We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Toronto to New York City?

Israel
Level Contributor
19 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Toronto to New York City?

Hello,

I need to get from Toronto ON to NYC on early October. Since I can't find a cheap flight (all airlines over 175 USD one way) I will probably take a bus. Can someone recommend for me about a reliable and comfortable bus company to due this route and about the reservation process?

I'm not a native English speaker and not local in north America, so I want to make it as simple as possible. Not my first time in TOR or NYC though.

Thank you all for helping me,

Jonathan

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

Megabus (http://us.megabus.com/) and Greyhound (www.greyhound.com/) are the best options.

Besides doing the whole trip by bus, you could also look at taking either of those buses to Buffalo Airport and flying to NYC from there. Flights within the U.S. are usually cheaper than international ones.

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

You may also want to check flyporter.com for flights from Newark to Toronto City Centre airport. They also have a free shuttle right into the city from the airport. Should be about $100-150 one way with taxes.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

LY315 is right about airfare from Toronto. Porter's cheapest all-in one way fare, midweek, early October, to Newark is $193. Air Canada matches that base fare to either LaGuardia or Newark and all-in charges $188. (That said, AC will soon be charging for the first checked bag on flights to/from the US.) The difference in the all-in numbers, BTW, is that the Airport Improvement Fee at Pearson is $5 lower (contrary to all popular opinion and oft-repeated urban legends).

Porter is known for having a 30% off sale every few weeks (which is then matched by Air Canada), but since they just finished a 50% off sale last week, I don't know if one will come along soon enough to help LY.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

Matt, I can see a mid-week Porter flight for $177. Checkin of 1 hour and travel time of 1.5 hours for 2 1/2 hours travel time.

For comparison:

- Megabus from Toronto to NYC is $45-$64 with 11 hours travel time but puts you in Manhattan instead of an airport outside the city.

- Bus to Buffalo Airport would be ~$14-$18 with3 hours travel time. Jetblue flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from Buffalo to JFK are as low as $90 total with 90 minute checkin and 1 hour flight. Total of $110 for bus/plane combo with 5 1/2 hour travel time.

LY315

It all depends on how much your time is worth. Obviously the bus is cheaper, but if speed is important, then one of the other options may be better.

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

I would agree with fellow members and check megabus.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

you can see the prices right on the megabus website, the last time I did it the price was about $82 return, keep in mind it was a 10 hour bus ride

7. Re: Bus from Toronto to New York City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 11:18