We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

There are no hotel rooms available Sept 19-21 - is this due to TIFF (even though it ends on Sept 18th)? Anyone have any secrets as to how to find a room downtown even though all the websites show sold out?

I have to head to Toronto for work but can only find places near the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

No, TIFF is quite heavily front-loaded and many of the stars (and some of the media) have already left. But SIBOS, an international financial conference during that week with 8000 attendees could definitely be a factor (since the vast majority of them will be out-of-towers).

Still, I'm amazed by how hard it is to find anything. An Expedia search turned up a standard twin room at the Strathcona for $950 a night -- its regular price is $190.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

Try searching for a B&B. I had the same problem a few years ago and had a co-worker stay at the Madison Manor Hotel (Bloor and Spadina Area), or give www.homeaway.com a try.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

Often times the websites show sold, but if you call a place directly, you may have better luck. We are all so reliant on internet that we forget to try the old fashioned way, which often nets results.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

September is a popular time for tourists. Mostly because of the film festival. Attendance at TIFF has exceeded 260,000!! Even hotels outside the city of Toronto are booked. People from all over the world come to Toronto for the film festival.

Also tourists who want to visit Toronto and not deal with TIFF will be arriving as soon as TIFF is over. Book early when travelling to Toronto in September!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

http://www.bbcanada.com/8670.html

this is available bed and breakfast , 181.00 per night

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

Doubt my company will approve a B and B unfortunately - we do have a hotel booked out by the airport but it would have been nice to be close to our office.

Now I know about September in Toronto - I'll plan my trips outside of September in the future!

7. Re: No Downtown Hotels Available Sept 19-21 - TIFF??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 00:16