We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Hi,

Having never flown this route before (or anywhere nearby) I would just like to get an idea of what would be considered a good deal. Right now the lowest price I'm finding is around $500 for a few dates in Nov, but as I am pretty flexible in terms of dates, I can wait until the price is right (ie next year). I have used several comparison websites.

Many thanks,

M

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Hi Cruellad,

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

Not sure what the "average" rates would be... but can tell you that you'll be looking at what is considered an "International" Flight (crossing the Border between Canada & the USA)... and this certainly accounts for higher fares (especially when it comes to Fees & Taxes)

IF your plans are to visit here as a Tourist... then you may want to look at the possibility of flying in and out of Buffalo in Upstate NY (aprox 2-1/2 Hours South of Toronto)... especially so if your plans include a visit to the Niagara Region / Niagara Falls (basically across the Niagara River from that same area).

Many Canadians fly to the US out of northern US Cities because even when looking at the addition of transportation (which is BTW excellent from Toronto to Niagara Falls or Buffalo... Rental Cars - Train - Buses) the pricing is a lot more attractive... JetBlue for example flies to Buffalo.

Something to consider.

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Although I'm not familiar with that particular route, $500 is not unusual for a transborder flight of that length. You can keep an eye on the Air Canada seat sales page for deals posted weekly (aircanada.com/us/…) -- they and US Airways are the only ones with non-stop Charlotte-Toronto flights. You might consider also asking in the Air Travel forum (tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…).

It'll probably be colder here in January than November. Of course, if you're really flexible, wait until April or May -- it may not be cheaper, but it will be warmer!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Have a look at www.kayak.com. Good place to find flight info from all the different airlines; they are powered by the same software that the ITA uses for travel agents.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

The airports in most major Canadian cities face competition from border towns in the northern US. Buffalo Niagara International airport, in particular, is quite aggressive in promoting itself on its website as an alternative to Toronto Pearson. That is because it is located adjacent to a much larger potential market north of the border than its immediate catchment area in New York State.

Good for them. This type of competition is beneficial for travelers, but it needs to be put in perspective. Pearson Airport has over 30 million passengers per year. Buffalo Niagara International has about 6 million, a third who come from southern Ontario. So while there is clearly diversion of price sensitive traffic, it is still fairly small in the overall scheme of things.

I just looked on Jet Blue’s website and found that a random return booking from Charlotte to Buffalo was $423 including taxes in mid November. (A lower fare was possible for a 5:45 AM departure.) That is less than $500, but not enough to divert time sensitive traffic. As suggested flying via Buffalo would not make much sense to most travelers unless the intention was to combine the trip to Toronto with a tour the Niagara Region.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

I'm no huge fan of the Buffalo airport -- you pay the price in convenience (extra travel time, border crossing) and expense of getting to/from downtown Toronto (or for locals, long-term parking vs. getting a ride to Pearson). It makes no sense for going overseas, since you add a connection (often through chronically delayed NYC-area airports) vs. the huge choice of non-stops from Pearson. And small airports have downsides in more limited facilities and fewer alternate flights -- I was once delayed overnight flying back to Buffalo because, according to my airline, the airport "closed early" (!). As you say, "time-sensitive" business travellers aren't going to defect.

But, for those who have a little extra time, US domestic flights really do tend to be cheaper. Flyinmom wisely points to Kayak for checking all the airlines. It all depends on specific dates, but I see mid-November, mid-week, mid-day CLT-BUF flights from US$247.30 on Delta and US$251.30 on AirTran (both including all taxes/fees). Pair that with a roundtrip ticket on Megabus (on those dates, US$28.50), and you save more than $200, but lose about 6 hours to connections and transfers, vs. flying direct to Pearson.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

You could try Priceline.com:

…priceline.com/airlines/fareResults.do…

Since you are originating from a US airport, you can name your own price. If you don't win, you can try again in 3 days.

Generally, flying out on a Tuesday or Thursday seems to yield the cheapest prices. And you can sign up for price drop alerts if you are flexible on dates.

Good luck! :-)

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Toronto airport is more busy but many folks are flying between city's in Canada. Makes even less sense say to fly from Vancouver to Buffalo to go to Toronto.

Cause you are starting from the USA you still have to pass through customs somewhere, if not from Buffalo, then at the airport in Toronto. Its only a 3 hour bus trip from Buffalo, to me 3 hours is short but maybe not to all.

But you still need to travel from Pearson airport to the downtown area--if that is where your going, plan on 30--40 mins for that trip. There has to be shuttle services from Buffalo to Toronto and likely you can get drop off near Union station. Pearson airport isn't no sure bet things will go fast and smooth, I recall seeing not so long ago stories about major travel delays in Toronto--strike or something, seems like there is always some strike going on in Canada, lol (or talk of it)

If you search the travel forums--Niagara Falls for sure--you should find lots of info on shuttle buses from Buffalo to Toronto. I would not recommend renting a car since parking is $25--$30 a day in downtown, then again if only a 2--4 day trip maybe it still be cheaper depending on how many people are flying. A rental car can hold 3--4 people plus luggage, if you save $300 a person it adds up fast.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,570 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Forgot to add the best part about flying in to Buffalo and renting a car is you can stop in Niagara and check out the awesome falls!

It is more of a hassle thou over flying straight in to Toronto, its up to you to decide. A good case can be made for either way, Toronto or Buffalo. I got more free time than extra money to spend so Buffalo I would pick. I'm also comfortable driving anywhere--you do know it can get pretty cold up here even in November, heavy snow is unlikely but not unheard of in Nov.

Isn't 2--4 inches heavy snow down South, I believe so. That is a normal snow fall up here.

Edited: 22 October 2011, 05:04
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

Thanks so much for great info! Might fly to Buffalo and take a bus from there. Will get picked up once in T.O.

10. Re: Average cost of flights from Charlotte, NC to Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 07:15