We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Cardiff, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Hi

We are planning to be Toronto for 3 nights. Has anyone got any suggestions of what to do ? We are thinking of hiring a car ? is this necessary? can anyone suggest any drives/day trips ?

and finally what's the best area to stay in Toronto ?

Sorry for the question bombardment but appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Hello!

It would be very helpful if you could tell us the ages of people in your party, and interests. If you take a look at the right hand side of your screen, you'll see a list of top questions. "What to do in Toronto?" and "Where Should I stay in Toronto?" are good starting points for you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Also, you do not need to rent a car in the city of Toronto. Parking is too expensive; it's better to use public transit.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,123 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Hi WelshyTraveller;

Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in Canada & the US after New York, Los Angeles & Chicago. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see & do !

The #1 must see is the CN Tower - Over 1800 feet tall, and it has a glass floor ! Just opened at the CN Tower - Edge Walk, Toronto’s tallest attraction now offers adventure lovers the ability to walk OUTSIDE – around the circumference of the roof, 365 metres above the ground !

http://www.cntower.ca

http://www.edgewalkcntower.ca/

Without knowing your family’s interests, it would be very difficult to make suggestions / recommendations. The more information you provide, the more detailed replies you will receive.

Best Regards

p.s. From WelshyTraveller's other post, they will be in Toronto starting September 21st.

Cardiff, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Hi

Thanks for input both. I appreciate my questions were a little vague. We are both in our early thirties. We would like maybe a couple days in the city and possibly a little road trip to less populated areas, more picturesque.

any nice harbour villages ? or mountain drives ?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,123 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

You're Welcome !

About 165 miles / 265 km, a 3 hour drive east of Toronto, are the towns of Kingston and Gananoque.

In the town of Kingston, you won't want to miss Fort Henry, which has been designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (UNESCO)

The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154992-d65…

http://www.forthenry.com/

Just 18 miles east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr, 2.5 hr, or 5 hr boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out;

The Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

1000 Islands Skydeck

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200493-d1…

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664-…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/yonca/hoteldetail…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Canada has a natural beauty that MUST be seen, which is why I'm suggesting some time in the 1000 Islands Region.

Best Regards

Edited: 01 August 2011, 14:40
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

WelshyTraveller, I see you're pretty new to TA, so first, welcome, and 2nd, a few things that might help you use TA Forums for info gathering.

On the left side of the page, you'll see a ton of blue titles, which are all links to things that most people want to know about each city they go to. Stuff like: Travel Guide, Things to Do, Hotels. On the right, as previously noted, are the FAQs about the city.

One thing our European visitors never quite realize about coming to Toronto, or Canada, is that it really is a big place here. There are times during the day that driving for 3 hours will only take you from one side of Toronto to the other. As for mountains or harbour villages...well, Toronto's kinda inland in the middle-ish of Canada. The mountains generally tend to be out on the west coast, about 4 hours worth of plane travel, and the harbour villages (if you're looking for what I think you are, based on my own visits to Great Britain) are out on our east coast, about 2.5 hours of plane travel. It's not like in Europe where you can head out by car in the morning and have lunch in another country in the afternoon.

Generally, 3 days would be a minimum time for exploring Toronto; this is North America's 4th largest city, and there's a lot to see and do here. But if you're only here for 3 nights, and you're looking for places outside of Toronto, I am wondering whether Toronto's a good idea for you to land in, or whether you should be headed out to, say, Niagara. In addition to the amazing Niagara Falls, you also have the beautiful Niagara on the Lake and our wine region. All of that area is much less urban that Toronto, and more in the picturesque you were asking about. And you could easily fill in those 3 days just doing a day at the falls, a day in NOTL and a day doing the food/wine tours out there. Niagara is about 2 hours' drive from Toronto centre.

I see by your other posts in other forums that you're looking to come here via car from a visit in New York City. It might be worthwhile doing the math to see what a car hire is going to cost you (remembering that you must use an agency that will allow you to cross the border between two countries, the United States and Canada). If you're planning on hiring in the US and dropping the car in Canada, that may cost you a whollop. If you stay in the Niagara region, and then return the car by going back to the US, it may not be so awful, and then you fly to your next (home?) destination out of the US.

Perhaps you might wish to consider flying from NY to Toronto as an alternative method. Cars are really NOT needed for central Toronto; we have an excellent simple and user friendly transit system. There are lots of flight options between NYC and Toronto; one of the forum favourites here is Porter Airlines, which you can pick up at Newark Airport (EWR) and fly into downtown Toronto, which will put you within minutes of most of the world's most popular hotel brands. Virtually every international brand has a hotel here in downtown.

Your query about "best area to stay": given that 3 day issue, I would say downtown core. If you keep Google maps open while you check the hotel list at the left, anything that says central, downtown, or Yorkville in its name will put you in our core. For mapping purposes, use Bloor Street on the north, Front Street on the south, Jarvis St. on the east and Bathurst St. on the west as your boundaries. Anything that falls within there is going to be roughly 15 minutes to anywhere by transit in the downtown areas.

Hope that helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Toronto can keep you very occupied for 3-4 days. Stay downtown. You don't need a car, take public transport (primarily subway downtown) and good bit of walking.

A few suggestions all in downtown:CN Tower, Harbourfront/Queen's Quay, Toronto Island; Eaton Centre, Queen St. W., Art Gallery of Ontario, Chinatown, Kensington Market; Bloor West/Yorkville, Royal Ontario Museum.

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

If you have not seen it before then I would recommend a trip to Niagara Falls. It is about 2 hours away, but you would need a car (there may be buses that go there also, I am not sure).

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
325 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

Personally if I had a day and I was from Europe, I would either drive about 1 hour to Port Perry or drive 2 hours up to Gravenhurst. Both these places are small towns on lakes and you will get a cottage like feel that you just do not have in Great Britain. This would be a much nicer slice of Canada than going to Niagara Falls which is so touristy.

The Residence Inn in Gravenhurst has a real nice location on the water if you wanted to stay the night. I am certain you would enjoy this.

10. Re: Toronto 4 days what to do ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 16:15