We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

Prince Albert...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. They lied about my booking and didn't even try to resolve my complaint. There is nothing "EZ" about renting from them. We reserved a PT Cruiser nearly 3 weeks in advance because we had six pieces of luggage, three dogs and two dog carriers. I carefully researched Toronto Airport Rental companies well in advance for large enough vehicles without paying excessive amounts for the car. Calculating the interior space of a Cruiser, I determined it was large enough for our needs. I booked online and received confirmation.

We arrived at the airport only to find they are not situated there, but "off airport", and you have to go to a great deal of trouble to get to the place where they eventually pick you up. When we finally arrived, they said no PT Cruiser was available and tried to offer us a Toyota Camry. I demanded the Cruiser I had booked and they said they didn't even have one in the fleet. They offered to "upgrade" me to a Honda Civic, and when I pointed out the mountain of luggage to the manager, he turned and walked away from me, saying we "could take it or not take it".

We cancelled the booking and rented from another nearby agency and received a bigger vehicle for the same price. DO NOT RENT FROM EZ Rent-A-Car. They lied and misrepresented themselves and their service. They showed absolutely no interest in supplying a vehicle they didn't even have in the first place. They are the perfect example of a company who just wants to take your money and if you try to hold them accountable, make excuses and tell more lies. EZ Rent-A-Car IS A SCAM.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

Hi Dan L,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are a Brand NEW Member of TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Sorry, to hear about your car rental woes… but honestly cannot say that I am surprised… countless stories here in the CANADA FORUMS about Travellers who have chosen to rent cars from smaller firms… and the perils of making those choices.

As a NEW Member of TA let me offer up this…

TripAdvisor is best used as a Trip Planning Site… a place where you go to BEFORE your vacation to learn as much as you can about a Destination prior to travel

A quick FORUM SEARCH turned up several previous posts about EZ CAR… if you had checked in here beforehand… you might have made another choice for your needs.

For Trip Planning, TA truly excels as you can learn from others and hopefully avoid some of the pitfalls… and also be able to save time, money and frustration.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

Here we go again.There are two kinds of rental agencies here. One type are the big guns. The reliable ones, with offices across Canada, so that if something goes wrong, you will not be stranded. They have a large inventory of vehicles, but I have yet ever to get the vehicle I had asked for anytime I have rented from Hertz for example. The unreliable ones, are basically one location only, certainly not at the airport. They can't afford airport rents. They tend to be very 'off-handish' about their customers (or should I say "marks"). The cars are ones that have been clapped out by the major rental agencies (it's where Hertz (etc) rental cars go to die.). So for the sake of saving a few dollars, you have nothing but headaches. I cannot understand people coming from Europe to here, having spent thousands of pounds or euros to get here, and then won't pay for a decent, safe, reliable car. The only people who should rent from these people are locals who need a cheap vehicle for local business etc. But even locals tend to stay away from these guys too.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

Car models are *never* guaranteed at all rental agencies, except for the PRESTIGE collection at Hertz and other exotic car(Ferrari, etc..) rental places.

I don't see how you can rent a PT Cruizer "guaranteed" at any other rental companies, except at a new car dealer, I suppose.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 22:02
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

I think you can rent a mini-van...but which of the ones you get, I don't think you can guarantee. Now I have done this..albeit in Cologne, Germany. I had rented a car described as a compact car. They had ready for me one of those mini minor things. Obviously looking at my wife with a walker, and me a cane and 4 large suitcases, they did get me a bigger vehicle, but I had to wait for them to clean it. Other than that experience, I have always got the class of car I ordered, but no particular model.

Edited: 31 August 2011, 22:48
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

TO TRAVELS1940,

Our Rental History is similar (But then we only use the BIG GUYS)... if I rented one size of car, and for some unforeseen reason there was none left... happened to us when we flew into Orlando very late at night... then they gave us a BIGGER Vehicle (one level up) for the same price.

I honestly have NO COMPLAINTS when I use a BIG GUY in the Car Rental Biz... find it hard to understand why folks choose these small discounters when the Internet proves out they are riddled with issues (many of them very very serious... tons of complaints with the Better Business Bureau etc)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

I totally agree with you. I just rented with EZ Rent-A-Car. Not only the shuttle was really slow, service was unfriendly, but I received a dirty car, 3/4 gas, among others. I was so tired that decided to take the car. When I returned the car, I was asked to leave the keys at the hotel's front office. Of course, I never got a receipt, it's been two weeks, and I am sitting and waiting. We have called so many times, and every time we call, we are put on hold! They always say they will send the document but they don't. There is no manager I can speak to, and it is really frustrating!! NEVER save a few bucks for this terrible experience.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

Is this your first time renting a car? or just switching to a new account to complain once more?

I never rented from EZ and probably never will. But when I use the drop box for Hertz/Avis, I don't get a receipt for 1-2 weeks. In fact once I rented from Hertz in France and returned the car to the staffed counter, but I still couldn't get a receipt until several weeks later. It is next to impossible to talk on the phone to anyone from any rental agency at the airport (Hertz, Avis)... because they are too busy with customers standing in front of them. And I am a hertz #1 gold member.

You did not have a terrible experience. It's not great, but not terrible.

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

I have to agree with Dan L. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY, AT LEAST THE ONE AT THE TORONTO AIRPORT!!! They Lie!!

When I went to pick up the vehicle at the Sheraton Hotel, off site from the airport, I had asked if the car they were giving me had winter tires and Usman said no but he could upgrade me to a Rav 4, all wheel drive for an extra $3 a day, total $9 additional on what I was originally quoted which was $28.27 a day ($84.80 total for 3 days)with taxes and all fees in this price, so then with the $3 added a day, then I understand, the fee and taxes would be added on top of that. Car was to be dropped off Monday at 1pm but instead dropped it off on Sunday evening at 6pm. The gentleman there said the total was $174.60, a far cry of $84.80 or even say $100 with the $9 added for the upgrade. The man said he couldn't do anything but would leave a note for Usman; I called 2 days later to discuss and go over our specific conversation we had had and the third man that works on site said that it was impossible that he quoted me this price and that he would take off $20. Yippee!! So annnoyed but I should have not been so trusting and made sure I read the contract and had that price marked down and noted before I accepted it!! If you do feel the need to rent from these spinsters, do read everything and make sure you question everything!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!!!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,592 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

>>"I should have not been so trusting and made sure I read the contract and had that price marked down and noted before I accepted it!!"<<

Good practice to consider BEFORE signing any contract !

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: EZ Rent-A-Car unbelievably shoddy service

I will not rent from EZ , the service man is rude and not agreeable when I check with him on the bill. I waited there over 30 mins for the shuttle and took taxi finially.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 19:06