We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly drive suggestions!

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Fly drive suggestions!

Another request for help..... We are travelling to eastern Canada next year for a 19 day fly drive .... We would hopefully take in Toronto Montreal and Quebec - and Ottawa and Niagara... is it adviseable to do them all or should we concentrate on some of them. Looking at the guide books some recommend Kingston, some recommend Tremblant. We plan 2 or 3 stops - and if necessary 1 night stops - but if anyone has done a similar thing and would like to advise we would appreciate it.

If you were planning your itinerary ..... where would you go and what would you take in?

I've always been pleased with replies in the past - hopefully I won't be disappointed this time either

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Tremblant
Tremblant
1,646 Reviews
Mont Tremblant, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

First question is what time of year are you planning to visit? This will affect the advice given as some locations have different things to offer or not depending on the time of year.

It would also help to know what your "fly drive" entails. What are your arrival and departure points from/to home and are you planning to fly between any of your stops within Canada? This information will help us make suggestions with regards to number of locations, time in each and recommended route.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

While I haven't done this trip, I would say that over 19 days you should be able to hit all these places. You can go to Niagara on a day trip from Toronto and I think it is relatively easy to get to Ottawa and then onto Montreal. Maybe consider an air ticket that drops you off in Toronto and leaves from Quebec or Montreal to allow for a one way route.

Even if you spent 3 nights in each of your places you would still have time to hit them all.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

We are not visiting until August - but the flights need to be booked before the VAT in the UK goes up again!!! We will probably fly into Toronto and home from Quebec - or in and out of Toronto.... we are trying to decide on an itinerary and then book the flights. We usually pick up a car at the airport and keep it for the duration. We would like to stop somewhere for a couple of nights where the guys can play golf.... does that help at all?

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

If you can, fly into one location and out from another. That way you can either progress in an easterly (starting from Toronto), or westerly (starting from Quebec City) direction without having to back track. The distances are fairly significant, so you'll want to avoid this if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

Yes - that would be our preference.... probably into Quebec and out from Toronto....we aim to be in Toronto for the 17 August..... there is now talk of flying to New York and driving to Canada!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

Flying to New York and driving to Canada can be problematic. If you are renting a car, you may have difficulties finding a car rental company who will allow their cars to cross the border. Equally difficult would be renting a car in US and dropping in Canada - at the very least there would be extremely high drop off rates. And the drive to Toronto or Montreal from NY is a minimum of 10 hours.

I advise you investigate this option closely before making the decision.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

Hello Neep,

Kingston can be a nice place to visit in August. If travelling to/from Ottawa before/after, I would suggest taking the scenic route along the Rideau Canal and stop at some of the locks or parks.

Nearby Gananoque is at the heart of the 1000 Islands region. I would suggest a boat cruise with Gan Boat Lines.

On the other side of Kingston is Prince Edward County with golf, wineries, and one of the best beaches in Canada (Sandbanks).

Good luck with your planning.

You've picked some nice cities to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal
4,400 Reviews
Ottawa, Canada
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Prince Edward County
Prince Edward County
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,380 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

Hi Neep;

The lay of the land, from west to east...

- Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto.

- Kingston is approx. 165 miles / 265 km east of Toronto.

- Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands" is approx. 18 miles / 28 km east of Kingston.

- Ottawa is approx. 103 miles / 165 km northeast of Gananoque.

- Montreal is approx. 123 miles / 200 km east of Ottawa.

- Quebec City is approx. 157 miles / 253 km east of Montreal.

I would suggest a solid 24 hours in Niagara Falls, longer if you wish to explore Niagara on the Lake, southern Ontario's wine country.

Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in Canada & the US after New York, Los Angeles & Chicago. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do !

Canada has a natural beauty that MUST be seen, which is why the 1000 Island Region ( Kingston & Gananoque) are suggested. A minimum of 24 hours is required for this area.

Ottawa, Canada's Capital, should be 2 - 4 days.

Montreal should also be 2 - 4 days.

Quebec City requires a minimum of 3 days, IMHO.

I hope that helps get you started with your planning.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
720 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Gananoque
Gananoque
Ontario, Canada
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
445 Reviews
Alexandria Bay, NY
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply - that will be a great help.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly drive suggestions!

We had thought as much about the car hire - possibly kick that into touch unless we decide to fly back to NY before coming home.

Thankyou for your input