We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Actually, I'll be traveling with a 12 year old, a 16 year old and an 18 year old. I've read the guidebooks, and browsed the forums, but I'd like to hear specific do's and don'ts. We'll be arriving late (6:00-7:00pm) on a Friday night, and will stay the week-end. In addition to Sat. and Sun. suggestions, what 1 thing could we do on Friday night? We will be in Toronto in early July.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Hi,

Is your flight arriving at that hour or are you planning to be at your hotel at that time? Assuming 7:00pm flight arrival, with collecting baggage and clearing customs, that should get you downtown around 8:30PM. It would be helpful to know where you are staying & if there are particular interests within your wide-ranging family demographic :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

We will be driving into town from Ottawa, and should arrive about 6:00. We plan on staying on the east side of town (less expensive hotels)- in the Scarborough area. We'll have a car, but we also feel comfortable using public transportation.

Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

As for what we enjoy- we thoroughly enjoy going to the unique places that only 'the natives' know about. We love regional or ethnic food. We like touring neighborhoods, and special places that make the city well-known. We're not into art, the social scene, or theater. We don't mind going to the expected places (like the CN Tower), but we don't want to only do 'touristy' things. We all have good stamina, and expect to pack as much as we can into our days in Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Neighbourhoods you might find interesting-

Kensington Market (with various ethnic shops, bakeries, restaurants), West Queen West, Roncesvalles (Polish), Chinatown (at Dundas & Spadina), the Danforth (Greektown), Corso Italia, Little Italy on College, Leslieville, LIttle India.

Toronto does a lot of ethnic foods well- Portuguese, West Indian (Caribbean), Chinese (Cantonese, Szechuan, Northern/Shanghai-style), Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Italian, Korean, just to name a few. The list goes on. Check out the Chowhound Toronto board for restaurant ideas.

Quite a few Toronto restaurants focus on local ingredients lately, including the Globe Bistro, Globe Earth, Beast, Buca, among others.

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/23

food threads you might find interesting:

tour for a visitor http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/765393

what does Toronto do best: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/731162

Edited: 07 March 2011, 05:59
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

The Distillery District (an old distillery that's been converted to an arts district, with restaurants, shops, places to walk) and Cabbagetown (with Victorian houses with beautiful frette work) are also worth visiting.

If you're interested in food, it's also worthwhile checking out our St. Lawrence Market, esp on a Saturday morning when the farmers are in the north market (across from the larger south market that's open Mon-Sat) selling regional products. http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/

High Park is worth visiting, if you like large parks. Leslie Spit,and the boardwalk along the Beach, are nice places to go for a long walk.

If your kids like visiting zoos, the Toronto Zoo might also be worth a visit.

Edited: 07 March 2011, 06:04
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Hello! Here are my personal favourite neighbourhoods:

You must do St. Lawrence Market on the Saturday morning! Vibrant and yummy.

Visit the Distillery District....might even be some event on that weekend. Step into SOMA for some local handmade chocolates.

Kensington Market.

Take a ferry at Harbourfront and rent bicycles on the islands.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Hi,

Just so you're aware, public transit from Scarborough into downtown will probably take you about an hour each way, which takes a significant bite out of the day. Driving at peak hours will take just as long- you'll be going WITH the traffic.

Having said that, if you stay in Scarborough we'd suggest for your Friday night that you head to The Beach neighbourhood, which is on the east side of the city. You could have a nice dinner on Queen Street E, then enjoy a stroll on the boardwalk that flanks the beach for several kilometers. Should be lovely in early July.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Just to mention that if you don't want to wait in a queue forever you should head to the CN Tower very early, before official opening time.

The way to beat that is to go to the restaurant, with the complete meal price you get free admission to the main lookout and also the glass floor. It is actually a great deal but with teenagers I really don't know. Lately the restaurant has been closed for lunch but it will certainly reopen in the summer, at least for brunch on week-ends.

Even if you are not into arty thing the Royal Ontario Museum has a very good collection of dinausors skeletons which are ususally popular with kids and there are also some dioramas of Canadian wildlife that may interest them.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

There are some hotels in the Scarborough area that are truly unpleasant. (I know this because my son was scouting some "bad hotel" locations, and most of 'em that we drove to look at seemed to be out there!!!) It's not normally an area for tourists, more residential and industrial.

Scarborough is actually a suburb of Toronto, and as B&J indicated, not easily accessible through transit. If you would let us know what hotel you were considering, we might be able to assist you a little better, and perhaps save you from some unhappiness when you arrive late in the date with teens! Maybe if you tell us what you're interested in, we can give you a location and some suggestions that are more suited for a family vacation.

Texas
Level Contributor
182 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Toronto with 3 teen-agers. What are the must-dos?

Oh thank you! I had considered the Holiday Inn in Scarbrough because it looked like it was near a transit line, and it's reasonable rates. I went to the transit website, and did figure out that it would take over an hour to get into the interesting areas of Toronto. I was trying to decide if the time was worth the cost trade-off. I would love some hotel suggestions that are more convenient! We are just on a budget, and I need to keep the cost at $150 or less.

Thanks!