We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Charlottetown...
1 post
Save Topic
Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Hi all, I'm looking to surprise my wife with a weekend getaway in Toronto! I've already contacted a baby-sitter (Grandma) and will be looking to surprise her not only with airplane tickets but also a great weekend of relaxation and little romance... I've been looking for places to stay in Toronto and came across a few places like Drake, Sutton and Cambridge Suites... These all looked pretty good - Wondering if you guys could help me find a great romantic spot? Any of these?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Hi Victor302,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are a Brand NEW Member to TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

I can certainly give you a suggestion for a romantic meal… check out the Canoe Restaurant & Bar… lol, if no one is afraid of heights… it is a great location… 54th Floor of the TD Bank Tower (ok, not the CN Tower… BUT the food is better).

Canoe ~ an Oliver & Bonacini Restaurant = http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Canoe.aspx

Well deserving of its current # 1 Ranking on the TA RESTAURANT REVIEWS Section (as of today ~ Saturday, March 12, 2011 at just after 2 PM EST).

TA REVIEWS - Canoe Restaurant & Bar = tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155019-d7…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… That all said, if this is your first visit to Toronto… then Dinner at the CN Tower certainly has more WOW Power… and for that reason alone it would be worth it.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Avoid Sutton Place Hotel it's more of a hooker haven than a romatic hotel.

The Drake. is defiantly suited towards couples. They have a pleasure menu that has sexual kits to suit anyone's sexual needs. The rooms are fairly small. It's a hip hotel more suited for the under 40 folks.

The Cambridge Suites is a fantastic Hotel. The rooms are all suites and newly renovated. It would be my first pick for a romantic gateway. Also the hotel has a nice romantic bar just off the lobby. It's nice and quiet .

Not sure what you're budget is, but also check out the Germain Hotels and the RItz Carlton , Soho Met, and Hazelton Hotel.

http://www.germaintoronto.com/en/home

http://www.germainmapleleafsquare.com/en/home

www.metropolitan.com/soho/

www.thehazeltonhotel.com/index_main.php

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Nice work, Victor!

You don't mention your ctiteria for considering the hotels you mention, but you may also want to take a look at the Soho Metropolitan & Le Germain (the one on Mercer)- both are nice "boutique" hotels that could help facilitate a very romantic weekend.

The Drake has great restaurants in the immediate area, around the corner on Ossington Av, such as Delux, Paramour, Union, Bohmer, Foxley, etc. There are also a lot of great places just west in Parkdale.

The Soho Met & Le Germain are on the edge of the Entertainment District, but there are good restaurants in the area such as Ame on Mercer, Senses right in the Soho, Tutti Matti on Adelaide St, Brassai & Buca on King West, Marben on Wellington West, Scarpetta at the Thompson, etc. These two are also not far from Canoe, which Wine-4-2 mentioned, and the CN Tower. To kick the romance up a notch, you might also want to consider a couple's massage at Hammam Spa at King & Portland.

The Sutton Place is a little bit stand-alone. There is a resto across the street called Bistro 990 that has quite a romantic room; it's very French. We haven't eaten there in years, though, so don't really know how the quality is these days. The hotel is a few blocks south of Bay & Bloor, which is a gateway corner into Yorkville. It's also 1 block west of Wellesley subway station, so it's pretty well placed for getting around. (Can't comment on the hookers, though!)

The Cambridge Suites is near to a few very nice places on King East just a few blocks away- Origins, Kultura, & Hiro Sushi. St. Lawrence Market is also very close for some weekend sightseeing. Nothing says romance like chocolate and also not too far away on the east side is the Distillery District, where you could head to Soma for some house-made chocolate, or hang out with a paper at Balzac's sipping excellent cappucino.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited: 12 March 2011, 21:54
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,711 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Hi Victor302;

For a great romantic spot, I would suggest the Old Mill.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155019-d224676-…

http://www.oldmilltoronto.com/

Best Regards

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Soho Met is still the winner for us - join the frequent guest program before you book if you choose this - usually get an upgrade. They have some reasonable packages on the website.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Hello Victor302,

If money is no object the Hazelton Hotel should be considered for your romantic getaway. It is a gorgeous hotel in a beautiful area of Toronto, called Yorkville. The nice thing about staying there is you can walk to restaurants and boutiques and the entire area has such a lovely atmosphere. The hotel itself is incredibly romantic...think 40's glamour. It's all very chic. The entrance to each suite is very impressive with his and her closets, counters and storage space for luggage and a small fridge stocked with complimentary water and sodas and other beverages you can purchase. The room has a huge flat screen tv, a siting area, a super comfy bed with high end linens and drapes that open and close with the push of a button. Every detail has been well thought out. The bathroom is marble from top to bottom.. There are heated floors, and even a tv screen built into the mirror in the bathroom. The room service is absolutely amazing and is the best room service I have ever had anywhere in my travels. There is also a fantastic restaurant on site. The Hazelton Hotel is definitely expensive, but I guarantee it will be something you will remember for a very long time.

Best wishes.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155019-d656431…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g155019-d1…

http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Got my vote for Soho Met and Le Germain. In that neighbourhood, you'll also find Buca (down a funky alley beside Scholastic books HQ on King) and Jacob's Steakhouse. If she's a meatasaurus, Jacobs will put her over the edge!!!

Canoe is flagship for O&B, but it is not open on weekends, and I'm betting you are romancing on a weekend...

Up at Bloor Street, you have the Intercontinenal Yorkville, I love the service you get in there. It's right across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum, and down the street from the Bata Shoe Museum. Around the corner you have Yorkville for strolling. I recall that one of our previous foodie posters loved Caren's Wine bar.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

Hotel suggestions all excellent . The Old Mill is not very central but right on subway line and it does have inroom hottubs :). If staying there try dining at ViBo in Kingway village or head to Bloor West Village. Couple of other activities to consider...Toronto's excellent theatre..checkout www.toronto.com. High tea at the Windsor Arms, one of the many waterfront dinner cruises (depending on when you are planning to be there) or book salsa lessons for you both. Marben is great but would recommend someplace more like Saramouche or just find yourself one of the zillons of great little intimate restaurants Toronto has to offer.

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

If you and your wife enjoy art and food, then spend a morning at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) followed by a leisurely lunch at the Gallery's restaurant, Frank.

Or stroll through the Distillery District and stop at Soma for some amazing chocolate.

Like previous posters, I recommend Canoe for a romantic dinner, but I may be a little biased with this choice -- it's where I got engaged!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to romance my wife!! - Any suggestions?

If you are not planning of visiting the town but more to be together then, if budget allows, I would certainly go in the countryside. Then Langdon Hall in Cambridge, one hour from Toronto can deliver a lot. You can rent a car since it is on the same side of Toronto than the airport so an easy drive or they could organize some limo service.

With a car you could go to Saint-Jacobs for the great farmer market one day but also, depending on the time of the year, play golf around or simply wander trough the gardens and forest at the hotel, not to say anything about the spa treatments available. And if you get some treatments you can make a reservation for the sauna and whirlpool tub that will be kept private just for you. Dining room is one of the few restaurants in the country to be awarded CAA/AAA 5 diamonds award.

If coming from May to October you are also at a very easy driving distance to Stratford where you can attend a performance of the celebrated theatre festival.

www.langdonhall.ca