We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto + USA 2011 November

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Toronto + USA 2011 November

Hi everyone

We really need some advice. Its my Grandmas 90th bday October 30th and they are having a big party in Toronto where she is. My husband and I are going to this, but we would like to combine our trip with a crossover to the USA and do some road tripping if possible. We want to only spend max 3days in Toronto (a long weekend) and then have about 10days. We are thinking West coast (LV/LA/SF) but that might be a bit too unrealistic given out time constraints? we were also thinking east coast (NY/Boston/WashingtonDC) or even slightly alternative and go Vancouver(I hear its beautiful) and cross the border to Seattle? The other option is to just fly out to cuba or the carribean and have a lovely week in the sun... we would prefer SOME sun/beach as part of our holiday but are not too fussy.

thanks for you time reading this

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

Here are three overall comments, followed by some more specific advice:

First, you may have difficulty getting advice by posting on the Toronto forum, which is primarily focused on people visiting TO not on taking trips from there.

Second, and more fundamentally you will need to focus your choices quite a bit. I realize that was the purpose of your enquiry, but both literally and figuratively you are “all over the map”.

Third, you need to consider the distances involved. As a Canadian who spent several years living in London a long time ago, I can tell you that people who live in Britain have no comprehension of the scale of North America. Nor, should they be expected to do so, as it is vastly different from Britain.

Now to the specifics:

1. The west coast would not be practical as a road trip. It is much too far, about 3000 miles in fact. You could, however, buy an open jaw ticket and return to the UK from Vancouver, San Francisco or LA, and arrange a driving trip on the west coast. If you do, you should rent and return the car in the USA. Cross border rentals are possible but expensive because of drop off fees. The weather on the west coast at that time of year will be fine, especially if you go as far south as Southern California.

2. Weather will be more problematic on the east coast, as it is getting late in the season. You could fly to say Washington, DC, rent a car there and head south to the Carolinas. There are nice sea resorts at Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, both in South Carolina and lots of history to see in towns like Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA, as well as further north in Virginia.

3. There are lots of one week package holidays from Toronto to Florida and the Caribbean. The end of October is low season, so you should be able to get some good pricing on a package. It is still within the Atlantic hurricane season, so weather may be unsettled, but past the peak, which is in September.

In summary you need to focus on a specific geographic region if you want to do a car trip, or alternatively, you should consider a fly holiday after the big birthday celebration.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Florida
Florida
United States
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

I would say Cottage_Life has you covered pretty well.

I would add that the timing means the weather can turn overnight from beautiful cool fall into drizzly cold and grey November. For the minimal time you have to play with after Grandma's b-day, you would do best to ditch the car idea, and fly. Along with the great distance issue, you're also going to discover flying in North American has much more limited choices for cost saving. No Ryanair here, sadly!

You could pick up Porter Airlines direct to EWR (Newark), which is an alternative airport in New Jersey to go to Manhattan (NYC). They also now have a route into Boston. They are in downtown Toronto and a great airline, but their prices are consistent with all our others. If you get yourself to Buffalo, just over the border from Niagara Falls, you can pick up South West Airlines or JetBlue; they are the Ryanairs of the US, but they aren't available in Canada. You could connect with one of those if you want cheap flight to the US west coast. From Toronto, it is ~5.5 hour flights to any of those West Coast destinations you list. And those flights ain't cheap, unless you access via the Buffalo option I mentioned.

From a cost/time perspective, I think your idea to go to the Islands from Toronto would do you much better. There are many sun-destination travel packagers here, i.e.

Sunwing http://www.sunwing.ca/

ITravel2000 http://www.itravel2000.com/HomePage.aspx

Sunquest Vacations sunquestvacations.ca/travelinfo/ebrochures.a…

The GBP is trading about 1.5 against the CAD, so if you use a Canadian service provider, you'll be getting a little better bang for your buck. Flights down to Florida/Cuba/Carribbean are more like 3.5 hours.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Florida
Florida
United States
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

Hello LondonMocha,

Welcome to the Toronto forum.

If you are looking for a restful vacation in the sun for your week following the birthday party, I would highly recommend Cayo Largo in Cuba. (since Cuba was one place you did mention)You would be pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced the packages are from Toronto to Cuba. Cayo Largo is a quiet area and is so incredibly gorgeous and very relaxing. It has some of the best beaches in the world....particularly the Serena and Paradiso Beaches. It's not that I don't want to encourage you to see Canada, but the time period you are dealing with is in between seasons - so to speak, so most of the fall colors have already reached their peak and the trees are pretty bare which can give a bit of a dreary look to some of the countryside. Getting back to a sunny spot..if you check accuwaether you can get an idea of the temperatures and what it's usually like in Cuba at that time of the year. I found it to be the most accurate of websites as far as the weather goes in Cuba.

http://www.accuweather.com/

Good luck with your trip plans.

