We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

We are off to the Ballet in a couple of weeks - downtown Toronto. As I have just had a baby - I am very excited to get out and be an adult and eat dinner!! Small joys eh?

Please any recommendations for a reasonable but nice spot to eat before going to the Ballet?

Thanks!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

Nota Bene has a pre-opera/ballet prix fixe that's at the high end of affordable, and it's a great restaurant: http://notabenerestaurant.com/ Reservations are a must.

Forte, which is literally across the street from the Four Seasons Centre on Richmond, is another option (and gives you free parking for the evening), but it's inconsistent. I've had one great meal there and one that was just OK: http://fortebistro.ca/ I'd pay the extra $$ for Nota Bene.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

Ok those are great - thank you - Forte looks like it might be a perfect fit....BUT what are your thoughts - if you have any about....Mediterra and / or Little Anthony's?

Thank you!!!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

I've never been to either.

Little Anthony's looks like an old-fashioned Italian American place straight from the 1950s. Which might be OK in a "we can't afford to do a nostalgia trip to New York right now" kind of way.

The menu at Mediterra just seems boring to me. And they have endangered species of fish (swordfish and Chilean sea bass) on the menu.

Also check out Mercatto (the 330 Bay St. location): http://www.mercatto.ca/ I have been there, and I like it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

I've been to Mediterra once. I had fish (sorry, forgot the name) and it was very good. One of the best I have ever had. That said, it's a bit pricy. With drinks and appetizer, you are talking about $100 for two.

The Keg at York and Adelaide is very nice as well.

So it depends on your budget and what type of food you like :)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

My parents really liked Little Anthony's, but I have not been myself.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

The Keg may be a good place to go for meat, but remember that it's also a popular after-work watering hole for the Bay Street crowd. It gets VERY noisy. not exactly a great place for a quiet pre-ballet dinner, but the perfect place to go to pick up a philandering bond trader.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

It depends on which night though. It's nice on a Saturday night.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

I think that as I play this out in my head - Forte's free parking is looking very appealing...will I be missing out? Any recommendations for food? With two little ones I am really looking forward to a night out so apologies if it all seems a bit over the top for a simple meal....but ohhh the joy of a simple meal that is not chicken nuggets!!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

1. Forte is a beautiful room -- it feels special, and definitely not chicken nugget territory.

2. The service is friendly... but the last time I was there, they were extremely slow and we barely finished our meal in time for the opera.

3. The pre-theatre prix fixe is a good deal. I loved the boeuf bourguignon the first time -- the taste and especially the presentation -- and raved about it to my (much) better half, who ordered it the second time -- and it was a bit of a mess (though still tasty). I just looked at the menu and the other mains all sound fantastic -- but of course it's all a question of execution.

4) Oh, and I remember one other thing: if the description of the dessert sounds weird, skip it. I remember thinking that their pastry chef was over-reaching bigtime.

So... get there early, have a glass of wine or two, relax, but stay on top of the wait staff and make sure they don't forget you're going to the ballet.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to eat close to the Ballet please?

Estragon - brilliant thank you....now I have booked reservations for 5:45pm for the 7:30ballet....with your thoughts in mind - is this appropriate or should I book something a bit earlier to manage the laid back staff?

Beef Bourginon sounds fantastic and I will thoroughly enjoy my 1-2 glasses of wine. I have not been to the Four Seasons Centre so I am thrilled...

The wine is more of a decadence to me so dessert being off the list in favour of a really great glass of wine is OK!!

Thank you!!