We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
369 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

Hi. My in-laws are going to Toronto for a baseball game on Aug.24th. They will have all day and night Aug. 25th. They are early 60's but seem like 40's. =) Very active, cultured, love gardens, wine/food, antiques (only her lol) baseball, (they are 2 shy of visiting all the ballparks in US/Cananda, that's why the trip) They are on the reserved side so things like going dancing at night wouldn't be there thing. They are staying at the Hyatt next to the ballpark. They will have rental car. They asked me to help them, so please help me score points with my NEW in-laws by throwing awesome suggestions my way... ;) THANK YOU!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

Since they have a rental car why don't they think of driving to Niagara Falls if they have never seen it? It is only about 1 1/2 hr. drive from Toronto, actually less if they are staying downtown. They will be almost on the main highway (Queen Elizabeth Way) out of Toronto to the west. They will love the botanical gardens in Niagara Falls and will marvel at how pretty everything is kept. And then, of course, there is the view of the falls. They can park and walk along beside the river and falls. Walk up or down Clifton Hill which is the main tourist street. Go on the Maid of the Mist for a boat trip right up to the base of the falls. Or visit the caves behind the falls.

Well, yes, in Toronto they could do the touristy top of the CN Tower and there are botanical gardens and parks there too but nothing beats Niagara if they haven't been there. Easy to do in one day although staying overnight would have been great.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

Oh, my gosh, in my previous reply to you I forgot to mention the wines of Niagara region. Tell them to watch for the wine route signs and drop in at some of the wineries on the way to Niagara Falls. Drive there or back via Niagara on the Lake and they'll pass several wineries. Niagara wines are marvellous!

Also if they don't mind the expense....we have had lunch at an inn by Jordan Station which is just off the Queen Eliz. highway. Name escapes me. I think it is the Inn on the 20 referring to the road it's on. The lunch is fabulous but it is expensive. Winery attached to the place as well. If interested message me and I'll look up the right name.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
369 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

Shoot!! I just found out they will NOT have a car... :/ Sorry for the misinformation...

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

There are some great walking tours they could do while here. Cities are meant to be walked and having a local guide along makes for the best use of their time.

Here is a list...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c134638/Toron…

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

A couple of things come to mind from reading your post. Your in-laws might enjoy a tour of Casa Loma.....it's a beautiful castle and the gardens are gorgeous.

Also the Distillery District is a fun place to spend a few hours. There are artisan shops, and cafes, galleries etc.

Yorkville is another area of Toronto a lot of people enjoy. The shopping is good, excellent restaurants and it's just over all a very pretty area of Toronto.

'Toronto Antiques on King' is an antique market that has several booths set up where you will find a little bit of everything (as far as antiques go).

http://www.torontoantiquesonking.com/

You can get more details on all of the above, from the 'Things to Do' option to the left on this page.

6. Re: One day, one night, Please Help w/ideas! =)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2011, 05:17