We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for 1 day in Toronto

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
154 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for 1 day in Toronto

My husband and I will be visiting friends in Aurora, Ontario at the end of July and only have 1 day to spare in Toronto. We plan on visiting Toronto on Sat. July 24 and I had a few questions regarding our itinerary.

We are considering leaving early enough so that we arrive in Toronto and get to the CN Tower a little before it opens (9am). I would like to do the Elgin & Winter Theaters tour they offer at 11am. Would we be pushing it to get there by 11 if we plan on doing the Glass floor and Lookout, not the SkyPod at CN? What will the lines look like before it opens? How early should we plan to arrive if we don't want a huge wait?

After lunch we will be doing a tour of the Steam Whistle Brewery and if there is time we might swing by the Bata Shoe Museum because it sounds too bizarre! =) Suggestions? Is this too much?

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for 1 day in Toronto

Aurora is just about 40 minutes north of Toronto proper. It's a commuter community, so getting into Toronto is really of no consequence.

However, Saturdays are prime CN Tower days, because it's the weekend for everybody, plus tourism days. Generally, it's usually better to go before 11 a.m., if that is all you're doing but...your itinerary is a little scattered. You're running back 'n' forth like a duck in a shooting gallery with this one.

I did some time checks for you. Bata Shoe museum is fun, and it's just a small place, but it doesn't open til 10. So...why not cut yourself some slack on the weekend? Try it in this order instead: head downtown to the Elgin for 11. Take the Elgin tour from 11-12:30. Then have lunch at Beerbistro nearby on King; that will take you to 2-2:30. Take the King St. Subway up to the St. George station, have a look at the Bata Shoe museum. At best, that will take an hour; so now we're at 4-ish pm. Get back on the subway, go down to Union station, and then take the skywalk to the CN Tower. Steamwhistle Brewery is in the old roundhouse, which is actually across the street from the base of the CN Tower. Tours run every half hour and last tour on Saturdays is 5 pm. When you finish @ Steamwhistle, go across the street and take the late day view of the city up the CN Tower. Print your tickets out in advance, save a little lineup time. Sunset for July 24 = 8:49, so if you get there about 6-6:30 pm, you won't have the crowds yet for the sunset, but you'll have the lull from the afternoon family crowds. You could consider eating your dinner up there; if you do, you get access to the Glass floor with your dinner reservation.

Yes, it's a lot, but you know yourselves best. If you think you can do it...go nuts!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
154 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for 1 day in Toronto

Haha, shame on me for not even considering the location of anything! I've been around the TA forums too long to make that mistake. =)

Your suggestion sounds MUCH better and planned out. I love the idea of seeing the city from the Tower in the evening!

The Beerbistro sounds yummy, and my husband is a big beer fan so he will appreciate that. Where is the Kensington Market in relation to everything else? We are debating wandering around there for a bit instead of Bata Shoe Museum. May just wait to make a decision until we get there and see which sounds more appealing...

3. Re: Questions for 1 day in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 21:16