We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Dayton

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Dayton

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Dayton, OH to see the airforce museum over the Easter weekend.

Would any of you recommend any other place on our way to Dayton that is worth seeing.(probably for half a day..)

I am travelling with my husband and 9 yr old son. So interests would be: kids friendly activity or scenic beauty.

Thanks,

Jay.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Dayton

Hi MontrealVisitor,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

Ok, guessing that as you have posted this in the TORONTO FORUM that your plans are to cross into the USA either at Niagara Falls, Windsor or Sarnia… and you are looking for ideas in this part of the Province.

NOTE – Of course Toronto is in Canada… and a good part of your journey will be in the USA (so whole other country)… For ideas on the US Side of your journey, you really should be posting your Question the FORUMS for the States you’ll be travelling thru (ie NEW YORKPENNSYLVANIAOHIO or MICHIGAN and OHIO) As then the Local Advisors & DEs for those areas will be able to see your Questions and respond to you with suggestions (US DEs for example, do not check in on the CANADA FORUMS)

As well Questions about other States & Countries… could be considered OFF TOPIC for this the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM… (this is because keeping things grouped together in the right spots means that when others use the SEARCH Function to find info, they are able to find what they need).

In Southern Ontario… Niagara Falls Area is a great place for families… with lots to see and do (truly too much to go into here on the TORONTO FORUM). I suggest that you check out the following Websites for more info

* Niagara Falls Tourism = www.niagarafallstourism.com

* Niagara Falls USA Tourism = www.niagara-usa.com

* Niagara Region Tourism = www.tourismniagara.com

* Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce = www.niagaraonthelake.com

* Niagara Parks Commission (where you'll read about most of the Bigger Attractions) = www.niagaraparks.com

And also take a look at TA's NIAGARA FALLS and NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE Travel Pages, as well as their respective TRAVEL FORUMS.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Easter Weekend is a bit tricky, as it will fall at the end of April... which is still considered either Late Winter or Early Spring for much of this region... and consequently many things won't be open as of yet for the Summer Season (typical openings beginning sometime in May). For example... I doubt that Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky Ohio will be open late April... but you could check www.cedarpoint.com

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Dayton

Hi MontrealVisitor,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

Ok, guessing that as you have posted this in the TORONTO FORUM that your plans are to cross into the USA either at Niagara Falls, Windsor or Sarnia… and you are looking for ideas in this part of the Province.

NOTE – Of course Toronto is in Canada… and a good part of your journey will be in the USA (so whole other country)… For ideas on the US Side of your journey, you really should be posting your Question the FORUMS for the States you’ll be travelling thru (ie NEW YORKPENNSYLVANIAOHIO or MICHIGAN and OHIO) As then the Local Advisors & DEs for those areas will be able to see your Questions and respond to you with suggestions (US DEs for example, do not check in on the CANADA FORUMS)

As well Questions about other States & Countries… could be considered OFF TOPIC for this the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM… (this is because keeping things grouped together in the right spots means that when others use the SEARCH Function to find info, they are able to find what they need).

In Southern Ontario… Niagara Falls Area is a great place for families… with lots to see and do (truly too much to go into here on the TORONTO FORUM). I suggest that you check out the following Websites for more info

* Niagara Falls Tourism = www.niagarafallstourism.com

* Niagara Falls USA Tourism = www.niagara-usa.com

* Niagara Region Tourism = www.tourismniagara.com

* Niagara-on-the-Lake Chamber of Commerce = www.niagaraonthelake.com

* Niagara Parks Commission (where you'll read about most of the Bigger Attractions) = www.niagaraparks.com

And also take a look at TA's NIAGARA FALLS and NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE Travel Pages, as well as their respective TRAVEL FORUMS.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Easter Weekend is a bit tricky, as it will fall at the end of April... which is still considered either Late Winter or Early Spring for much of this region... and consequently many things won't be open as of yet for the Summer Season (typical openings beginning sometime in May). For example... I doubt that Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky Ohio will be open late April... but you could check www.cedarpoint.com

Do know that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and the Columbus Zoo are both open year-round

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Dayton

I see Google maps suggests going via Detroit, crossing at Sarnia, which is what I would do. The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn is very little out of your way and worth half a day.

Etna, Ohio
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Dayton

Also you can hit the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame .

cincinnati
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Dayton

MontrealVisitor....I am from Dayton and truthfully there isn't much else in Dayton to see besides the AF Museum. Just north of Dayton about 30 miles or so is the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum located in Wapakoneta Ohio. This would be exit 111 off I-75. If you cross through Michigan, this would be on your way to Dayton. If you cross at Niagra Falls you would most likely come through Cleveland. There is the Rock and Roll Hall there which your son might enjoy. I particularly enjoyed seeing Jim Morrison's Cub scout uniform haha. Coming down I-71 from Cleveland, the Columbus Zoo is supposed to be very good ( Jack Hanna's zoo). Also in Columbus I'm sure your son would enjoy COSI in downtown (forgot to mention it is closed on Easter). For accommodations near Dayton (about 45 minutes south of the museum) is the Great Wolf Lodge near Mason, Ohio. It has an indoor waterpark which I have heard is very good. Be aware that around here only US currency is accepted. The weather forecast for this weekend is mid 60's with chance of thunderstorms. From what I understand, gas at $3.73/gal. and milk at $1.79/gal are bargains. Enjoy your visit and if I can be of any help to you, please let me know.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Dayton

Thanks wine42 , Ron, pizzalady , daflyers for your response.

Wine42, Sorry if this was out of topic. I posted it in here since I thought there may have been Torontonians who would have done this trip and I can get their advice on this..

Thanks,

Jay.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Dayton

Hi MontrealVisitor,

<< Wine42, Sorry if this was out of topic. I posted it in here since I thought there may have been Torontonians who would have done this trip and I can get their advice on this.. >>

True enough... and I get that aspect... and in this case you did get some great feedback.

Just was giving you a heads-up on how the FORUMS "are meant to work"... in this case you did come back and find some posts had disappeared... "The Owls" ~ TA Moderators (and perhaps an automated system) seem to find things that are OFF TOPIC and DELETE them.

And as I said, you'll always do best when posting in the correct spot anyways, as that is where you'll find the "Locals" who know the area well and the TA Destination Experts who REALLY KNOW their stuff.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Although perhaps out of your way for the shortest route... as you can see a lot of people here recommended the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland... it really is "smashing"... one could easily spend a whole day there. The memoribilia is fabulous, and the displays well put together. They have a permanent collection, and then exhibits / performers that they showcase. Highly recommend it... have been a couple of times and would go again in a heartbeat if I was driving thru the area (Past Showcases that I've seen have been... Bob Dylan - The Stones - and John Lennon) truly amazing stuff.

8. Re: Toronto to Dayton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 06:19