We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi TripAdvisor forum'ers,

I posted something back in April, and majority of the information given by the posters, were invaluable - I went back to the 'drawing' board and planned out exactly what we should do on our visit. We opted to stay at the Sheraton Downtown as doing research into Best Western, it seems to be located in a 'not-so' nice part of Downtown, hence why we opted to stay at Sheraton for an extra £23.

However, I have some queries on certain things which I hope some of guys can help me with :D :

I came across the 3 islands - and correct me if I am wrong, they are collectively known as Toronto Island? But I was wondering how can we arrange the 1hour cruise to the Island (i.e. I can book them here for £9 or is it best to book it when we come over)? And also, whilst researching into the island, I've come across that we can hire bikes on the island, to go and explore at our own leisure (and some people said, you can come back on a later cruise boat if you wish) - but where can we hire these bikes? And how much do they cost?

I hope you guys can help. Thank you in advance!

Jahad

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,466 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi Jahad;

You can take a City of Toronto ferry to any of the three islands, Ward's Island, Centre Island and Hanlan's Point. You can return from any othose islands, back to the same mainland dock at the foot of Bay Street.

toronto.ca/parks/island/ferry-schedule.htm

You can purchase your tickets for the ferry prior to boarding.

Centre Island is the most popular location, with a children's amusement park and the rental bicycles.

www.toronto.ca/parks/island/centre-island.htm

Best Regards

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi RescueTeam,

THANK YOU soo soo much for your help.

Just to clarify, the harbour cruise is totally different from the ferry ride to any of the 3 toronto islands?

If they are, then I can go ahead with booking a cruise too. But one thing im not sure about is that, does the cruise allow you to hop off onto the islands to do things at your own leisure :S and then return on a later cruise boat? Thats the thing im really confused about.

I hope you can help (or anyone else).

Thank you.

Jahad

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi, yes the harbour cruises are different from the city ferries. To our knowledge the harbour cruises do not make any stops at the islands & do not permit hopping on & off.

This map may help you to orient yourself on the islands:

toronto.ca/parks/…toronto_island_map.pdf

Edited: 13 May 2011, 21:08
London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the clarification. That is the only thing we had a '?', but you helped calrifuy this for us :D !

Just a small question for you (or others who have visited the islands) - in respect to the bike rentals, would you happen to know how much the rentals cost?? I have been - from what it seems like - have researched into this, but cannot get any info relating to the rental costs. The closest thing i got to was the Toronto BIXI rental programme or something - a bit like our Barclays Bike hire that we have here in London, especially in the West End/Central London.

Thank you once again everyone.

Jahad

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi, Jahad;

Bixi is exactly like the Barclay's hire system. It is not appropriate for the islands becuase it is designed for bike usage of 30 minutes or less.

Here's a link to the rental business on the islands:

https:/…2567321.html

I would wait till after next weekend (our Victoria Day bank holiday when lots of summer services open up) then give them a call to enquire about their rates.

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your message/link to the relevant website.

But do you know how much they cost? If not, then I shall ring them or something to find out.

I have found this also, if anyone could say whether they have been on a tour with this company:

http://tourcycle.ca/islandtour.html

Btw, what is the hop on/off tour?

Thank you guys :D,

Jahad

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi, Jahad;

sorry, don't know the rates because we always bring our own bikes over. We can't find anything online about the rates, so it's best to call & ask.

Regarding the island tour, we've not done this. If the self-hire ends up costing more than $7.50 per hour then the tour looks like a good deal, although you will not have the freedom to explore at your own pace. Also, the tour itinerary mentions the clothing optional beach located near Hanlan's Point and personally, we wouldn't want to be part of a group of group of gawkers, if in fact they take the tour there for a peek. Also, it's probably a minor point, but the photograph they use on the web page is not from the Toronto Islands, but from the Leslie Spit, a finger of wild land that juts into the lake.

Re: the hop on hop off tour, are you referring to the bus tour? We're not very familiar, but this has been discussed extensively on the forum in the past, so you could enter the words into the search bar up top & check out the previous discussions for more info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Bixi rental in my neighborhood (Queens Quay West) is $5.00 per 24 hours. You might consider renting a Bixi on Queens Quay West (the ferry docks are on Queen's Quay), and take in on board the ferry. You can do Ward, Olympic, Centre, Hanlan's Point cycling. I think that may be what you're thinking of, instead of a boat cruise.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

Hi, JABuenafe;

there is still a lot of confusion in Toronto about how the Bixi system works. It is not, in fact, a 24 hour rental, it is a 24 hour "subscription" which grants you the right to use a Bixi Bike as many times as you want at no extra cost within that 24 hour period, for periods of up to 30 minutes at a time. If you keep the bike for longer than 30 minutes you start incurring extra charges.

The system is designed for short one way trips, which is definitely suited to in-town sightseeing, but doesn't lend itself to taking the bike to the islands for a few hours. Here's a quick rundown of our first time using it:

…blogspot.com/2011/…hey-baby-do-you-bixi.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto Islands Cruise & Bike Rental

I reported the island bike rental prices a couple of years ago (tripadvisor.ca/…18887622); they may have gone up since then.

You can do just fine exploring the islands by yourselves, so personally I'd recommend the ferry to Centre Island and a bike rental there.