We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glendale
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
scarborough for wedding July 3rd

I am invited to a wedding in Scarborough on July 3rd. I need a hotel room with 2 beds, from July 1st to the 4th. I am traveling to Buffalo on July 4th. I am not sure what area of Toronto to look for. I will have a car and am looking for a reasonable 3 or 4 star place with soft beds, hand held shower, elevator, breakfast buffet included if possible, for around $200 US per night. Am I dreaming or what's the best I can expect? Any Hilton Hotels or comparable? Thanks.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Scarborough is a mostly residential suburb with few hotels and certainly no decent ones.

You have two options: stay downtown and drive 30-40 minutes to the wedding (depending on where it is - Scarborough is vast), or stay at one of the hotels closer to the 401, the east-west freeway that cuts through the middle of the city, and cut down your travel time by 15-20 minutes.

Personally, I'd stay downtown, where the options are endless. If you prefer to stay along the 401, your options are basically the top three hotels on this list: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g155001-North_York_On… -- not exactly inspiring, as you can see.

Do yourself a favour. Pick any of the better hotels downtown, and you'll be much happier. Good options with easy access to the Don Valley Parkway (north-south highway that will get you to the 401, which will get you to Scarborough) include the Intercontinental Yorkville, Marriott Bloor-Yorkville, Cambridge Suites, Suites at One King West, Pantages, Cosmopolitan, etc., etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

If you do decide to stay in the Scarborough area, the Delta is a good option at the 401 and Kennedy - good facilities and excellent breakfast buffet. deltahotels.com/en/…google-universal-local

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Oops! Totally forgot about the Delta! Definitely a good option:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g183458-d186896…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Hi Puglet,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

With 3 Nights in the Toronto area... I'd say divide them up... unless there are "Pre-Wedding" Events happening in Scarborough that you need to be at... save yourself some hassle and stay downtown prior to the wedding and take a Hotel in the burbs only when you absolutely need it.

Tons to do and see to fill up your free time... which will add up to more than your "wedding" commitment....

Plus by staying downtown, you'll go home with a real sense about Toronto and want to no doubt come back for a future visit (instead of having memories of lots of traffic on her highways).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Along w/ the Delta, there's a Holiday Inn Express. Not sure of it from personal recco, but the reviews seem to be consistently good. hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/yyzex/hoteldetail

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

The Holiday Inn Express [at Hwy 401 and Markham Road] is fine. Certainly well within your price range, and has the standard HIE breakfast buffet. There is a Keg restaurant [chain steak house] next door. The firm I was with in Scarborough used it for years for out of town clients with no complaints.

We've attended various events at the Delta Toronto East [ at Hwy 401 and Kennedy Road] and stayed there a few times. The hotel is good, except for some quite small rooms in the annex area. Anything in the main tower is O.K. There are a couple of fairly pricey in-house restaurants, however there are a few decent restaurant options in the general area.

Where in Scarborough is the wedding? Scarborough is quite large both and these Scarborough hotels might not be particularly close to the wedding location.

Jerry

glendale
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Thanks everyone for your good advice. I made a reservation for July 3rd at the Delta Toronto East, they say it is about 10 minutes from the reception location. I will take your advice and make a reservation in Downtown Toronto for July 1st and 2nd. Thanks to you all.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

Hi Puglet,

You are very welcome... enjoy your Toronto visit.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

While in Scarborough, consider a visit to the Scarborough Bluffs, a unique geological feature along the shoreline of Lake Ontario. They were named after Scarborough, England by Elizabeth Simcoe, the wife of John Graves Simcoe, the first lieutenant governor, as they reminded her of the limestone cliffs in Scarborough, England. The Toronto Islands were actually formed from deposits from the Bluffs that settled westward.

Take Brimley Road south (just east of Kennedy) right to the bottom where it ends at Bluffers Park - also a nice restaurant upstairs with a more casual pub downstairs - both with great views. Don't miss the houseboats!

10. Re: scarborough for wedding July 3rd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 05:17