We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge Suites or One King West

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quincy...
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge Suites or One King West

I've done a lot of research and I'm stressing over which of the two properties to choose from. I like that One King has a subway and streetcar directly at the property and seems rather new. Cambridge, on the other hand, I would save $100 total over the 4 nights, is a little more centered downtown (we'll be spending a lot of time in the Vilage and Queen West area) and has the seperate bedroom/living room setup. Cambridge has a higher approval rating here on TA as well. Money isn't the driving force for my change of heart- as I was originally set on One King. It comes down to which rooms are nicer/better overall? Ideally I'm looking for somone who has either stayed in either or has received feedback firsthand from others who have stayed in one or the other (or both!)

Thank you very much ahead.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

HI BriTravel.

Welcome to the Toronto forum.

I have stayed at many hotels in Toronto, but not at either of the two that you are asking about. But I have talked to lots of people who have stayed at both and One King usually comes out on top. Other people will feel differently, it's such a personal thing. If I was to have the choice between the two I would stay at One KIng, in fact I hope to stay there soon so I can see for myself it the views are everything they are advertised to be. Best of luck.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

Cambridge Suites is by far a better hotel! I have stayed at both many times over the years. All the rooms at the Cambridge have been newly renovated so everything looks brand new. The street car and subway is a short walk away.

One king west is a huge hotel mixed with condos, it can be real zoo at times especially if it's a busy week like when i stayed there, the elevators for the tower were always packed. Rooms in the tower part do have nice views if that's important to you.

Cambridge on the other hand is a smaller scale hotel it's quieter and more suited for businesses travellers and they have a great little lounge off the lobby. Also if you book one of the city scape rooms at the Cambridge, you get continental breakfast and wi fi included with the price.

michigan
Level Contributor
221 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

I've stayed at One King West three times and liked it a lot. The rooms are nicely decorated with a modern style but the cheapest ones tend to have very poor views or no view at all. One time my room looked on to an indoor atrium (or something like that) and it was very very dark. I agree with the reviewer above that it can be a zoo at times in terms of busy-ness. Did not have any problems with noise though.

Have not stayed at the Cambridge Suites so cannot help on the comparison. All my rooms at OKW were much nicer than the one I had at the Royal York though.

We are headed for Toronto this weekend, but are staying at the Downtown Marriott Residence Inn. I am very curious to see how this compares to OKW as I was originally booked there but got a better offer at MRI.

Good luck.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

The hotels are both extremely well situated. Cambridge is steps from a subway, same as One King. The main diff is that One King is right in the heart of the financial district, so at night, the area is quite empty, where Cambridge gets a little more street traffic from the Yonge Street connection. They are separated by about a 5 minute walk; one is at Richmond & Yonge, the other at King & University, so from a time perspective there is very little difference to where you want to be; One King is the more westerly of the two venues, vis a vis your Queen west comments. One King was initially designed as condo, now a popular business hotel because of its location. Cambridge tends to attract more of the tourism trade.

If you can save that $100 to go spend in a nice shop on Queen West, or on a beautiful meal...why not??! After years of stressing about hotels m'self when planning our holidays, I finally realized that in cities like Toronto, I spend very little time in the hotel room; truly, it's just where I go to sleep, and change before dinner.

Back in your court for a decision!

Quincy...
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

Thank you all for the helpful information! Flyinmom I couldn't agree more with your comment that, particularly in big cities, there is minimal time spent in the hotel room (we're from Boston). I'm the planner slash stressor when it comes to hotel standards while my other half is just looking for a place to open and shut his eyes each day. He made the same comment that you did just last night. I ended up booking Cambridge Suites based on all of your feedback, the fact that they both provide a suite style stay and fairly similar locations and lastly because I ended up saving $200 for the four nights. You just can't say no to that difference in price. Now I will definitely take advantage and splurge on that nice meal :)

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

You made a good choice!!! Cambridge Suites has that luxury hotel feel,

LIke pyegirl i like One King West. But i have found some rooms are hit and miss. I paid money for a larger room with a view only to find out the room is hardy any larger than the cheap rooms and the so called "view" was looking into office buildings

The Cambridge rooms are better laid out and all rooms are suites and come with 2 tvs fridge, microwave.

P.S. pyegirl Residence Inn is a better hotel than One King. The rooms at the Residence Inn are large and nicely decorated, it feels like your own condo in the middle of the city, you will love it !!!

Edited: 08 April 2011, 17:36
Etna, Ohio
Level Contributor
504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

<They are separated by about a 5 minute walk; one is at Richmond & Yonge, the other at King & University, so from a time perspective there is very little difference to where you want to be; One King is the more westerly of the two venues, vis a vis your Queen west comments. >

One King is at the corner of King and Yonge, not University, so it really is not any more west than Cambridge Suites.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

Thanks, Pizzalady1; you are entirely correct, I was mentally picturing myself coming out of the parking lot there, and had mistakenly identified it internally as that other corner. BriTravel, even though I screwed up the corner, nonetheless, you have made a great choice. And ya, I know what you mean about stressing for planning the trips. Dunno what it is about The Guys that we're the ones who go through this, but...it is what it is! Have a fantastic trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

I just wanted to chime in and say I just recently stayed at Cambridge Suites and really enjoyed it! It is so close to the subway, and lots to do and see around it. Have a fun time!

10. Re: Cambridge Suites or One King West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 21:19