We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from niagra falls to toronto

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
from niagra falls to toronto

I am seeing Niagra Falls with my wife and friends on June 15-16, wanted to spend a couple nights in Toronto after, June 17-18. Was wondering what kind of transportation we would use to get from Falls to Toronto and about how much for each?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,294 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

Hi bekahwhitman;

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

You have four transportation options available to you;

1. take a VIA Rail train, but limited number of trains between the two cities. www.viarail.ca

2. take a bus, frequent service. www.greyhound.ca or www.coachcanada.com

3. take a day tour bus, numerous companies.

4. take a combination of GO Transit train / bus.

gotransit.com/public/…seasonal.aspx

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

You don't mention if you must re-trace your steps & head back to Niagara after your visit to Toronto, but depending on your plans another option is:

5. Rent a car & drive to Toronto.

Depending on how many of you there are this could be the cheapest option. You will not need a car in Toronto, so it would be best to do a one-way & drop the car off upon arrival. If you need to, pick up another to drive back.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

Thank you very much for your input, Bruce and John. The 4 of us are renting a car and driving from Niagra to Mississauga, where we will get a room and ride to the city on the rail. Any idea how late the rail runs?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

Hi;

Unless there's some compelling reason (ie family?) to choose Mississauga, we'd recommend you stay in downtown Toronto. The train service parallels the lake and to our knowledge doesn't offer proximity to many, if any, of Mississauga's hotels. You may just be tempted to stick with the car, which would end up chopping huge swaths of time from your visit while you sit in traffic.

For train service info go to www.gotransit.com and check on the Lakeshore West map & schedules.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

We just visited Niagara Falls. We have a rental car here in Toronto as we've been here the past 3 weeks. Like Bruce_and John wrote, just keep in mind traffic and construction is HORRIBLE here in Toronto. Especially downtown. I've probably never seen a city that had as much construction EVERYWHERE going on. It's pretty much all over the city.

We're staying in a nice house near High Park and even around there there is a lot of construction on streets like Bloor and Dundas and other small streets, big streets, downtown.

I went downtown yesterday to have lunch with a client at the Fairmont and I was literally sitting in traffic in construction for 30 minutes to only go about 6 blocks.

I'm not sure how those of you living in Toronto can cope with such construction going on all over the place.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

@saintba;

LOL- bicycle!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,294 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

Hi saintba;

It's common to say that we have two seasons in Toronto, Winter & Construction !

;-)

Best Regards

Edited: 21 May 2011, 17:14
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

@ Bruce_and_John and RescueTeam:

Yeah! So true! I've heard that "two seasons comment --- Winter and Construction" so many times the past 3 weeks... so so true!

I've really been amazed at just how much construction they have going on all at the same time but my local friends have explained to me they can't work during the winter so they do it all when it's not Winter....

Economy seems to be BOOMING here..... you guys sure spending a lot of money repairing roads. ;)

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

Saintba, economy not necessarily booming, but the frost doesn't come out of the ground til about mid-April. What that means is that after the winter, the ground is still frozen about 1 foot down into the ground. Starts to get hard to move again around end of November, so...the only time they have to do these big jobs is May to October. Sigh.

10. Re: from niagra falls to toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 06:20