We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Hi

I am heading to Toronto this weekend and would like to find a few shops that specialize in the above topic. I am looking for something to wear to a beach wedding in the Carribean. I have googled my butt off and really can't find anything. I imagine some shops do not have a website. If anyone can point me in some direction I would really appreciate it. I am actually staying in Ajax but am willing to commute a reasonable distance. There is not much to offer in Ottawa and I find it hard to believe Toronto has little either? Thanks :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,890 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

You might find something at the larger malls but everyone is getting winter wear in now

If you cannot find anything in Ottawa you may not find anything in Toronto

Look for some of the small shops maybe in Pickering or Scarborough

Cruise wear will be out in Dec /Jan

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

On your way to Ajax you might stop in Kingston at the KingsCrossing outlet Mall, (Division exit off 401), in particular Designer Fashion Exchange ( on your left as you enter the mall parking area).

When I was there in May, they had mostly winter clear out, so I'm guessing they would have summer clear out now. They did have some things that would be wedding suitable.

The luck of the draw but worth a stop.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Hi KanataGurl,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

I'll agree with you on this front... Ottawa has a poor selection of summer clothes... and especially so if one is looking for dresses.

I always make a point of checking out stores whenever I am in the US during the summertime...particularly so if I am in a "beach" Destination... they just get things we never see !!

Late September and I wish you luck... as the others have said it might only be good fortune if you find something in a store this late in the season... and indeed "Cruise Wear" won't be in the stores until late December or January.

Sorry, I don't have any better news...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Thank you for the replies.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Thank you for that tip - I will try and check this place out!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

The problem is that "cruise wear" is actually considered a fashion season, but that comes out pre-spring fashions. You usually see cruise wear in the shops around February/March. With Toronto being in the winter zone of Canada, at this time of year all the fall and winter products are in the stores, not cruise wear. Yes, there are shops like Melmira Bra and Swimsuits that sell bathing suits, but not tropical dresses. Now, places like Laura sell formal wear that often has chiffon or lightweight fabric, geared toward the xmas season now, and perhaps that might work (see places like Yorkdale, Fairview, Sherway Gardens). But, unfortunately, a resort-wear specialty shop would probably not be financially sustainable in this 6-8 months of winter climate.

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Have you looked at ordering from sears they have summer clothing available all year

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
388 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Thanks everyone

I actually stopped in Kingston on the way home from Toronto at "KingsCrossing outlet Mall, (Division exit off 401), in particular Designer Fashion Exchange ( on your left as you enter the mall parking area)" as "ontheroad16" suggested and although it was mostly fall and winter right now - and I must say fantastic designer clothing at great prices...I found the perfect dress...just what I had in mind. Thank you to all and in particular "ontheroad16".

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Hi KanataGurl,

So glad to hear that you found something...

For future reference...

Syracuse & Upstate NY is the answer to every frustrated Ottawans shopping fantasy... they have wonderful End of Season Clearances a couple of times a year... the turn-over is HUGE and the bargains truly UNBELIEVABLE !!

I and several GFs, swear by our annual visits to Carousel Mall to hit the BIG US Department Stores (Macy's - JC Penneys - The Bon Ton - Lord & Taylor) for Labour Day (Summer Clothes) and New Years (Winter & Holiday Wear)...

Infact, Syracuse & Upstate NY is virtual OASIS when it comes to amazing shopping vs Ottawa's norms... Carousel Mall - Great Northern Mall (Clay NY) - Fayetteville Towne Centre (Fayetteville NY) - Waterloo Premium Outlets (Waterloo NY) - Salmon Run Mall (Watertown NY)

Carousel Center = http://www.carouselcenter.com/

Great Northern Mall = http://www.greatnorthernmall.com/

Fayetteville Towne Centre = www.corcompanies.com/properties/fayetteville/

Waterloo Premium Outlets = www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Salmon Run Mall = http://www.shopsalmonrunmall.com/

Outside of Canada 24 to 48 Hours and you can bring back goods worth $ 50 CDN… DUTY FREE

Outside of Canada 48 Hours or more and you can bring back goods worth $ 400 CDN… DUTY FREE (many cross-border shoppers swear this is the best deal to be had)

Outside of Canada 7 Days or more and you can bring back good worth $ 750 CDN… DUTY FREE

For more info see the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Document “I Declare”

cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

Two nights in an inexpensive Hotel in Syracuse will cost under $ 200 US (Total) and well-worth it... take a GF along and get a room with 2 Queens & split the cost half-n-half.

My last shopping trip I came home with over $ 250 US (aprox 15 items) in goods on Sale with tickets that came in at over $ 800 US Full Price... here in Canada Full Price would have been closer to $ 1000 Cdn... never mind the fact that more than half the half the stuff I bought... you'd never see / find in Canada.

Examples... Designer Brand-name Pants for $ 11 (found similar in Ottawa this week for $ 100... still not on sale)... and brand name shoes for $ 15 (found similar in Ottawa for $ 160... again full price)... one cannot even begin to compare... things are just that crazy !! Not uncommon to find things selling off at LESS than $ 5 per item.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 26 September 2011, 06:15
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort/Cruise/Tropic Wear Shop (Dresses)

Kanata Gurl:

Glad you found what you were looking for.

Just getting to wear what I bought in May now that Fall is in the air.