We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
in canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Hello.

We are looking for a few options for accomodations near Young st and Lawrence for a few nights.

Cannot find anything on google maps and I know that Pearson is around there for airport hotels but this is on the other side of the airport I believe.

Any suggestions for hotels and if not hotel then a B&B

Thanks Windy

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Yonge (note correct spelling) & Lawrence is a residential area, and thus very few hotels in the neighbourhood. One option would the Glengrove Suites, which are semi-longstay suites. They are located just south of Lawrence on Yonge.

http://glengrove.com/

There is the Best Western Roehampton at Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton - approx. 2-3 miles south and east. Also there are hotels north of the area in North York.

Your other option might be to see if there are any apartment rentals in the area on vrbo. The area boundaries you might use would be:

Eglinton Avenue to the south, Avenue Road to the west, Mt. Pleasant Rd. to the east, and York Mills Blvd. to the north.

in canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Thanks for your response back phpr

Would the airport hotels be far from there?

Best Western how would you say that hotel is, the other one I just found is the Radisson Hotel at 55 Hallcrown Place

thanks so much, we do prefer a hotel for sure

Windy..

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

With the best possible traffic, you're still looking at a 20 -25 minute drive out to the airport hotels.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Have you thought about staying downtown and just taking the subway up to Lawrence? That's another option.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Glengrove and Roehampton are the only hotels in the Yonge & Lawrence area. The next closest hotels to this area are the Westin Prince, on York Mills, the Holiday Inn Yorkdale or the Novotel North York.

That particular branch of the Glengrove Suites will allow nightly purchases (as opposed to their other properties with minimum stay times).

Yonge & Lawrence is not particularly "close" to the Airport. If you have anything time sensitive in that neighbourhood, the traffic snarls are pretty much at their worst in the Airport area of the Highway 401, so I wouldn't recommend you stay at the Airport. The Novotel is a nice little hotel, just up at North York Civic Centre; it's roughly a 7 minute subway train to Lawrence. That would be my choice. Roehampton gets mixed reviews; depends on the expectations of the clientele.

I've booked biz clients into 3 of these; Novotel is my first choice, Glengrove = #2, Holiday Inn = #3 and Roehampton is last up. Westin Prince is lovely, but it is more geared to the Don Mills business clientele than Yonge & Lawrence; it would be a bit of a stretch in the morning traffic.

Edited: 05 August 2011, 22:34
in canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

wow OK, thanks

That is great advice. Yes I have to write an Exam at 730 in the morning at Willis College and need to stay overnight but not wanting to take a subway.

I will look at the Novotel and Glengrove next.

I guess the airport is out of the question then as I cannot afford to not be there on time.

I have a vehichle so have transportation. How far would the Novotel be from Yonge and Lawrence?

Thanks again

Windy

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

I wouldn't rule out the subway completely. It starts running a little before 6 am Monday thru Saturday, so you could easily get there with time to spare. Depending on where you stay, it may be easier and cheaper than driving and parking.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

Novotel to Yonge & Lawrence is only about 10 minutes to drive. However, there's not much in the way of parking at Y&L - side streets and meter parking on Yonge. There's a subway stop right at the Novotel, and you'd be down to the Lawrence stop in about 5 minutes. Personally - if I was writing an exam and therefore somewhat stressed, I'd take the subway - quick & cheap, as opposed to driving around trying to find a parking spot. You could always leave your car at the hotel (which will charge for parking) and pick it up after your exam.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

I just googled up Willis, and I know exactly what building that is. It is immediately above the Y&L subway. Novotel is a 1-minute walk around the corner to the North York Centre station. Y&L is 3 stops south of there. I believe the entire subway trip will take 10 minutes. First train on weekdays leaves just prior to 6 a.m.

I can tell you from personal experience: you will freak out trying to park in that area! There is a big piece of construction going on just north of Lawrence, and the parking on side streets is restricted before 10 a.m. precisely because of their proximity to that subway station (people park their cars on the side streets, leaving them all day, to go downtown, and not have to pay downtown rates). There is one parking lot in the area, a few streets north of there, hidden off a side street. Otherwise, it's metered street parking, with a max of 2 hours, and again, that doesn't start til 10 a.m.

If you book Novotel, ask if you can substitute parking instead of getting breakfast included. Then just leave your car there all day while you take the exam.

If you can get Glengrove for a short stay, it is approximately 7 minutes walk north from there. You can almost see the building from the Glengrove, and they have a wee parking lot at the side of the building.

Do not do not do not go for an airport hotel. You will be travelling during rush hour through the worst congestion on the 401. Repeat: stay away from booking the airport hotel!!! LOL, did I make m'self clear on that??!

in canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for hotel close to Young and Lawrence area

That is some great advice..ok will look at novotel and subway..

I understand parking is very restricted in that area which will be frustrating to say the least..

yes flyinmom..lol..you made yourself very clear..lol

Any comments on the Best Western close by?