We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porter Airlines

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Porter Airlines

I'm a Californian and never heard of Porter Airlines before today. Saw them mentioned on old threads. I was hoping some of you savvy travellers can give me some recent feedback on them. I'm thinking of using them from Boston to Montreal. Good service still? Luggage restrictions? Any unusual rules I need to know about flying w/ them?

Thanks! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porter Airlines

Hi, PennyJo;

we'll be trying them out for the first time (Toronto-Montreal) next month, so can't offer much in the way of experience. Just wanted to point out in case you didn't realize it that you will fly VIA Toronto. 1h:45 min Boston to Toronto, then 1h:10min Toronto to Montreal with ground time in between.

B&J

EDIT: just noticed that you posted same question in MTL forum, so perhaps by posting here you already realized that Porter flights all come & go through Toronto.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 19:28
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porter Airlines

Flown them to Ottawa a year ago and they were great for service and comfort. They fly Bombardier D400 turboprop aircraft. Seat rows 7 to 10 can be a bit noisier because of the proximity to the propeller engines. I am flying them to Quebec City this weekend so can provide an update. No unusual experiences previously.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porter Airlines

The big plus for Porter is their base at Toronto Island (Toronto City Centre Airport). Free shuttle to/from the corner of Front & York (Royal York Hotel) in the downtown financial district. Small airport, quick check-in, quick security check, nice lounge with help-yourself coffee and cold drinks. Free food and drink on the plane (just a snack on those 1h 10m flights). Small plane with quick off and quick baggage, or use their sky check -- leave a "carry-on" bag at the doorway when boarding, pick it up at the door when disembarking. The Q in the Q400 stands for Quiet, it's fairly quiet both inside and on the ground. 79 passenger version of the former de Havilland Dash 8. Very nimble, so beats the jets on short flights.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porter Airlines

Haven't taken that route yet, but I ♥ Porter.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porter Airlines

Flown with them twice to Ottawa, both times for work so I wasn't carrying a lot of luggage. Overall its a very good airline experience. Good service, good food (although that seems to depend on time of flight?), free drink on the flight. The staff are generally friendly. The lounge and location in Toronto are great, though if you are just transiting through that may not matter. It seems like it would be out of the way to go Boston > Toronto > Montreal though?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Porter Airlines

KJK's last point seems like the key for me. Air Canada flies between Boston and Montreal non-stop. Of course you should check both and compare prices.

Baggage-wise, Porter allows two checked bags at no charge; Air Canada (like the American carriers) allows one checked bag on Canada-US flights with a $30 charge for the second bag.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porter Airlines

I'm flying to New York with them tomorrow for the weekend. I'll post a quick report back here so there's some updated info when I return.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porter Airlines

As far as I'm concerned, for short-haul flights (under 90 minutes), a plane's a plane. If you're flying into or out of Toronto, sure, Porter is extremely convenient, for all the reasons pointed out by Bruceandlinda. At any other airport, it's just another airline. For me, the choice is all about price -- and if they don't fly direct, forget it.

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
171 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porter Airlines

Thank you everyone for your input! It certainly eases my mind to use them in the future. I was checking out flights between Boston and Montreal and Air Canada flights did not appear on the search I made. I will check them out. The reason I was asking about luggage is that my husband and I were looking at catching a cruise out of Montreal. That means we carry another bag for formal attire and stuff. And since Porter is new to me...You get my drift. :-)

TO
Level Contributor
185 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Porter Airlines

Price is important, but you need to get bang for buck. Porter offers service, food (which you don't get these days for short haul), a nice loung, and ease. Plus their price is comparable to AC. Love that airline!