We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental experince

TORONTO
1 post
Save Topic
car rental experince

Hi everyone

I rented a car from the agancy called Transcanada Car Rental it was arranged to be picked up and dropped off at the YYZ airport .At the arrival it actually did not happen so .I had to take a monorail and then a shuttele to Cheratone hotel on 803 Dixon road and pick it up there and the more awfully drop it at the same place which took me 45 minutes before my flight to get a ride to the airport .I thought that might be helpfull to share this with others .

The unbleivable point was that I had sent them an Email to ask wher in the airport their desk was and never recieved an answer

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental experince

Here are a few facts about YYZ. After 9/11, it is forbidden to leave any vehicle unattended anywhere near the terminal. All vehicles have to put into the parking lot. Any buses etc that are waiting for passengers (other than public transit) have to be in an area away from the terminals, and when the passengers are ready to board them they have to be called (usually by a cell phone call to the driver). If a company tells you that your car will be ready for you at the terminal, it would have had to bring it and park in public parking, which at YYZ is extremely expensive. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of $5, per half hour. YYZ has the highest departure fees, rental rates etc in the world, and so, most of the car rental agencies moved off airport property, or closed their airport desks after 9/11. With this information, you should know that it is unlikely, no matter what is said, cars will be available as in every other airport in the world.

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental experince

I would have to disagree with the last poster- all of the major car rental companies are still onsite in both terminals at Pearson airport. Their cars are picked up and dropped off at a designated section of the parking garage.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental experince

Indeed, the major rental companies have desks and cars in a special area of the parking garages that are attached to each terminal. And as we've seen from this post and too many others like it, it's best to stick to the major car rental companies.

Also the notion that Pearson has the "highest rental rates" in the world is a complete falsehood -- one of those made-up statistics that's sadly an esteemed tradition on this forum. I used Expedia to get car rental quotes for a week-long rental in October, and the cheapest car from an on-airport rental location at Pearson cost $249, all included. This was cheaper than Montreal ($251), Calgary and Winnipeg (both $293), New York - JFK and LaGuardia ($299), Paris - Charles de Gaulle ($300), Newark ($377), Tokyo - Narita ($626), and Singapore - Changi ($737).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental experince

I guess I need to clarify my statement. I meant that the car rental desks are not in the terminal buildings as in Europe in the arrivals area. I sorry to confuse people on this issue. Having some insight into the car rental business, the rates that one pays for a car really has little to do with the airport itself, it has to do with the volume of business done there (due to the size of the market), and being competitive with other big names in the same location. It is unfair to compare places like Singapore with Toronto as the rental insurance rules etc can be altogether different in different countries. Believe me, I rent cars frequently all over in Europe, and it is impossible to compare prices without looking at the fine print. No two agreements are the same.

I have heard, (an urban myth maybe) but the landing fees at Pearson are the highest cost in North America. As well, I have been told that the departure fees are the highest and also the rent paid by the shops etc in the terminals is higher than anywhere else. I can see this as Pearson is run not as a government service (such airports in Europe) but as a money making consortium.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental experince

TransCanada Car Rental agencies are terrible. Do not use their service. Many extra charges and the even charged a service fee for a ticket I apparently received. I had difficulty getting anyone to return my calls. No one spoke English clearly enough to understand. Terrible service and had to wait forever at the shady rental agency (looked like a third world hell hole)as well as at the airport for a shuttle. Would never use again. Would rather ride a smelly camel in the scorching hot desert!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental experince

Travels- what is wrong with making money? And why should the taxpayers of a country subsidize people who want to travel?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental experince

Whether the landing fees and departure fees for Pearson are high or not has nothing to do with car rentals at YYZ.

Like many airports in North America, the tier 1 car rental companies are located at the airport and the tier 2 and 3 type companies with the so-called bargain rates are located off site.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental experince

Right on their website they give the address of their location and you can see it is not at the airport. In fact, their main web page states clearly "we now have locations near P.E Trudeau Airport and Pearson International Airport in Toronto. "

Nowhere do they state it is actually AT the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,626 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental experince

I noticed the same thing with regard to the address, not actually right AT the airport.............

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental experince

Well, I guess you get what you pay for. We rented at Transcanada in Toronto to save some money over the big firms. We knew it was off-site, but it is really quite a ways off-off-site. We had to go to departure level to get the bus to Viscount station, then call the agency twice to get our pickup. The car we rented - it was only 1/2 full of fuel at pickup, one tire was a spare and missing a hubcap, and it smelled of smoke. The rental agency insisted we were required to purchase liability insurance - although it was nowhere stated in our reservation that this was mandatory - we don't know Canadian driving law enough to argue. When we returned the car, it took them 35 minutes to arrange a shuttle back to the airport train. Only positive note was that we had been "upgraded" to a full size car - I think it's the only one they had available. Next time we will pay that extra bit to take a car right from the airport from a reputable firm.