We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February visit and possible side trip

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
February visit and possible side trip

Hello to the Toronto forum. I will be visiting with family end Feb, staying with the in-laws. I think my wife's relatives may drive me nuts after a few days, can anyone suggest a nice getaway destination for a couple of nights, a few hours drive from Toronto?

I will have a car, and am aware the weather may not be too good for driving that time of year, so will stay flexible with arrangements. I've been to Niagara Falls before, so cross that one off the list. Any suggestions welcome.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February visit and possible side trip

On the outskirts of Barrie there are some really nice hotels, spa/hotels. Also check out the Collingwood area if you are into skiing, and outdoor sports. I have stayed in both areas, in different hotels. I would say - according to what is listed on sites like travelocity, etc. you would be happy with most hotels that are at least a 3 star. If you're looking for something different, try a resort hotel like the Westin Trillium House, or maybe the Cranberry resort, or something in Blue Mountain (near Collingwood). Have a great time!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February visit and possible side trip

How about Kingston? Lots of choice in hotels/B & B's and restaurants. You can shop (downtown area is very nice, as well there is a large shopping mall); go to a museum (Penitentiary Museum, Museum of Healthcare etc.).

ktown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: February visit and possible side trip

Muskoka!!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February visit and possible side trip

How about driving to Ottawa for a couple of nights. It's a easy 4-1/2hr drive along our major highway 401. Lots to see in our nations capital. Also Winterlude is on there during February. Skate on the frozen Rideau Canel check out the ice sculptures. Lots of sightseeing options. You can also easily drive over into Hull, Quebec while in Ottawa for a quick peek.

Toronto
Level Contributor
85 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February visit and possible side trip

If my in-laws were driving me nuts, I'd drive east for a couple of hours to a quaint (luxurious) inn with good (gourmet) food. Throw in a little snowshoeing ( w hot chocolate and brandy) and it's the perfect Canadian winter getaway.

http://www.merrillinn.com/packages.shtml

http://www.domainofkillien.com/

Edited: 06 January 2011, 03:27
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February visit and possible side trip

Langdon Hall in Cambridge, outrageously expensive, and worth every penny: http://www.langdonhall.ca/. From there, you can take a little side jaunt to St. Jacobs http://www.stjacobs.com/. If you continue further South west from there, you're headed into major snow country, but Kitchener/Waterloo is still just this side of the snow line.

Consider about 1 hour north, just before Barrie, The Briars resort up by Lake Simcoe. http://www.briars.ca/

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February visit and possible side trip

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I ought to have mentioned that I will have two youngsters in tow, so that probably rules out some of the more upmarket options (wonderful as they sound!)

I'm leaning towards Kingston and The Thousand Islands - though I'm guessing the boat trips may not be running this time of year? Some indoor options for the kids would great.

Keep 'em coming please!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,462 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February visit and possible side trip

Hi EalingBlue;

You're corrrect...the tour boats through the 1000 Islands will not be running in February, when the average "High" is -2C, average "Low" is -10C.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February visit and possible side trip

If you are traveling with kids, you may want to consider one of the many year round resorts that offer something for everyone, but especially activities to occupy the younger set. A few that come to mind include the Fern Resort, Deerhurst, Nottawasaga Inn, Blue Mountain -- all within a 2 hours drive of Toronto. There are a number of websites you can check out, but you might find it helpful to start with www.resorts-ontario.com.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February visit and possible side trip

The Briars, Fern Resort and Bayview Wildwood (both up in Orillia, about 1.5 hours away), Blue Mountain (Collingwood), Nottawasaga ALL cater to families, so your kids wouldn't be an issue.