We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about Toronto geography

new york
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
question about Toronto geography

Hi, I am getting very excited about my trip to Toronto tomorrow! My B&B, the Admiral St. George, in on St. George Street, near the Dupont subway station. This weekend is both the Salsa on St. Clair festival, which is on St. Clair Avenue West between Christie Street and Winona Drive, and Afrofest, which is in Queens Park. My question is if these are within walking distance of my B&B. I was playing around with Google maps and it looks like they might be but thought I would also ask the experts. If not, what is the best way to get to those locations from the B&B.

Thanks in advance,

Jill

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about Toronto geography

Hi Jill,

You could walk to the St Clair festival but you would have to be in pretty good shape. There is a large hill between Dupont and St Clair. My suggestion is to take the subway 1 stop north to St Clair West and then the St Clair streetcar going West. We spent a fortune on that St Clair streetcar line so we should encourage people to use it. :0) Maybe there is a weekend TTC pass you could get.

For Afrofest, long hike too, so take the subway south and get off at Queen's Park. Hope you have a great time in Toronto.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about Toronto geography

Hi Jillbaila,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

TA TIPS - GOOGLE MAPS

If you zoom in to a nice level you can actually see a lot more, and use the WALKING Feature to calculate times and distances for anywhere you want to go...

Click on DIRECTIONS... and then a box will open in the top left hand corner... you can choose two destinations (either by address, landmark name, or just by putting your mouse on a spot on the map and right clicking)

Also you'll see that you have the option of doing the calculation by vehicle (the default)... OR Walking, Cycling, or Public Transit.

Once you get the hang of it... you'll love it.

Also while playing around with GOOGLE MAPS be sure and check out the SATELLITE & STREET VIEW Options... a great way to “see” a Destination BEFORE you ever get there… and get a good lay-of-the-land.

STREET VIEW is especially fun… and informative. You can take “the little yellow man” for a drive around town and get a great curb-view of just about anywhere imaginable.

Love, Love, Love GOOGLE MAPS when Trip Planning !!

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… And BING MAPS is a great tool too… love their Bird`s Eye Feature… another whole perspective of a Destination.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about Toronto geography

I would definitely do the walk one way, anyway., for both destinations. Both walks will give you a really good feel for the city and those neighbourhoods. Your B&B is probably about a 20-25 minute walk from both.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about Toronto geography

Hi, Jill;

You could walk to both events depending on your fitness level.

Salsa on St. Clair is closer, but will require you to climb the steps where Spadina hits Davenport Rd., then with some slight uphill all the way up to St. Clair. A left at St. Clair and a walk of several blocks west will get you to the festival.

To get to Queen's Park it's a pretty easy & slightly downhill walk. You could go straight down St. George to Harbord then left a couple of blocks to the park.

Both venues are also on the University- Spadina subway line. Salsa on St. Clair would be accessed from St. Clair West station, just 1 north of Dupont, and Afrofest is accessed from Museum Station, just 3 south of Dupont.

If you need any encouragement for Salsa on St. Clair, we posted a few tunes this morning at our blog:

…blogspot.com/2011/07/friday-frequencies-tim…

Bring your sunblock- it looks like it's going to be a hot & sunny weekend!

new york
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: question about Toronto geography

Thanks everybody for the helpful information. I live in New York City and am used to walking a lot so I am glad to know that it might be possible. Maybe I will walk to the festivals and then take public transportation back to the B&B. As for subway/streetcar fares--it seems like if I buy a weekly pass it has to start on Monday and go to the following Sunday, correct? That is too bad because I will be in Toronto from Saturday to Saturday. Is there some sort of weekend pass?

Bruce and John--no encouragement needed for the salsa festival! I am definitely planning on heading there on Sunday. Since I will be arriving in Toronto Saturday late afternoon I was trying to figure out based on distance if it made sense to go there Saturday evening as well or maybe try the Afrofest instead. I guess I will figure that out when I arrive.

Jill

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about Toronto geography

Hi Jillbaila,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Have a great visit in Toronto... and as BRUCE-AND-JOHN have said, pack along the sunblock & water... because we are most certainly having a "scorcher" of a summer so far !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about Toronto geography

Yes the TTC weekly pass starts on Monday. You might want to invest in a TTC day pass for any of your full days in Toronto, in case it gets really hot or you want to give your feet a break.

You might also want to try the bike-sharing program for quick trips around the city: https://toronto.bixi.com

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about Toronto geography

Hi, Jill, glad it's coming up so fast for you. I would definitely suggest that Salsa on St. Clair one is an easier go for you. And if you want to take the scenic route, there is a staircase that goes between our funny little Casa Loma castle and Spadina House, two heritage landmarks on your way up to St. Clair. Save your energy for the dancing, and use that streetcar from at the top of Spadina and St. Clair to take you to the heart of the event over near Christie. It is supposed to be a real scorcher on Sunday. The cash fare for the streetcar = $3.00.

9. Re: question about Toronto geography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 00:16