We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway questions?

ontario canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Topic
subway questions?

Hi all,

I assume this has been asked 1000x but are the subways easy to use? I have never taken/rode a subway or streetcar before. Last time we were in TO we walked everywhere but this time they are calling for rain so a good reason it take the subway.

We are at the Hyatt on King and would be going to Eaton center, kengsington market, young and bloor ( thats the fancy shops right?) Is it pretty straightforward the maps are they located in the subway or can you get a map from them. How much is it? So I have poket change handy? Is it better to buy a pass? Is it the same as the street car? I remember seeing the street car in China town and know it runs straight back to younge st ???

Any help would be great.

2 more sleeps yeah!!!

Melissa

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: subway questions?

It's not hard at all. I'd recommend taking a read through tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s303/Toronto:… to get a sense of how things work.

Some specific notes:

- When arrive, you might want to walk east to St. Andrew subway station (at King and University), 4 blocks from your hotel. There, ask the fare collector for a free Ride Guide; you'll find its subway map and downtown route map handy. You can also buy tokens and day passes there. (See the fare info in the article to figure out which makes sense for you.)

- The King streetcar stops right outside the Hyatt. If paying with cash or tokens, ask for a paper "transfer" from the driver.

- For Kensington market, take the King streetcar west to Spadina and change to a northbound Spadina streetcar (showing its driver the transfer to board for free); get off at Nassau Street.

- For your other shopping, take the King streetcar east to Yonge and change to a northbound subway (show the transfer at the collector's booth to enter the subway system for free). For the Eaton Centre, get off at Queen (the end with the Bay) or Dundas (the end with Sears); Bloor station is the stop with the fancy shops.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: subway questions?

MattinTo

Thank you thank you for your great advice and quick response. I will check out that site you mentioned.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway questions?

Melissa, just a quick note to add to Matt's (always) excellent commentary.

When you ask for a "transfer" slip, that allows you to go on subway/bus/streetcar that is going in a different direction that intersects your original ride. So...If you were on the Bathurst bus, and wanted to then get on the Queen streetcar, you'd ask for a transfer, then get off the bus @ Queen, walk to the nearest Queen streetcar stop and use your transfer instead of paying another cash fare.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
1,164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: subway questions?

There is some construction at Yonge and Bloor now but I am guessing (not being a shopper) that west on bloor is still good, and up to Yorkville (small trendy shops) as well (different from Yorkdale which is a big shopping centre north on the spadina subway line).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: subway questions?

Fear not -- yes, the construction is messy, but all the stores remain open. Things would be a little less chaotic in Yorkville, which is immediately north of Bloor (most of its shops are between Bay Street and Avenue Road).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: subway questions?

Hi RoadtrippintotheUSA,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

Here is a Subway TIP that I often tell first time users... enter and exit the subway car quickly... although there is certainly enough time to get on and off the stopped vehicle safely... the stops do happen quite quickly... so don't dawdle.

Guaranteed... after having used the Subway you will be SOLD... it is by far one of the most efficient means of public transit that exists today... I know I've been spoiled by my time living in both Montreal and Toronto... and sooooo wish we had a subway in Ottawa.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: subway questions?

Get the TTC Day Pass($10 at any collectors booth or most corner stores). This allows UNLIMITED travel for 1 adult (mon -fri) or 2 adults and 4 kids on weekends. Single cash fare for the TTC is $3 . you can also get a free transit system map from any TTC fare collectors booth. Bus - Streetcar - Subway all cost the same and you can transfer from one to the other with a day pass or single cash fare transfer.

8. Re: subway questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Toronto