We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

U.K
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

We are going to Toronto for new year! I have a 3 and a 7 yr old. Do you think they would be out of place wearing ski jkts and trousers or is it not really necessary. It may sound stupid but I can't begin to think how cold its gonna be.

Any tips would be greatful, Thank you in advance. Also do you think we should wait until we get out there or should we buy before we go. Thank you Bev XXX

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Toronto for New Year? You are brave! I'm kidding... kind of.

Toronto in December and January is COLD. We're talking often -10 C to -20 C cold, depending on your luck, so I definately think they will not be out of place in ski jackets.

We also tend to get an healthy heaping of snow, which in the city core is magically transformed into an healthy heaping of slush. For the youngsters, I would probably recommend snow suits (lined jackets and pants) and winter boots, especially if you are planning outdoor activities such as sledding and skating. Toronto has tons of great (and free!) skating rinks to utilize.

I would buy them before you get here, as you will probably need them as soon as you arrive.

Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

We visited Toronto, Montreal and Quebec in January once. It's a great thing to do, but it is very cold. Just wear normal winter clothes on the flight but carry a thick jacket. Once in Toronto, everyone should have a full thermal set of underwear, a fleece or wooly jumper, track bottoms or ski trousers thermal jacket, hat, gloves, scarf and boots, don't bring wellies, got to be waterproof and warm, also ski socks are good. You can get away with normal winter wear if you go in the underground city, but depending on where you are staying, you may have to go outside to access it.The cold in Canada is very dry, not damp like it is here and the windchill can make it seem even colder than it is and the snow is no good at all for snowballs and snowmen, it's far too powdery, but it's great for sliding on, go to one of the parks and have a morning skating or sledging and then go to one of the coffee shops and have steaming hot chocolate! go to Niagra! the falls frozen are more spectacular than normal, and things are still open there. Have a lovely time and don't fall over the banks of snow they pile up on the side of the pavements after plowing, I did, felt like a right pillock!!

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Believe me, the cold in Canada can be very humid, depending on the region.

U.K
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Thanks everyone, i'm really worried about thre kids being cold.. off to buy more thermal undies for the kids tomorrow. So thanks again xxx

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
313 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Hi Alfieboo/Bev - My goodness - 195499 makes it sound like we live in the Arctic! LOL - New Year's in Toronto will be cold but it is not necessary to outfit your kiddies like Eskimos. Warm coat with warm sweater underneath and warm pants. Snow boots. Warm hats, scarves and mittens. Often it can be quite mild and sometimes we have rain. Winter clothing is so bulky to pack so I would suggest bringing the obvious necessities. If we have a blizzard and you find yourself short on items, we have plenty of stores. You don't mention how long you are staying or whether you will be going places other than Toronto. I live an hour from Toronto and it is very damp, not at all dry. Niagara Falls will be extremely damp. Hopes this gives you some help. "Warmest" regards. Renish.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

I've lived here for 40 years and never had occasion to wear thermal underwear in the city!! You'll die in the overheated stores etc if you wear all those clothes. You most cetainly can make snowmen, but obviously not on the street downtown!!

U.K
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Thanks Renish and Senior65, i'm quite a hot person naturally, so i've ditched the thermals. Got a waterproof winter coat and long sleeve t-shirts, hat gloves etc

We are out in Toronto for 2 weeks, my DH has an interview with Breitling which lasts 2 days so staeying at the Sheraton for 4 days then moving on, not sure where really. Can't wait though....

Thanks again for the advice xxxxxx

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Have you thought about Niagara Falls , Its the off season so Prices aren't so bad right now.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

alfieboo:I find the wind is what gets you the most. Those tall buildings make for great wind tunnels and with temperatures below zero I don't think your children should be without snow pants!! I know they will be bulky to pack but have you thought about bringing ice skates for the little ones. Nathan Phillips Square has a fantastic outdoor rink and with the holiday lights it is a great time to visit.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP please..Outdoor Clothing recommendations

Instead of bulky snowpants for your kids, Try lined splash pants and layer underneath with trackpants and thermals. The splash pants are great for the wet weather and if its warm you just don't need as many layers underneath.