We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

england
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

My wife and I 50yrs and grandaughter 13yrs will become 1st time visitors this August travelling from the UK

We will be spending 5 nights in Toronto at the Hotel Victoria and 9 nights at Elhirst Resort Keene Ontario

Below is my loose plan for the Toronto leg

Day 1 - arrive at hotel aprox 3pm

nothing planned other than famiarise ourself with area and overcome jet lag

Day 2 -Visit CN Tower and ROM

Day 3 -Visit Toronto Islands and Kensington Market

Day 4 - Visit Black Creek Village and in the evening take in a Blue Jays Game

Day 5 collect hire car which we will keep for remainder of our stay and drive to Niagra Falls returning via Niagra on the lake

Day 6 to Day 14 stay at Elmhirst Resort

Days 1-4 we intend walking or using public transport only to all places mentioned

We would also like to fit in a visit to chinatown, The Eaton Centre and the Bata Shoe Museum if time permits

Do you think this is a reasonable itinary and what should we include or drop from our plans

Also at Niagra we would like to take a helicopter flight. Do you need to book in advance and if so with who

Finally can anyone offer any advice re places to go sights to see during our time at Elmhirsts Resort

Thanks

John

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

John,

I think you have a great itinerary. Walking and public transport is the way to go in Toronto. You will have no problems there. In my opinion on day 2 or 3 of your trip you should have no problems finding time to fit in Chinatown, Eaton Centre, and the Shoe Museum. Chinatown is something you will probably only need an hour or so to experience, but it is worth it just to see the shops and markets. Eaton Centre will be open later than the museums so checking that out in the evening is an option. And I've never been to the Shoe Museum, but I would imagine if you have a couple extra hours available that would suffice.

It sounds like a great trip - have fun!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

John, you can visit Chinatown the same day you go to Kensington Market; the market is located just steps from Spadina Avenue, which is part of Chinatown.

The Bata Shoe Museum is located a short walk west of the ROM on Bloor Street, so if you don't mind visiting two museums in one day, you could take in both attractions the same day and save yourself from having to make a return trip to the same area another day.

The Eaton Centre is only a 10-minute walk north of your hotel on Yonge Street, so you could easily stroll up there while you are familiarizing yourself with the city after your arrival.

Toronto
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

the black creek village is at jane and steeles...this will take a combination of subway and bus to get to...maybe a cab also...

newcastle
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

Hi, You seem to have everythig covered off. However I would advise you take a Hippo Tour. This is a bus tour of the city but with you then going for a dip Toronto Harbour at the end (inside the bus). see website www.torontohippotours.com and you get a discounted meal at an Italian restraunt on production of your tour ticket at the end, and this is from someone who turns his nose up at bus tours, can't recommend it enough. For Niagara you don't need to book the Helicopter ride, you will find flyers offering the service. Don't forget the maid of the mist as well, we loved getting soaked. I would not be too fussed about the walk behind the falls as due to erosion the view isn't as great. miss out Clifto Hill (Blackpool!!). Your Grandaughter will love it at Marineland a sort of fun park with loads of rides and Killer Whales to touch and feed with Dolphin Shows but would take a full day out of your itin. Niagara on the lake is a must for us as we like a drop vino now and then. When we visited we just filled our boot with good local produce! anyway that's about it other than enjoy your trip.

Bradford, Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

You have great advice for Toronto and Niagara, I think your granddaughter would enjoy Marineland. I haven't been to Elmhirsts in decades and it's supposed to be quite nice. It's on the north shore of Rice Lake and has a nice sandy beach. They'll be lots of kids your granddaughters age and recreational activities there so you'll have time to relax after the busy time in Toronto. Peterborough is about 20 minutes away, has some shopping but you must see the Peterborough Lift Lock. You can take a boat tour through the lock. Also, depending on when you are there, Peterborough has a Festival of Lights and open air concerts in the park. Petroglyphs Provincial Park is nearby-Indian rock paintings. Check out http://ontariotravel.net for Central Ontario region. There is a calendar of events. Look for 'Kawartha Lakes' area. A nice drive is north from Elmhirts, through Lakefield (where Prince Andrew went to school) to Young's Point, Stoney Lake (take a boat tour), Buckhorn (Gallery on the Lake)Bobcaygeon and Fenelon Falls are very nice, small resort towns on the Trent Severn waterway.You are in the heart of Kawartha cottage country-not as expensive as Muskoka and it's more farm country than rocky outcrops but it's a very nice area. Have fun

Bradford, Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

Here are some links of interest:

http://www.thekawarthas.net

http://www.festivaloflights.ca/

http://www.galleryonthelake.com/

If you want to take a whole day, consider driving to Algonquin Park: lots of lakes, trails, great Visitor Centre and very good chance of seeing moose or deer. It's about 3 hours but very scenic drive

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

just a thought. if you're coming in the last two weeks of august you might want to check out the CNE (canadian national exhibition). the granddaughters would probably enjoy it. it's like a giant fair, with great exhibits for shopping, a midway with games & rides, and other great attractions. :)

your itinery sounds great. i hope you enjoy our city! :)

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

i would stay for one night in Niagara Falls, this way you can do all you want and not have to worry about driving back to TO...:)

Michigan
Level Contributor
294 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

I think you'll love the Toronto Islands, my wife & I always include a day here on our trips to Toronto. You can rent bikes and tour all the islands, ride by the neighborhood cottages, visit the small amusement park (no admission charge), swim, take a cooler and picnic, etc. All while having the best view of the downtown skyline across the water. It's about a 15 minute ride, catch the ferry at the end of Bay St. You'll probably want to take the Centre Island ferry, this will dock closest to bike rentals and most activities.

Also, Toronto has several great theatres if you want to take in a show one evening.

UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Comments on my 5 day toronto Itinary???

Jefflad,

Just looking for info through the forums. Thx for the tip re: Hippotours... looks fun and will definately book it!