, high end places like Tundra, Canoe or North 44 are booked but who knows.

Definitely call around though. Every restaurant has different demand. I would recommend the Rosebud on Queen West for a Winterlicious meal.

Toronto
Level Contributor
388 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winterlicious

Canoe's winterlicious reservations line was busy for hours on end starting the morning of the special "early" reservations day for Amex cardholders. (I eventually gave up, and assume that all spots were taken.) However, the Toronto Star's Amy Pataki recently published a list of her picks, 9 of 10 of which still had reservations available (at least, as of Monday or Tuesday):

thestar.com/news/…interactive

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winterlicious

thanks.....I'll look into it a bit more....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winterlicious

To be perfectly honest, we avoid both Summer & Winterlicious due to the crowds, limited menus &, frankly, a few meals that weren't up to the particular restaurant's usual standards. We have heard (completely unsubstantiated, but logical sounding) that the whole "festival" was conceived as a way to put bums in seats while Chef was off down south working on his or her tan. Nonetheless, it's extremely popular & thousands of diners go home happy, so who are we to cast stones.

But, may we make another suggestion for your consideration? Scaramouche, one of the best kitchens in town in our opinion, is again this year continuing their recent alternative to Winterlicious called "Lobsterlicious". The main drawback is that the offer only stands for weeknight dining.

As you may or may not know, Scaramouche has a reputation for using raw materials that are sensibly harvested & in their season. Lobster at this time of year is abundant & at it's best. And that abundance brings its cost down as well. Scaramouche has a lovely room with great views of the downtown skyline.

Here are a couple of links- one to the restaurant site & the second of the actual menu.

http://www.scaramoucherestaurant.com/

scaramoucherestaurant.com/lobsterlicious.pdf

Good luck & happy dining.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winterlicious

I agree with B&J re: Winterlicious. That said, there are still good deals to be had, especially if you follow the reviews on the food blogs, Chowhound (http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/23), etc. I've had a couple of very good -licious meals at Biff's, for instance -- they're big enough to handle the crowds, and professional enough not to cheap out.

At many -licious restos you can make reservations using Opentable.com -- so you can see what's available right away, without having to call.

Finally, some restos are doing their own prix-fixe menus outside of Winterlicious. Check out this Toronto Life blog post: http://bit.ly/5OXsTP

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: winterlicious

P.S. There is one thing I'd take issue with in B&J's post. Winterlicious was conceived in response to SARS, and it proved so popular that it kept going.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: winterlicious

>> I called up this upscale Chinese place called Lai Toh Heen and they still have time for next Tuesday

There is a good reason for that lol. However people may cancel, so keep calling. As mentioned, most good upscale restaurants serve sub-par food for the event. Those that don't are booked solid. I had to use a concierge service for those.