We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Creek Pioneer Village

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
482 reviews
Save Topic
Black Creek Pioneer Village

I searched this topic but there is nothing posted that is current.

Is it worth going to on my upcoming trip? How long should we stay? What is the best time of day?

Dean in Canada

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Gosh I have not been there for years

Yes it is interesting if you like to see how our ancestors lived , it is surrounded by the city now

http://www.blackcreek.ca/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

It all depends on how much time you have, and how likely you are to enjoy what they offer (Kids and history buff adults seem to really like it). However, it's a trek from downtown.

If you're staying downtown, and your time in the city is limited, don't do it. It will take you about an hour on TTC (subway and bus combination) each way, and depending on traffic, a little bit less than an hour by car. Pioneer Village sits literally at northern edge of the amalgamated city.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,020 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Hi Dean;

I would suggest arriving late morning, and planning to spend about 3 hours.

Best Regards

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Black Creek Pioneer Village is lovely, but often best viewed through the eyes of children. However, if you are a photo buff, it's a wonderful place to get some interesting shots. It is glorious in the fall, but I am uncertain of your arrival time.

If you have kids with you, expect it to occupy a full morning or full afternoon. Personally, I always preferred it in the morning, less people.

It is difficult to reach by public transit, so if you don't have access to a car, that might be one of your deciding factors.

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Thanks for the replies. I will have a car and being an ex-Torontonian I haven't been there for probably 40 years!

I plan on buying the tickets on line to save a few bucks.

Dean in Canada

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

A car will definitely help; just remember it's probably best to avoid Hwy 407 (the electronic toll road) if it's a rental.

If Vaughan Mills shopping centre or the McMichael Collection art gallery are also in your plans, you could make a full day of it, as they're in the same corner of the city.

And please do report back. It hasn't gotten many reviews on the Things To Do list, though most of the reviews are good.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 18:17
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Whoa, a bit of a redirect here. Black Creek is at Jane & Steeles (Murray Ross Parkway, specifically), while McMichael Canadian Art Collection is about 25 minutes to the north in the village of Kleinburg. Vaughan Mills is roughly halfway between the two, if you go up Hwy 400. Yes, you could make a day of them all, but they are not really close together.

Dean, if you haven't been in 40 years, and you're a former Torontonian, then for sure, take a spin up there. A few changes since the last time you were there, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You will be more than a little startled about how much more built up the area around it is, since York University is now very much in evidence nearby, and the community has grown much since those days.

Children or not, it is a lovely respite from "city" life; sort of like the same kind of feeling you get at Riverdale Farm, a little bit removed, yet reality just streets away.

Enjoy.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

FLYINMOM

Wow another blast from the past for me Riverdale farm or Zoo as it was when we lived across the road from it

My brother & I use to go over everyday after school & feed the rabbits

Sorry to wander off topic...just getting old LOL

Western Canada
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Just to clarify, I come to Toronto at least once a year but have not been to Black Creek Pioneer Village for 40 years.

I am looking forward to it.

Dean in Canada

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Creek Pioneer Village

Hi Carlitguy,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

Black Creek Pioneer Village is probably a MUST DO if you have fond memories as a child there.

BUT personally, given the choice I much prefer Upper Canada Village (Morrisburg)... and I know that from past topics that you also get to Eastern Ontario from time-to-time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2