Edited: 10 July 2011, 19:23
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

Hello again LondonMocha.

Just in case you do any research....I made an error in the spelling for the names of the beaches I mentioned in my above post. The beaches are the Sirena and the Paraiso.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

Hi LondonMocha,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

And I see that you are NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

The others have given you great advice… let me add a bit more…

Sounds like a great adventure… and no matter what you choose I am sure you will have a great time.

I suggest that you become familiar with an On-Line Mapping Program (I like GOOGLE MAPS) as it will greatly aid you in being able to comprehend times and distances… as well as where things are.

As COTTAGE-LIFE014 has said, Canada and the USA are HUGE… and nothing at all like the UK. So although a road trip is certainly a great way to spend a vacation… in terms of distances (and just 10 Days) it truly isn`t realistic for the places that you want to get to from Toronto.

North America is GIGANTIC !!

Canada and the USA are just two countries… but BOTH are individually… about the same size as ALL of Europe… combined about half the size of the continent of Asia.

Canada alone is over 8000 Kms (5000 Miles) from the Atlantic to the Pacific… comprised of 6 Times Zones, 10 Provinces & 3 Territories. And Equal to aproxixmately 41 times the size of the UK. (Even the Province of Ontario, in which Toronto is located is more than 4 times the size of the UK)

The places that you have in mind are all quite far from Toronto… so your best bet will be to fly to them… and then rent a car and tour around at your leisure (NOTE – International Cross Border Rentals as COTTAGE-LIFE014 has mentioned are problematic in that they are very expensive due to Drop Fees… a charge that is paid when you rent a car in one location… and drop it off in another… Drop Fees can be EXCESSIVE… to the point that the fee can be much larger than the whole rental charge).

If your plans ultimately do include touring a bit of Canada by car and a bit of the USA as well… look at splitting the car rentals into two lots… one for each country. It is easy enough to do… and a common occurrence with Travellers looking say at Southern Ontario (the Niagara Region) and then heading onto Northern New York State… or British Columbia and then heading onto Northern Washington State. In both instances public transit is good for crossing the Border… and in the case of Niagara Falls Canada and Niagara Falls USA… one can just walk across the Rainbow Bridge between the two countries.

Late October, and November and the weather starts to move from Fall towards Winter for a good portion of Canada… and the Northern USA… which also can make driving problematic as well… especially as the threat of snow can become more and more a possibility.

If you are looking for sunshine and warmth… then you`ll want to concentrate your efforts on the East Coast SOUTH of the Virginias. As stated previously, Myrtle Beach can be particularly splendid in October & November… and the crowds will be long gone.

The farther south you go… the warmer it will be… Florida will be downright hot still in that timeframe. And although it is still technically in Hurricane Season (June 1st to December 1st) for the most part there shouldn`t be any big issues, as you`ll be “over the hump” when things are their worst… late August, September, early October.

The Caribbean is also an option be it Cuba as NORTHERN DECORATOR has laid out above it is easily accessible from Toronto (although not so from anywhere in the USA… do to their embargo)… infact much of the Caribbean will be ON SALE during November… as FLYINMOM said... as it tends to be not a very popular time to travel. You might want to also consider a cruise... many of the cruise ships have good deals on in November.

When Trip Planning on TA… as mentioned you`ll want to check out the various TRAVEL PAGES and TRAVEL FORUMS for any of the Destinations you might have in mind to learn more about them and what they have to offer at that time of year.

TA is set up like a Directory / Atlas... from largest to smallest... Continent - Country - State / Province / Region - City / Town / Village... so most places you could ever dream of have a listing here on TA.

The TRAVEL PAGES (those categories to the left of this screen… TOURISM – TRAVEL GUIDE – THINGS TO DO – HOTELS – RESTAURANTS etc) hold a ton of info… for example, in the TRAVEL GUIDE (no matter what Destination you look at) there will always be a chart showing the Monthly Average Temperatures… this can be a big aid in you knowing what to expect… lol… and help you to decide perhaps on which Destinations look for favourable than others.

Example…

November in Toronto and the Average HIGH is aprox 6 C (43 F) and the LOW is aprox 1 C (34 F).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Florida
Florida
United States
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
6. Re: Toronto + USA 2011 November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:18