We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

I'm heading to the other side of the globe on Friday and I wouldn't want rains to ruin my trip. Forecasts below show rains from Friday until early next week. I have no idea what the actual situation might be. What kind of "rains" should I expect during spring in Toronto?

During the forecasted days I plan to stroll downtown Toronto and some of the sights around the city like Casa Loma, etc on foot. Though, we will have a car with us most of the time. Will the weather affect my plans?

www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX0504

http://weather.ph.msn.com/tenday.aspx?wealocations=wc:CAXX0504&q=Toronto%2c+CAN+forecast:tenday

www.accuweather.com/canada-forecast.asp…

myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m…

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Casa Loma
Casa Loma
6,101 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

I have learned over the past few years that counting on the weather forecast isn't all that reliable. I was involved in an event not too long ago in Toronto when the weather was an important factor. I followed the forecast for days and not once was it accurate. If you bring an umbrella and a water proof jacket with a hood you should be ok as far as getting out and about in Toronto (if it does rain while you're here)

Also I find the acuweather site has the closest forecast.

Edited: 09 May 2011, 14:14
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,591 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

They usually are not torrential downpours... an umbrella / a rain jacket will get you by

There is always someplace to duck in

I would not have a car while staying in Toronto the parking rates are big $$ if you can find a spot

Buy a TTC day pass & do the sights

www3.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/…index.jsp

enjoy the trip

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Hi GreenArcher04,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

Canada’s climate is dominated by our extreme swing in temperatures (aprox 100 degrees F between Summer & Winter)… more than anything else… and not being close to the Equator or tropics we really don’t contend with things like Hurricanes or Monsoons in our transition seasons (Spring & Fall)… overall our rainy times are pretty inconsequential… as my esteemed colleague NORTHERN DECORATOR has said, they may or may not happen at all.

Rarely do we have a day that it rains all day, or to any great extent… the weather folks will say rain is in the forecast, even if it so happens to be a 5 minute occurrence in the whole day.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much… just come prepared in case it does happen… but honestly more often than not Springtime weather is moderate and pleasant (perhaps overcast)… and some days that see warmer temperatures and bright sunshine to some degree.

If coming from a far warmer climate… your biggest challenge here will finding our days and nights much more chilly than you are used to… so dressing in layers might be helpful.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Hehe that's where I'm different. I LOVE the cold. It's scorching hot here right now so I'm really looking forward to weeks of very comfortable temperatures.

I lived in Beijing for a while and the temperatures during spring there was so erratic. Looking at the weather forecasts, I think Toronto has a much longer spring and not too drastic changes in daily temperatures.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

The past 2 days have been gorgeous! (Finally). We arrived 2 weeks ago and the weather has mostly been rainy or cloudy and finally cleared up.

Like the others mentioned, I wouldn't go by weather forecasts.... When we got here it said no sun in sight for weeks so we were a bit worried but it's been really great the past 2 days.

We also got a really sunny day to visit Niagara Falls as well. We hit High Park yesterday and it was gorgeous.

The only thing I'll say is Toronto has horrible traffic due to all the construction going on in town. We have been driving around a good bit and there is construction going on in several different areas. The city can feel a bit like a construction zone.

Long term that will be great for the city but if you're stuck in it then it can be annoying. Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
708 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
High Park
High Park
1,945 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Several of those forecasts show "showers" and probabilities of precipitation under 50%. All-day heavy rain should show up as "rain" and POP of 80% or more. So you're likely looking at more of a cloudy visit than a wet one.

Saintba, there's an old Canadian joke that there are only two seasons here: Winter and Construction. Cold weather puts much more wear and tear on the roads, and leaves a much shorter part of the year in which to fix them up.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 02:31
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

"Saintba, there's an old Canadian joke that there are only two seasons here: Winter and Construction. Cold weather puts much more wear and tear on the roads, and leaves a much shorter part of the year in which to fix them up."

Hey Matt,

LOL. So funny and probably true! I haven't been to Toronto in ages but the last time I was here there wasn't this much construction. I guess with the economy booming, the government is spending lots of money repairing roads. It would just be nice if they didn't do it all at the same time. :)

I'm glad to know it's not just me and I wasn't being paranoid about the construction. Good to know the locals complain about it as well.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Wow the rain today was terrible. It made the trip to St. Jacob's very wet.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

Sadly, Greenarcher04, it's lookin' kinda wet for the next 5 days. So, we all just gotta buck up, and put on the rain gear. I always find that as long as I can keep my feet dry, I'm okay with the rest of it. While I'm not really finding this rain particularly uplifting to my spirits...my garden just went from 0 to 60 in the last 24 hours! Yesterday, my Eastern Redbud barely had bumps on it; by the end of today's rain, the buds are all over it, read to pop!

10. Re: Worried about the weather conditions in the coming days.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 23:17