We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball matches

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
783 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Baseball matches

My partner and I are going to Toronto in June for 4 nights and I was thinking about booking to go and see a baseball match while we are there.

Now I know nothing about baseball, I can't ask my partner cos he won't know anything about this trip til a week before we go as its a surprise for his 40th birthday.

I looked on the Blue Jays website and I can see they are playing three times over the weekend we are there. Now forgive me for being thick, is this 3 seperate games? Or is it one game played over a few days abbit like test cricket? Also, the start time was 4.07p m on the Sat, which seems an odd time, why not 4 or 4.15?

Roughly how long would the match last?

Also where do you recommend to sit?

I think i would like to go and experience it but just wanted a bit of advice for a total novice!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball matches

Neisar

I'll do my best to answer. Although I've been to several Jays games, I'm not a baseball fan.

1. Even if you see 3 games with one team over a weekend, the games are truly separate.

2. The start time of 4:07 pm is likely for radio/tv.

3. Games go into overtime if it's a tie after the standard 9 innings. From what I recall, plan on 3 hours.

4. As far as seating choice goes, I'll definitely leave that to a fan.

A couple of tips:

a) beer is sold at games in plastic cups. It is illegal for one spectator to have more than 2 in their possession. There are signs.

b) baseball is referred to a game - rather than a match

UK
Level Contributor
783 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball matches

Ah - so i mustn't get caught out at the match........er.game!

Thank you for the tips, hopefully more people will reply too!

Its a good atmosphere then? We are actually big rugby fans but not seen anything playing over there, out of season which is a shame!

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball matches

Neisar

you will love a blue jays game:)..my in-laws oringinally come from England and the biggest thing they bring back for the nieces and nephews are the blue jay jerseys.....welcome and have a great time in Toronto:)..a game lasts for about 3 hours :)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,406 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball matches

As to where you sit, go for the best you can afford.

Most of the action takes place in the infield (the diamond with the three bases and homeplate in the corner, officially marked by the curved line going across the field. You definitely want to be within that curved line.

There are different schools of thought as to whether it is better to be on the first base line (the seats on the right as you look at the plan) or the third base line (on the left). I like the first base line, as most of the action takes place around the first and second bases.

I would go for the purple field level infield seats if you can afford them. Unfortunately these seats cannot be ordered online. You would have to order them by phone. Otherwise, use the "best available seat" option and you will be given the best of what is available online.

The game itself is quite simple. Two teams of nine play nine innings. They alternate batting and fielding. An inning is over when three players are out. The three main ways of getting out are being caught on the fly (like cricket), three strikes (either swinging and missing or the umpire judging that the pitcher has thrown the ball through an invisible strike zone - between the batter's shoulders and knees and over home plate - without the batter swinging) and by failing to reach a base before the ball is thrown to it.

The game lasts three to three and a half hours usually.

Toronto
Level Contributor
352 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball matches

There's lots of rugby action going on around the Toronto area in June.

Check out: www.torontoxtreme.com/pages/page_59.asp

or visit: www.torontorugby.com

Some of the schedules are online now for various Toronto-area clubs. If you do a Google search you'll likely find some.

As for beer at the Blue Jays game, it's extremely expensive. For example, a bottle (341 ml) will cost about $8.75 Cdn. Most bars sell a bottle for $4. East Side Mario's next to Rogers Centre sells tallboys of beer (about a bottle and a half) for $4.50 so we go there before any game.

Depending on when you're here in June - if you're here June 2 or June 17 - I'd recommend the Toronto Argonauts football (not socer) game. They are at home those two days. A much faster game thn the NFL and very affordable. I'd be happy to provide you with some complimentary tickets if you like.

Kevin

UK
Level Contributor
783 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball matches

Thank you thats very kind - we are over on June 23rd for 4 nights. So will miss those games. Thats a really kind thought though.