We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking at Pearson

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking at Pearson

Will be trravelling with a group of smokers making a connecting flight to the US. Is there anywhere they can smoke at Pearson and how does that work with going through US customs. Thanks for any info!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking at Pearson

From the Pearson airport FAQ:

Q10. Are there smoking facilities at the airport?

A10. Toronto Pearson International Airport is a smoke-free facility. Smoking is permitted outside the terminal buildings, public side only, in designated areas.

Are you flying from Canada elsewhere? If you're flying in from Canada, all you have to do is step out of the airport before heading for US Customs.

If you're flying in from another country, you'll have to go through Canadian customs, exit the secure area, and then go back in through the regular US Customs area, rather than the connecting-flights area.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Isn't there a small glass enclosed area inside security where people can smoke? I seem to remember one...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking at Pearson

There aren't any indoor smoking facilities at Pearson now. You must go outside to smoke. This is in fact the case at most of the major city airports across the country.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Oncearound, most places in Canada now approach smoking from an occupational health and safety perspective - an employer faces liability if workers are not protected from known health hazards (think about that non-smoking server who did those TV ads - the lady who died of lung cancer from years of workplace exposure to second-hand smoke). There used to be some airports with separately-ventilated smoking areas, and some local smoking bylaws used to allow restaurants or bars to provide these, but I think most jurisdictions in Canada have gone to "no smoking, period" bylaws.

Tripps, your friends may want to stock up on some Nicorette gum to tide them over.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Hi All,

KRP329 is of course speaking about Heather Crowe from Ottawa and long time beloved employee of Mo’s World Famous Newport Restaurant (also home to Canada’s Elvis Sighting Society). Heather Crowe was (is) the face of Second-Hand Smoke in the Workplace (not only in Ontario… but right across Canada do to the Health Canada Ad Campaign that she gave her personal story to). Heather having been a Non-Smoker who waitressed for over 40 Years (and a favourite server here in Ottawa… of the many customers of The Newport… myself included... she is certainly missed) passed away in May 2006 from Lung Cancer. Ontario’s tough Anti-Smoking Bill came into effect just days later.

So ya your friends won’t find any smoking areas in public buildings like the Airport… they’ll have to take it outside… and as ESTRAGON has said this is a huge inconvenience & hassle for them, in that they will have to go thru both Security and Customs to get back to the Departure Gate. (Dare I say… another good reason to quit).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Come to think of it I think I remember it being gone last time we went through... must have been a senior moment. Neither of us smoke, so that's why it's a little vague. I hope they extend the bylaws to entrances also - some do, but we usually have to "run the gauntlet" to get in places like the shopping malls and department stores. Go figger, smokers usually stand upwind of the doors too...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking at Pearson

You might have an issue depending as mentioned on your connection. I am not sure you can go out without your connecting luggage as you will already be checked in for your US connection. I know in Vancouver after you check in for a US flight they make you go through to customs right away.

I would imagine it is feasible though to exit the secured area towards the domestic baggage claim, step outside, go back in to where ever your gate is and repass through security, go through customs and get to the next plane. Plan for over an hour to make sure you have time.

Of course while I do not condone smoking, if you have a lengthy connection, this would eat up a significant chunk of time. I know at Vancouver as well, there are two lines for customs, one for connections and one for regular passengers. The connecting line is always much much shorter and you do not have to repass through security.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Those glassed-in smoking rooms were all the rage for a while, but the Smoke-Free Ontario Act killed them off.

Some of the info given above applies to other airports but not your situation. For Toronto, you always have to re-clear security immediately after passing through US Customs. The details vary based on your flight plans:

In Terminal 1 (Air Canada) on a Canada-US Connection, no problem. The "US Connections" sign will take you outside the secure area, so that's your cue to have a quick smoke before making your way to the entrance to the US Connections area (where you claim your luggage to clear US Customs) at the end of aisle G.

In Terminal 1 on a International-US Connection, I would double-check with a ground staff person before you try this, but you should be able to exit via Canada Customs and re-enter at the US Connections area at the end of aisle G.

In either case, do not try to enter US Customs via the main entrance (aisle H) as you'll get separated from your bags.

In Terminal 3 (WestJet), I bet you'd be OK as I think the only entrance to the US Customs area is from the main departures hall so it'd be easy to duck outside, luggage in hand.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking at Pearson

As always MATTINTO has done a great job breaking this down for the Traveller (ya think you lived at the Toronto Airport).

Still sounds complicated... which at times like these, I'm happy that my chosen vice isn't smoking...

Still pretty easy to find a drink "behind the lines"... hic !

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Nantucket...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking at Pearson

Hi all, so here's a question - we are connecting in Toronto from New York to a Hong Kong flight, no checked bags. Will we be able to get out to the curb and then go back through security, or are we stuck inside via the connecting flight customs check?

One more trip as smokers and then we're giving it up ;-)