We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,798 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

My current plans see myself and wife travelling from NYC to Toronto Sat 2 June next. I appreciate that the Amtrak Maple Leaf is a long trip of 12+ hours or so, but I do appreciate nice scenery. So, decisions. Trade off a potentially scenic, but long and tiring, rail trip for the expediency of flying instead?

Opinions welcomed.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

I'd fly. If money is an issue, fly to Buffalo, NY and take the bus. The Amtrak ride to Toronto isn't very scenic at all (although the one to Montreal is supposed to be)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,036 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Hi Frommy;

Another vote for flying.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Hi Frommy.... :-) *Smiles* & ~~Waves~~

Welcome to the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM

If you can afford to fly… fly.

The train trip besides being long doesn’t offer much in the way of scenery as a lot of Eastern Central Canada and the US is really quite flat… and dominated by farmland. Such is the trek from New York City to Toronto.

The exception is two bits of valley at the east end of the trip… the Mohawk & Hudson Vallies at the the bottom of the Adirondacks and thru the Catskills (Albany to NYCity area).

Scenic enough to spend 9 to 12 hours on a train? (Depending if you exit at Niagara Falls or Toronto)… NO. The exception “might be” if one was travelling in the Autumn when the leaves or nice… or Wintertime perhaps if one hasn’t seen snow before.

Flying between NYCity and Toronto is pretty easy… lots of flights every day. And of course now we also have Porter Air that flies right into Billy Bishop Field at the Toronto Island Airport (pretty much right Downtown Toronto). And Porter offers frequent seat-sales.

The mention of Buffalo NY is because a lot of people from Toronto fly in and out of there due to internal flights in the US being less money (NO International Border with extra Fees & Taxes… and the US has more deregulation than we do… so they have those bargain airlines like JetBlue). Certainly worth a look see if your intentions are to see Niagara Falls & the Niagara Region anyhow.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… URBANFOODIE has mentioned the Amtrak that runs between NYCity to Montreal… would agree that it is more scenic… as it makes its way up the aforementioned Mohawk & Hudson River Vallies … and then follows along the eastern edge of The Adirondacks…and the western shore of Lake Champlain. A nice ride year-round.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

On top of all that, the aesthetic disaster that is Penn Station might erase any memories of pleasant scenery on the trip. Fly, hope for a clear day, and get the scenery from above!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

12 hours on a so so train or 1.5 hours on a plane (plus obviously time wasted at the airport). I vote for air.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,798 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

I think I should consider that to be consensus. :)

I had read that the Adirondack to Montreal was quite scenic, but could not find much about the Maple Leaf to Toronto. I had also read that Penn Station could be a bit of a nightmare. We need to go to Toronto though to meet daughter who is coming across from Calgary and will be at the Blue Jays v Red Socks games.

Wine, we wil do Niagara Falls as a day trip before heading to Ottawa and Montreal with daughter, then we (not daughter) are sailing on the Maasdam from Montreal to Boston.

Thanks all for your guidance. What will the weather ....... (joking) :)

Edited: 28 October 2011, 03:40
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,798 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Wine, I have just had a look at Porter Airlines who never came up before on any of the regular search engines that I use to check on flights. It looks the goods to me, and does not seem to be too hard to get to Newark from NYC. It will be nice to get back to using an aircraft with propellers again, although it would be hard to top the last one I flew in, a 1959 deH Beaver float plane in Ketchikan AK. What a fabulous aircraft.

Thanks for the tip. I raise my glass of Crooked Post semillon, 2001, to you.

www.hunterresort.com.au/pdfs/cellar.pdf

Well, actually I raise my can of 2011 VB to you. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Actually, the two planes are related. The Beaver was officially the DHC-2, and Porter flies the Q400, the latest version of the DHC-8. Both were/are built right here in Toronto by deHavilland Canada, now owned by Bombardier, at factories up around Downsview airport.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Quite easy to get from NYC to Newark. A cab obviously will get you there, but also a commuter train link. Unfortunately it does mean dealing with the chaotic Penn Station ... simply hop the commuter train from Penn to Newark airport station, and transfer to the airport shuttle train which takes you right into the airport.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel NYC to Toronto. Amtrak or fly?

Porter had a sale the other day - not sure if it's still on. There were some very good prices on there - not sure if they'd work for when you're coming though. Porter does seem to have regular sales though.

ktown