We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Rodersdorf...
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Hi been to Toronto before and done the touristy things already so just going to potter this time. After my husband concludes his business we want to spen 3 days somewhere nice. Done the Niagra falls way, and we would love to see Autumn in Canada, gold forests etc.. We will go middle to late September and would appreciate any advice. Thank you. Love you Canadians!!!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Consider south western Ontario, toward Guelph, Kitchener Waterloo, Stratford (straight out along Highway 401 westbound out of Toronto). Stratford is home to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, and is still in their theatre season for another month at that point, It's rural Ontario at its best. Beautiful countryside, you can stop in St. Jacobs along the way for some Germanic-influenced food and crafts (that's Mennonite country out that way, lots of great fresh craft market foods). Stratford itself is a beautiful small town with one of Canada's finest theatre troupes. Lots of great restaurants in town, B&B opportunities and hotels, depending on what you like.

Check it here: http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/

They have all sorts of links in their site to help you with a trip there. It's roughly 1.5 hours out of Toronto. Very easy to get to.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,027 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Hi Sutton_9;

About a 3 hour drive east of Toronto (180 miles / 290 km.) is the town of Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". From there you can take a boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

They offer 1 hr, 2.5 hr, and 5 hour tours. The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out;

The Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

1000 Islands Skydeck

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200493-d1…

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664-…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/yonca/hoteldetail…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Canada has a natural beauty that MUST be seen, which is why I'm suggesting some time in the 1000 Islands Region.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

You could consider spending a few days in Montreal. It's a 5 hour train ride away and you'll see plenty of colours from the train en route.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

If you want to go to a place to enjoy the fall colors The Deerhurst Resort is something you might want to look into. It's a beautiful area about a two hour drive north of Toronto where you can enjoy the outdoors, go hiking, golfing or any other of a number of the activities offered there.

www.deerhurstresort.com/…

And the following link will give you all kinds of other information about the area.

http://www.huntsvilleadventures.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

You would have to go north to Huntsville in middle to late September to see any kind of colour change on the trees. Even then, that might not be far north enough to see the trees at their best. In Toronto we don't get a good burst of colour until early October.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Rent a car and drive north to Algonquin Park. The autumn colours will be just starting, so you can get an idea of them. You might also see moose, bear, beavers, otters, etc. There are many hiking trails and it will still be possible to paddle a canoe.

Rodersdorf...
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Thanks, so much to chew over -ahh, the great outdoors of Canada, maybe not too much as we will be there late September , as I suppose we will have to think of rAiny weather too.

Thank youRescue Team for all those links, I think we could end up going to 1000Islands, it looks lovely there and I love water but the idea of seeing moose, beaver and bears is awesome too. Decisions, decisions!!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

I would most definitely choose Algonquin over the 1000 Islands. The 1000 Islands area is scenic but that is about all. Algonquin, depending on the year, might have some good autumn colour in late September. If so, the views can be spectacular, and there is the also bonus of wildlife.

Jerry

Rodersdorf...
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

Is it just hiking in this park or is it really for campers? Not too interested on the canoeing, not very experienced and I don't like the idea of falling in the COLD water much !

What do you do if you come across a bear on this park -play dead?!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,027 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I go for a few days after Toronto, Not Niagra way!

You're Welcome, Sutton_9 !

Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario is approx. 2945 sq mi / 7630 sq km, and is about 160 miles / 256 km north of Toronto, about a 3 hour drive.

Most people go to the park for its remote wilderness and to camp in the great outdoors. I would suggest visiting the official Algonquin Provincial Park website for additional information.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/algo.html

www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

Best Regards